I am thinking of buying the playbook. I drive a lot with my business. In my truck I have a GPS, a Laptop and a blue ant speaker phone. Would like to mount this in my truck to do all? Will the Playbook do it all?
    Thanks for your input.
    06-09-11 10:35 PM
    Not at the moment - for a number of reasons.

Currently, the pb does not support BT head/speaker phone connections. Folks expect it to be added but it is not there yet.

The gps at the moment requires a wifi connection to get data so unless you have a portable wifi (is that mifi) you will be without any data to feed the gps. So either we need a maps on board or rim will have to allow more data over the bridge connection. I should clarify - the gps functions and can pinpoint your location but unless it can download mapping data or points-of-interest, you cannot do much with it out on the road. In advance where wifi exists you could plot a route and get WRITTEN directions but they will not update on the drive and there is no vocal instructions.

As for a tablet versus a laptop - you'd have to explore that.
    Last edited by F2; 06-10-11 at 12:20 AM.
    06-10-11 12:18 AM
    No, I was really hopeful for companies to make use of the built in GPS, instead of assisted GPS like google maps through your data connection.

Hopefully TomTom or Garmin come out with map packs that use the GPS, but that will likely be additional cost and no released plans at the moment.
    06-10-11 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD