Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. batboris's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default GPS slow issue

    Hi, all

    Anyone had/has issues with the GPS?

    I think mine is very slow. At least it is slower than the one on my Torch.
    For example, I was never able to use the check-in funtion of the FB app. Bing maps takes ages to find my location.

    Any ideas how I can test/benchmark the GPS in order to be sure if there is a hardware problem or not?

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
  2. blacklighter11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    503 Posts
    Global Posts
    590 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    experiencing the same thing. im thinking the gps isnt fully functional.
  3. togardergrosse's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    682 Global Posts
    PIN
    Disclosed
    #3  

    Default

    Any ideas how I can test/benchmark the GPS in order to be sure if there is a hardware problem or not?
    1. Bring your PB outside ur home/building, under a clear sky.
    2. Bridge to your BB (if any) or previously install Compass app (Free).
    3. Try to get lock position, wait for 5 minutes.
    4. If still no lock after 5 minutes, try holding the PB upside-down (BlackBerry logo is on the top instead bottom).
    5. Get WiFi (yes, outside) and try open Google Maps via browser and detect location, or use Bing.
    6. If still fail, try different location before filing an RMA
    From my experience, trying to get position inside a building is hard, since there is no Cell tower location to aid and I think PB didn't use WiFi to triangulate the position.
    And for holding it upside-down, I read in here that the GPS receiver located on bottom left/right.
    Hope it helps. It's already discussed so many times though...
    Phone history: Ericsson T20s > T28s > T29s > T39m > Sony Ericsson K508i > K640i > BlackBerry Curve 8330 > Bold 9650 > Galaxy Nexus > Bold 9900 > Nexus 5 & BlackBerry Z10
    Tablet history: Galaxy Tab P1000 16Gb, PlayBook 16Gb (Yes, still rocking this!)
    Thanked by:
    batboris (08-30-2011) 
  4. batboris's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by togardergrosse View Post
    1. Bring your PB outside ur home/building, under a clear sky.
    2. Bridge to your BB (if any) or previously install Compass app (Free).
    3. Try to get lock position, wait for 5 minutes.
    4. If still no lock after 5 minutes, try holding the PB upside-down (BlackBerry logo is on the top instead bottom).
    5. Get WiFi (yes, outside) and try open Google Maps via browser and detect location, or use Bing.
    6. If still fail, try different location before filing an RMA
    From my experience, trying to get position inside a building is hard, since there is no Cell tower location to aid and I think PB didn't use WiFi to triangulate the position.
    And for holding it upside-down, I read in here that the GPS receiver located on bottom left/right.
    Hope it helps. It's already discussed so many times though...
    Thanks for this info. I did search in the forum, but maybe not in the right way. Once again, i do apologize for creating a new thread and will try your suggestion.
  5. togardergrosse's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    682 Global Posts
    PIN
    Disclosed
    #5  

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by batboris View Post
    Thanks for this info. I did search in the forum, but maybe not in the right way. Once again, i do apologize for creating a new thread and will try your suggestion.
    Hey, no need to apologize
    Sometimes thread like this get buried since most have figured it out.
    Good luck mate!
    Phone history: Ericsson T20s > T28s > T29s > T39m > Sony Ericsson K508i > K640i > BlackBerry Curve 8330 > Bold 9650 > Galaxy Nexus > Bold 9900 > Nexus 5 & BlackBerry Z10
    Tablet history: Galaxy Tab P1000 16Gb, PlayBook 16Gb (Yes, still rocking this!)
  6. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    The GPS antenna is in the lower right corner (not the lower "left/right"), when the tablet is held in the default (landscape) orientation with the logo at the bottom.

    There's no need to rotate it to use the GPS, but you do need to be careful not to cover that corner tightly with your hand. Rotating it could help you avoid that (as would holding it in your left hand, or placing it on something like a table).
    Thanked by:
    batboris (08-30-2011) 
  7. togardergrosse's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    682 Global Posts
    PIN
    Disclosed
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    The GPS antenna is in the lower right corner (not the lower "left/right"), when the tablet is held in the default (landscape) orientation with the logo at the bottom.

    There's no need to rotate it to use the GPS, but you do need to be careful not to cover that corner tightly with your hand. Rotating it could help you avoid that (as would holding it in your left hand, or placing it on something like a table).
    Yeah, I forgot where the exact location so I put left/right (not left & right).
    Thanks for confirming this.
    Phone history: Ericsson T20s > T28s > T29s > T39m > Sony Ericsson K508i > K640i > BlackBerry Curve 8330 > Bold 9650 > Galaxy Nexus > Bold 9900 > Nexus 5 & BlackBerry Z10
    Tablet history: Galaxy Tab P1000 16Gb, PlayBook 16Gb (Yes, still rocking this!)
  8. Blacklac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,550 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,014 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Cause your 9800 is using cell triangulation before it gets a real GPS lock. Obviously the Playbook doesn't use cell towers. It locks on similar to a stand alone GPS unit. It takes a few seconds, sometimes a full minute depending on sky view.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  9. PanaSama's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    454 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    So far the Magellan app has been the most succesfull in finding my position, it usally does it very fast and even indoors, Bing is a hit and miss, it can even be very fast or painfully slow.
  10. epress man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    270 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Mine doesn't even find my location no matter how long I wait
    If I go to wifi, it gives me a location that is 50km away. Tethering doesn't work at all.
    Useless either way. At least it works good on the 9900.
    I searched and searched this site with no luck on a solution.
    RIM told me it was a software issue that would be fixed soon. I think she just said that to get me off the phone.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by epress man View Post
    Mine doesn't even find my location no matter how long I wait
    If I go to wifi, it gives me a location that is 50km away. Tethering doesn't work at all.
    Useless either way. At least it works good on the 9900.
    I searched and searched this site with no luck on a solution.
    RIM told me it was a software issue that would be fixed soon. I think she just said that to get me off the phone.
    While there may be a software component to is not working for you, since it does work in some apps and for some users, it is less likely to really be a software error.

    Have you tried the free compass app? And sat for 1/2 hour or so in a very wide open location? It really should find your location. Make sure that that rim has assigned a case to it so that you can get it replaced if it really is faulty.
  12. epress man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    270 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Thanks for the response,
    I did get a case #.
    I am too busy to be on the phone so much with them.
    It will not pick up my location, ever.
    I may need to look at a replacement
    It worked once and never again.
    My 9900 works great, but the screen is not as handy for this type of app.
  13. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    One last thing to try, though I doubt it makes the difference between getting no reading at all and getting a reading.

    Disable WiFi. Yes, this obviously means you can't be using it with many of the apps, such as Magellan Compass or Bing, but you could at least start this way, using a simple app like Compass.

    Having WiFi enabled appears to significantly increase the noisiness of the reading, at least under some conditions. Conceivably for a unit that's never got a solid "lock" yet, disabling it will help you get that first reading, after which it may work for you even with WiFi on and with the other apps.
  14. 0100010's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    239 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Thanks for posting this thread. When I got my PB, I remembered to test the screen using the free DisplayTest app; now because of you're thread I have tested the GPS.

    MapApp and Compass pick up my position w/o issue, but Bing is not.
    Insert signature here.
  15. epress man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    270 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I use poynt and Bing for now.
    Wifi is always disabled when I travel to save battery.
  16. passonat's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Can I use the external GPS ( via bluetooth) with the playbook?
  17. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    The BlackBerry PlayBook's built-in GPS has never exhibited stellar performance to the point of being useless 99% of the time. Even bridged to a BlackBerry smartphone the tablet's GPS is likely to send you over a mountain cliff instead of around the bend ahead in the roadway. Meanwhile, my BlackBerry smartphone can pin-point my location 99% of the time. See the difference?
  18. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,513 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by passonat View Post
    Can I use the external GPS ( via bluetooth) with the playbook?
    No you can't.
  19. Chaddface's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,513 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    The BlackBerry PlayBook's built-in GPS has never exhibited stellar performance to the point of being useless 99% of the time. Even bridged to a BlackBerry smartphone the tablet's GPS is likely to send you over a mountain cliff instead of around the bend ahead in the roadway. Meanwhile, my BlackBerry smartphone can pin-point my location 99% of the time. See the difference?
    I use the PB with the Magellan app more then I use the factory nav in my car. Haven't driven off a cliff yet.
    It take 20-30 seconds to find me after I start the app and it is just as accurate as any other GPS tool I have used.

Posting Permissions