I don't know if it is possible or not but was thinking if we can flash our PlayBook coz the motherboard is compatible to load Windows, Linux, Unix we can hack/crack to load multiple OS. Just a thought. IAKTOS who hacks OSX to run on other hardware rather than Apple's can make it happen on PB too or other team.

PlayBook motherboard - OMAP4430

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 03:26 PM
    It's an ARM processor. There isn't an ARM version of Windows yet.
    04-17-11 03:47 PM
    I am probably going to hold out on updating my playbook just to see if someone finds an exploit so we can dual boot it with android. I like android and I like the playbook and I really want to see them together

Lets see some cyanogenmod hopefully!
    But if not this is still a very solid tablet. I just like having choices..
    04-17-11 04:03 PM
    It's an ARM processor. There isn't an ARM version of Windows yet.
    Really? Windows 8 Runs Smooth On 1GHz ARM Processor
    Last edited by 312; 04-17-11 at 04:07 PM.
    04-17-11 04:04 PM
    I want Andriod OS 3.0 + QNX dual boot
    howarmat likes this.
    04-17-11 04:04 PM
    I want Andriod OS 3.0 + QNX dual boot
    i can see this happening actually
    04-17-11 04:25 PM
    Sigh... RELEASED version of Windows.
    04-17-11 04:28 PM
    Dual booting gets old fast. I remember when dual booting was all the rage on Macs. Today, at least as far as I'm concerned, the idea is obsolete. In my opinion, the PlayBook should be used as intended by RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 04:31 PM
    I dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu.... I also dual boot ipod video os and rockbox and it used to also have ipodlinux. For a short while I had an iphone 3g and dual booted android and ios. Multiboot is good as far as I am concerned.
    04-17-11 04:34 PM
    RIM uses a secure bootloader, if the OS isn't signed by RIM it won't boot. This is true of current BlackBerry phones too. From a hardware perspective you could run Android on a current BlackBerry, but the secure bootloader prevents it. It's theoretically possible for it to be cracked, but if no current BlackBerrys have been cracked I don't expect the PlayBook to be any different. It's an important security feature so someone can't modify an OS to, for example, expose the BES encryption key and then slip it onto someone's phone.
    stormrider_67 likes this.
    04-17-11 04:36 PM
    i agree it would be tough, but before RIM never had any hardware desirable to run another OS like android on. Now they have got some nice hardware, it would be awesome to run the 2 best OSs on the same device
    04-17-11 04:46 PM
    RIM takes pride in being secure and I highly doubt it will happen anytime soon. Security is paramount with RIM, unlike a certain other company....
    04-17-11 04:48 PM
    Eh can't say I'd be too excited to load Android on it anyway, what with the whole shininess of QNX and all. I could see the appeal of loading Windows or Linux on it but Android, what's the point?
    04-17-11 04:49 PM
    If you listen to this weeks CB podcast, Kevin pointed that he saw Playbook running complete Android OS in it to support Android Apps, in that case what's point of dual boot?
    04-17-11 05:18 PM
    The appeal of dual booting android on it is for the widgets, homescreens and the exclusive goodies. I kind of wish QNX on the playbook had a widget page or widget pages. I mean even if it was only on the lockscreen.

As for the os having to be signed.... Play Station 3 had this issue before didn't it?

Now I know RIM is smarter than Sony on security but its always a possibility. RIM never had hardware before that people REALLY wanted to hack but this hardware is as solid as it gets... The only obstacle is price. Nook Color has so many custom things because its really cheap but devs aren't usually the richest people ever.

EDIT: Also did he explicitly state that android was running on it? Or did he say android apps were running. BIG DIFFERENCE THERE. Android apps can be run on anything that the Dalvik VM can be ported to and android API calls can be emulated. Slight performance hit but nothing compared to running android in a vm.
    04-17-11 05:36 PM
    I concur with Matt here. No motivation to hack any current BB. Lots of reason with the PB
    04-17-11 05:42 PM
    It's only a matter of time...
    04-17-11 07:44 PM
    Yup just a matter of time... I am however worried that it may take a very long time if we see android. Looking at past projects the only project that has come very far of running android on non android platforms is android for x86. iDroid is still far from decent simply due to limited dev interest in completely reworking the os to work with hardware that they don't even know the detail about.

EDIT: Look at me get carried away there haha we have yet to see it exploited to make anything possible.
    04-17-11 08:14 PM
    I like RIM in the fact that is really personlizeable but putting different OS won't be around for a long time. Its not like an apple product were it was unlocked in a couple of days.

RIM is all about security, so unless the creators of the OS reverse there own OS I doubt it.
    04-17-11 08:58 PM
    I'm with you on the fact that it wont be hacked soon or easily. I have never used a blackberry but in an ideal world they would allow themes to create an entire new ui of a themers choice even if they have to write it in c. Perhaps something like launcher pro for android? I'm betting on the early software being exploited so that's the software I will be on for a little.
    04-17-11 10:32 PM
    Here's a question for those that are truly looking into hacking into the system at all.. Have you made any progress? I've got the 1.0.3 image and can get at most of the files in the boot area, and am working on the files outside that partition.

Anyone genuinely looking into this at all? If so, it would be nice to have an area to discuss this topic. Not really good to have it all out in the open and public when you're mapping things out...
    05-09-11 06:40 PM
    i agree it would be tough, but before RIM never had any hardware desirable to run another OS like android on. Now they have got some nice hardware, it would be awesome to run the 2 best OSs on the same device
    Wait, did you just say�

05-09-11 08:38 PM
    i wouldn't mind seeing ios or honeycomb as a dualboot option. would be great if it ran better than the related tablets, like macs being able to run windows 7 very well if not better then pcs.
    05-10-11 08:00 AM
    android player...

that opens the HoneyComb App.

Yes.
    05-10-11 08:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD