August 15, and finally after all the wait the GRID 10 tablet is out today.
    The inter web is buzzzing with its demo.

This is clearly not JooJoo but the new tablet called "Grid 10" which boasts it is different for what is out in the market. It is different from OS in the market that is supposed to be a social operating system with sharing build in the system.

Is this the playbook killer that will turn it into the zombie? By the looks of it this seems to be a serious contender to playbook as being the device that will lose its market value fastest in the recent and short history of tablet. Maybe I am wrong but only time will tell if it can match the playbook in hype and outmatch it in promises vs reality. ( shipping start sep 15 in case you are wondering )
    08-15-11 06:27 PM
    The demo videos I have seen looks really laggy.

But it does have Email! ;-)

Its interesting...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bbaleno likes this.
    08-15-11 06:35 PM
    It's new that's for sure, a let down from there clever social media placement videos though...imho

Only consumers know if this is going to be a hit or a miss (I am leaning towards miss)
    08-15-11 06:40 PM
    Atleast they have the decency to give a FREE Grid 10 tablet who had bought the JooJoo tablet which was a dud from the same company. Hmmm I am not betting that RIM will give the people who bought the playbook 1, atleast who bought it on the first day of release a free playbook 2 when it come out, for being the early adaptor. That would be so freaking cool...
    08-15-11 06:54 PM
    It's yet another Android tablet with a Tegra 2 (non-NEON) processor.
    Nothing to see here.
    08-15-11 06:55 PM
    The demo videos I have seen looks really laggy.

But it does have Email! ;-)

Its interesting...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Remember those demos were a while back. The new vids seem to show a pretty smooth interface.

I'm definitely looking into this one.
    08-15-11 07:03 PM
    Lol.

This is today's comment on the Grid10 from Zdnet

You may find the Fusion Garage name familiar and wonder why the company kept its involvement under wraps. That’s due to the checkered past of Fusion Garage. This is the company that partnered with TechCrunch’s Mike Arrington on the CrunchPad, only to pull out at the eleventh hour and launch the oddly-named JooJoo on its own. That tablet failed miserably in the market with the company having trouble delivering units to customers who prepaid for the tablet, and reports that only a few were actually sold.

Today’s launch event by Fusion Garage CEO*Chandra Rathakrishna was bizarre, with time spent up front asking everyone to not judge the company by its past actions. This was stated more than once and given as the reason for the secret viral campaign. It doesn’t instill a lot of trust when the company admits it has to sneak back into the market given its failures in the past.
    Last edited by mandony; 08-15-11 at 09:57 PM.
    08-15-11 09:52 PM
    I caught most of the webcast announcement today. Have to say that some of what they've done looks interesting. The fact that they can effectively put 2 windows in a browser side by side (tile) is something nobody can do, but it was only shown where you opt to "buy" something from the main pane. The navigation within applications is unique, but in a lot of ways the UI is like a cross between honeycomb and metro...and not all of the good elements either- it can get very cluttered, very fast.

Noticed the lag too - GPU was working overtime and its almost like they focused on the eye candy transitions a little too much, and I can see someone getting really tired of it.

Interestingly enough, they touched on the fact that videos played on the tablet could be paused / stopped then picked up where they left off on the smartphone, but they didn't go into details- sounds like a bridge clone

Best part of all, considering their track record, after the presentation I tried to visit their site...it was down
    08-15-11 10:05 PM
    Playbook killer = RIM

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-15-11 10:12 PM
    Only a front facing camera, how inconvenient. Overall i'd pay 50$ ,max for the tablet. (Realistically maybe 150-200$)

imo i hink they need a Grid7 , something the same size as the pb to have a chance in a showdown.
    Last edited by ericlc2; 08-15-11 at 10:21 PM.
    08-15-11 10:13 PM
    hahah its like playing zelda on the nes
    08-15-11 10:37 PM
    no app world till "fall"
    08-15-11 11:24 PM
    Only 512mb ram, no rear facing camera, no onboard HDMI
    08-16-11 12:31 AM
    In a tablet world populated by 4 OSes - QNX, iOS, Android, and webOS - something that thinks like the 2nd most popular OS but looks totally new will turn heads.

And then people will realize it lacks a bunch of "standard" features, is laggy because of the reduces specs, and while its OS looks new, it isn't all that smart - although when I first saw a picture of it, I will admit it looked cool; then I watched a video of someone using it and was much less interested.

It's compatible with Android, which is its only feature that doesn't immediately resign it to its doom - if it were a new OS that would have to rely on its own App store, it would be DOA on launch, if it isn't declared so in the next few weeks.

Ironically, it makes me believe that whenever the PB actually gets its Android App Player, it'll set off a firestorm in the media world(assuming it pulls it off well) and it'll cement itself as the #2 tablet.

I mean, if the fact its compatible with Android Apps is the only thing keeping this lame attempt at a tablet from falling on its face and actually leaving it up in the air whether it fails, imagine what it'll do for a great tablet like the PB.
    08-16-11 05:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD