I'm one of those guys that buys every app recommended by the CrackBerry team and i purchased GroovyNotes a notepad/diary app i could use when not bridged with my BB phone. I can't remember how much (its $4.99 now) but i felt ripped off. Its nice and all, good arrangements with tabs like a real organizer, and it even lets you record voice notes, but I didn't think it was worth it till today.

The update lets you export notes to pdf and synchronize your notes and voice notes with dropbox, and also lets you backup and restore your data. It converts your voicenotes to mp3 and places them in your dropbox folders when you synchronize, pretty cool!
    NickA and eds817 like this.
    10-21-11 01:00 PM
    I overlooked it before, but I just bought it. The PDF and sync sold it for me. Thanks for this post.
    10-21-11 01:32 PM
    Oh damn, I just got used to Evernote, and now this app gets a solid update.

Decisions.... decisions... lol
    10-21-11 01:47 PM
    Oh damn, I just got used to Evernote, and now this app gets a solid update.

Decisions.... decisions... lol
    Evernote is still my first choice, but GroovyNotes looks like it will be a nice app for me to keep track of things that I want to discard later. I like using Evernote for things that I want to, well, keep forever.
    10-21-11 02:13 PM
    does it let you type notes in portrait mode?

thanks
    10-21-11 02:28 PM

thanks
    No. Appears to be landscape only.
    10-21-11 02:31 PM

thanks
    Landscape only for now, would be an interesting update though
    10-21-11 03:30 PM
    hmmmmm... opposite for me. Original version was lacking export features but working. I had recorded text and audio notes, played back the audio as well, all good.

(somewhere between Tuesday and Thursday eve).... There were two updates for it in a 48 hour span. I updated to the first, Groov... showed the startup screen, froze, only allowed me to swipe it up and away, so I did not use the app. Did't have time to fix or check out the problem.

Later that day when the second update came through, I updated again and it froze my PB for about a half hour. Finally had to reset. Once restarted, the PB wanted me to do the second UD again. This time it worked, and as I opened Groov... it told me my files were being updated to the new file format with a progress bar showing 50%... When this completed, I checked out the new features... export, nice. Since I had taken notes and audio at a staff meeting on Wednesday night, I decided to try and export the audio as I was hoping to send it to someone who was supposed to be taking minutes at this meeting. As soon as I pressed the play button while highlighting the note that shows an audio icon, it disappeared and the audio was gone. I read the export help, and it states that the export will place txt and pdf files in the docs directory and also store an mp3 file. The txt and pfd are there, audio is GONE. Tried a few remaining notes. All gone. Contacted Xlabs Tech... no response through their tech support...yet.

Not good as I was willing to transfer the files in real time from PB to laptop to convert to mp3 (as I had lots of audio notes from a training trade show I was at), but it appears they are gone with the file format update. Anyone else have similar problems?

Last edited by jtvoxboi; 10-21-11 at 05:14 PM.
    10-21-11 05:12 PM
    I've been waiting on my reviews before going forward and buying this app. I think the OP has just sold me on GroovyNotes. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-21-11 06:04 PM
    Very cool app. Thanks!
    10-21-11 06:17 PM
    I've been using Groovy Notes shortly after I got my PB for work and love it! I have tried others and nothing compares except I have to get Dropbox instead of using Box. Is there any difference between the two? Read the comments in the app section and add any ideas because XLabz is constantly monitoring their thread.

All I can say is keep up the good work XLabz!
    10-21-11 09:56 PM
    hmmmmm... opposite for me. Original version was lacking export features but working. I had recorded text and audio notes, played back the audio as well, all good.

(somewhere between Tuesday and Thursday eve).... There were two updates for it in a 48 hour span. I updated to the first, Groov... showed the startup screen, froze, only allowed me to swipe it up and away, so I did not use the app. Did't have time to fix or check out the problem...... Anyone else have similar problems?

Yes, I cannot get it to open since I updated it last night
    Last edited by deltadiva2; 10-24-11 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Developer responded to say it was a file permissions issue. Unfortunately I already reinstalled the app.
    10-22-11 08:05 PM
    ... now waiting 4 days for a response to my "support" email. I fully understand it can take time to troubleshoot issues, but let me know your still breathing and have some intention of support via a simple reply.
    10-25-11 07:24 AM
    ... now waiting 4 days for a response to my "support" email. I fully understand it can take time to troubleshoot issues, but let me know your still breathing and have some intention of support via a simple reply.
    Yeah, that's pretty frustrating. Keep sending e-mails. And remind them how you actually PAID for their app. Nothing I hate more then a developer that does not support his/her product. That's the difference between someone doing this for a hobby, and an actual professional developer. I'm not saying the author of GroovyNotes is a Hobbyist, but not even having an auto-responder to your support e-mail address is inexcusable.
    10-25-11 10:25 AM
    Just bought this app since they have released the backup feature. Keep up the good work.

"Prathab" from xlabz seems to be Indian so I would assume that xlabz is a company based out of India.
    Out here the largest festival has started...."Diwali" - The Festival of Lights and the Hindu New Year"
    I'd kindly request you to have a little patience as this almost a 10 day festival. I'm sure they will get back soon after the 4th.
    And yes... I agree... no autoresponder to support mailbox is very annoying.
    10-25-11 03:16 PM
    Thanks for this post. I did not know what the update was about I just update every app when it has one. I think this app is even more awesome now.
    10-25-11 03:23 PM
    Can it edit or write on top of a pdf.
    10-25-11 03:36 PM
    Interesting tip - thanks.

I had been considering this, but wouldn't evernote be a better choice because it is cross platform? ( you can access it when you don't have your playbook)?

Once you are committed to an organizing scheme you're stuck with it so I have been holding out until some apps are more fully developed.

I want something that can give me hierarchical tree like, or outline form organizing - tasks and subtasks, subtasks of subtasks similar to slicktasks (mindberry.net/slicktasks) That way you don't have to assign a "category" to everything to keep things grouped - the top heading is the category.

Also would be nice to be able to hand write notes with a stylus and have them converted to text, also to be able to embed drawings (created while taking notes) in your text. Does groovy notes do this?
    10-25-11 03:38 PM
    I just got the app yesterday and haven't gotten a chance to explore it yet.

Nice suggestions Blackjack.... there is another thread about Groovy Notes here on the forum with the Dev in attendance. I suggest you replicate your post there so that they can try to add some of your suggestions
    10-25-11 05:09 PM
    I just got the app yesterday and haven't gotten a chance to explore it yet.

Nice suggestions Blackjack.... there is another thread about Groovy Notes here on the forum with the Dev in attendance. I suggest you replicate your post there so that they can try to add some of your suggestions
    Thanks I will.
    RubberBroke likes this.
    10-25-11 06:07 PM
    Just to mention an update today, with some nifty additions like the possibility to reverse sort order…
    Herv�
    10-28-13 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD