I live in Saudi Arabia and when i use GPS it does not work. Is it because of the region or is my GPS damaged and does not work.
    05-12-12 11:43 AM
    If you perform a search you will see many tips concerning GPS.

Here is something from the tips and tricks up top.
    Originally Posted by F2

Maybe a gps tip. It generally will not work indoors. As a first test, download the FREE Compass app. Go to an open area without buildings, if possible, give it a good 15-20 minutes. Move it away from your body a bit. (The compass app does not provide much in utility but is a good app to test the gps).

More specifics: gps' need a good view of the sky. A gps which has been off for a while (days or week or more) or moved a longer distance will take a longer time to get a satellite lock. Once it gets a lock, it can hold it inside of a moving car. I can get a lock in the upstairs of my wood-framed, shingle-roofed home. I cannot get one downstairs.

Download the free app, restart the PB, go outside and start the app. Set the PB down or hold it upside down to provide the best signal.
    05-12-12 11:52 AM
    Doesn't it need internet i know i am stupid
    05-12-12 11:58 AM
    Plus can i go to the top of my building?
    05-12-12 11:59 AM
    Plus can i go to the top of my building?
    It doesn't need wifi. If your not under a roof then the top of your building would be a good place.
    05-12-12 12:18 PM
    The first time you use it, it will not have "almanac" or "ephemeris" data for the satellites. Same thing if you haven't used it recently. Downloading that info from the satellites can take many minutes, even over an hour in some cases.

Almost anything can obstruct the satellite signals too, so be outside, clear view of as much of the sky as you can find, and don't cover the antenna with your hand (lower right corner when held in default landscape mode).

Use an app which will not time out quickly when it can't get a reading. The free Compass app works for that, as do Magellan Compass, What's Up, and some others, but not Bing or (I believe) Poynt.

WiFi does NOT get used, and you may actually improve your chances of this working by disabling WiFi and maybe Bluetooth. (on some units wifi will add noise to the GPS signals and give worse readings).

You may also want to reboot immediately before trying this, and don't run any other apps before or during this.

Once you get some readings, there will still be other satellites which haven't been "seen" so you may need to do this over the course of several days, before you'll start to consider it reliable. After that, you'll probably consider it pretty good results...
    Kinger23 likes this.
    05-12-12 12:26 PM
    As i went to the roof and i opened a gps app after some time it showed there is gps. When i closed then opened the same app it took time to find gps. I was still on roof. As i went back down it no longer works. Plus as i try to run and see if it finds my speed it didn't. Plus like can you please tell me the exact steps or can you post a video here?
    05-12-12 12:34 PM
    Which GPS app were you using? (Please provide the exact name, or a link to it in App World, in case there are several similar ones...)
    05-12-12 01:12 PM
    The free compass the only free one there
    05-12-12 01:50 PM
    I really only have used the free Compass app to test the gps and sometimes get a quicker lock. It really does not do much else. If you go "down" and that is inside a building, the gps will NOT work. It needs to "see" the satellites to get their VERY WEAK radio waves.

Unlike a modern phone gps which also gets assistance from nearby cell towers and can work indoors, the pb does not use any cell towers or phone signals for gps. So it really does need to see/receive those radio waves. It can work in a car once it has found them (if the car does not have a metallic sunshield built into the windows.
    05-12-12 02:10 PM
    To be clear, the PlayBook's GPS receiver / antenna is not very sensitive.

GPS receivers come in a range of RF sensitivities, from poor to amazing. The PB is towards the poor end of the range.

This RF sensitivity is a distinct issue from Assisted GPS. Portable GPS for automobile (Garmin, TomTom, Magellen) are non-assisted (pure GPS). If you own a good one of those (e.g. one with a SiRF StarFire or equivalent chipset), then the difference is probably obvious. I've never had to take my Garmin up to the roof and hold it above my head for twenty minutes to make it work.

Any PlayBook GPS thread that doesn't include a simple admission that the PB GPS is not very sensitive does the OP a disservice.
    05-15-12 08:19 PM
    I have had mine just stop working.
    I had to restart the Playbook to get it going again.
    05-16-12 05:17 AM
    I disagree with Jeffrey Pooh. Although I can't speak to the technical specs of the PB's GPS radio antenna, I can say that it works fine for me.

The best app to test your PB GPS is "What's Up". Download it in AppWorld for 99 cents. It is an astronomy app but the sweet part is that it is the best piece of GPS software currently on the PB. I just tried it here and it took less than 2 minutes to find my location with an accuracy of 2 meters.

Once you have installed the app, start it. It takes about 30 seconds to get past the splash screen. Then, tap in the upper left corner of the What's Up screen. That brings up your location controls. Tap on "GPS" and wait. It should work if you have a clear view of the sky, even if it is through a large window.

We're still waiting for some really good apps for the PB to use its GPS but for me the Bing Maps works just fine. I don't find the delay of a few seconds in finding my location to be at all excessive.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 05-16-12 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Delete incorrect information about the "What's Up" app
    05-16-12 09:58 AM
    I disagree with Jeffrey Pooh. Although I can't speak to the technical specs of the PB's GPS radio antenna, I can say that it works fine for me.

The best free app to test your PB GPS is the "What's Up demo". Download it in AppWorld. It is an astronomy app but the sweet part is that it is the best piece of GPS software currently on the PB. I just tried it here and it took less than 2 minutes to find my location with an accuracy of 2 meters.

Once you have installed the app, start it. It takes about 30 seconds to get past the splash screen. Then, tap in the upper left corner of the What's Up screen. That brings up your location controls. Tap on "GPS" and wait. It should work if you have a clear view of the sky, even if it is through a large window.

We're still waiting for some really good apps for the PB to use its GPS but for me the Bing Maps works just fine. I don't find the delay of a few seconds in finding my location to be at all excessive.
    What you say is true and I thank you for your comment but for various reasons, the free demo is not currently available in app world.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 05-16-12 at 04:55 PM.
    05-16-12 12:04 PM
    What you say is true and I thank you for your comment for various reasons, the free demo is not currently available in app world.
    OK my bad. The free version was there... but after trying it, I liked it so much I decided to buy the paid version. Was a good intro to a great app. Are you planning to put it back on AppWorld?
    RBergmann1 likes this.
    05-16-12 12:12 PM
    OK my bad. The free version was there... but after trying it, I liked it so much I decided to buy the paid version. Was a good intro to a great app. Are you planning to put it back on AppWorld?
    This is off-topic so for those interested in downloading a pretty good astronomy app that also is an effective way to kick-start the GPS, What's up is available in App World for only a buck. Read on if you are interested in knowing what happened to the demo.

I am considering my options for reviving the free version. The demo used the so-called cripple-ware model with full features for 5 days and then continued as a limited-feature app thereafter.

Those who opted for the paid version were not leaving good reviews for the demo before they switched. At the time that I dropped the demo, it had 36 reviews and a 3-star rating. The paid version had almost 100 reviews and a 5-star rating. It was essentially the same app so it's hard to figure why the ratings were radically different.

In addition, the number of demos downloaded remained fairly high but because too many people were satisfied with the crippled version, the demo was competing with the paid one. Sales of the paid version actually increased after I dropped the demo so it was not helping my marketing efforts at all. The paid app is currently selling quite well, has over 200 reviews and still has a five-star rating.

I have not decided if is worthwhile to revive the demo - this might make sense if I increased the price of the app (which is not likely for a while). If I do revive the demo, I would opt for the try & buy model rather than two separate apps competing with each other for downloads
    05-16-12 05:37 PM
    Buzz,

After reading your tale of the free app and the paid app, I think your strategy of selling it for 99 cents is a good one. It is "almost free" as the beach vendors say. If the demos were eating your sales, I would just stay with your current approach of the single version at a low price. Anyone who is serious about wanting it will not be deterred by the price. Anyone who can't part with 99 cents is probably not in the market for paid apps. Anyone who isn't able to pay for an app cuz they don't have a credit card is only going to download the free version and never pay... sooo... you're not really missing out on any sales.
    05-16-12 08:09 PM
    ...it works fine for me.
    That's nice. But for those seeking an explanation for the problems they're actually having getting the PlayBook's GPS to work, such reassurances are not only non-value-added, they can be highly counter-productive.

Here's why: Such responses may lead others to believe that their particular PlayBook is somehow defective, since their's is obviously not working to their expectation, meanwhile your particular PlayBook is "working fine". So they go off and waste many hours resetting, rebooting, buying apps (nothing to do with it), standing outside for XX minutes, perhaps even sending it for repair, etc. All to no avail.

Huge waste of time, multiplied by however many thousands of lurkers read the same thread.

The reality is that there are many dozens of PlayBook GPS threads *because* its RF sensitivity *is* poor. The advice to go stand outside, holding it carefully, waiting 12 to 20 minutes is more evidence of same.

The fact that many people don't have a problem with the sensitivity is almost certainly related to the reduced attenuation of their home's roofing material at L-band - not exactly useful info for the OP.

Key facts:
    1. Some GPS receivers are very sensitive (SiRF Starfire or similar)
    2. Some GPS receivers have poor sensitivity (PlayBook)
    3. Lack of A-GPS doesn't help (side issue)
    4. Certain apps sneak in location info via Wifi or Bridge (adds confusion)

For those PlayBook users experiencing usability problems due to lack of GPS sensitivity, certainly go outside, set it down and let it lock in. Just to prove it actually works.

Beyond that, it is what it is.
    05-16-12 09:27 PM
    @JeffyPooh

This topic has been discussed in dozens of threads and it always boils down to a few things:
    1. PlayBook takes a long time to get an initial fix. You must be patient and you must be outside in an open space.
    2. Some popular apps give up too easily and report failure long before they get that critical initial fix
    3. Some other apps are more persistent and get results. After thousands of downloads, I have received very few complaints that the GPS implementation in What's up failed to get a fix in a "reasonable" time. Other CB users have reported that the free Compass app uses GPS and also gets good results. I have not personally used this app so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.
    4. After obtaining the initial fix and provided that you use the GPS often enough, subsequent fixes are quite quick (although as you rightly point out, GPS is not going to perform like a standalone dedicated GPS device or a smartphone with A-GPS)
    5. For balky app like Bing, it sometimes helps to "kick-start" the GPS sensor by running an app that has a better (i.e. more persistent) implementation.

In addition, I am not aware of any apps that "sneak in location info via Wifi or Bridge". Please provide the names of these apps so that I can investigate.
    Chaddface likes this.
    05-16-12 10:28 PM
    Buzz,

After reading your tale of the free app and the paid app, I think your strategy of selling it for 99 cents is a good one. It is "almost free" as the beach vendors say. If the demos were eating your sales, I would just stay with your current approach of the single version at a low price. Anyone who is serious about wanting it will not be deterred by the price. Anyone who can't part with 99 cents is probably not in the market for paid apps. Anyone who isn't able to pay for an app cuz they don't have a credit card is only going to download the free version and never pay... sooo... you're not really missing out on any sales.
    Now I'm going to take this off topic. I wish that RIM would offer gift cards for App World. With iTunes, I give iTunes gift cards for Christmas. I would more likely buy more apps with gift cards. Just easier.

Oh, never got my gps to work yet.
    05-16-12 11:45 PM
    ...as you rightly point out, GPS is not going to perform like a standalone dedicated GPS device or a smartphone with A-GPS)...
    I can turn off all data (3G, Cellular data, wifi - all off) on my iPhone 4S and its GPS can get an exact GPS inside my house in about 30 seconds. It seems to be pure GPS results, but I'm not positive... PlayBook can't touch it.

I already mentioned Garmin Starfire.

I think we agree the PlayBook GPS is not as good as most other devices. Any residual discussion is just semantics on the meaning of the word "poor".

In addition, I am not aware of any apps that "sneak in location info via Wifi or Bridge". Please provide the names of these apps so that I can investigate.
    This was discussed in previous threads where others reported getting approximate location results of their local cell tower or their ISP. The details supported my conclusion that they weren't providing PlayBook GPS-sourced results. It caused some confusion as they tangled up the GPS discussion with non-GPS based location services.
    05-17-12 04:06 PM
    I can turn off all data (3G, Cellular data, wifi - all off) on my iPhone 4S and its GPS can get an exact GPS inside my house in about 30 seconds. It seems to be pure GPS results, but I'm not positive... PlayBook can't touch it.

I think we agree the PlayBook GPS is not as good as most other devices. Any residual discussion is just semantics on the meaning of the word "poor".

This was discussed in previous threads where others reported getting approximate location results of their local cell tower or their ISP. The details supported my conclusion that they weren't providing PlayBook GPS-sourced results. It caused some confusion as they tangled up the GPS discussion with non-GPS based location services.
    Well, there you go. GPS on PlayBook is junk. For a person who seems to be so concerned about helping the OP understand how to get the most out of PlayBook's GPS, you sure can be persistently negative. Please stop "helping". Thanks

PS: If FUD is not your goal then I humbly apologize for my outburst. But I still maintain that there are better ways to help people experiencing problems using their device.
    peter9477, jafobabe and PatrickMJS like this.
    05-17-12 04:27 PM
    The attached file is a nice little GPS app it shows how many satellites your connected to,
    signal strength, accuracy and so on, its a nice companion program to use with
    Magellan, Mapdroyd or anything that uses GPS and takes a long time to connect.
    I've been using Mapdroyd allot and if you go any appreciable distance since the last time
    you've connected to GPS it can be brutally slow, but if you run GPS Test first it connects
    much faster and seem to have more authority over the GPS in terms of keeping it
    conected.
    I've signed and tested the app.
    Last edited by Mr_Bunny; 06-04-12 at 01:03 PM.
    05-17-12 04:41 PM
    Mapdroyd 1.1.5

This is very nice app, it works flawlessly for me, it's not a turn by turn GPS but if you
    want to know where you are in relationship to streets around you it's great I use it daily,
    The maps are free and once downloaded it's all off line, make a wrong turn no problem
    just pull over and have a quick look at the map.
    I run GPS Test first and when the GPG connects I run Mapdroyd this is necessarily essential
    but I find GPS Test connects much faster than Mapdroyd.

I downloaded it from RDilux Sideload App Collection tread.
    Last edited by Mr_Bunny; 06-04-12 at 01:03 PM.
    05-17-12 05:20 PM

MY playbook shows my position on the first floor of a stone and stucco house. Maybe its the large windows that allow this but I wouldn't call that poor.

This advice given in this thread and others just creates the best possible scenario to get an fix the first time.

Like other posters I was frustrated when I first used the GPS. After getting that first fix it has gotten better everytime I use it. I use the GPS often and it finds me in 10-20 seconds and works wherever I go.

That's MY experience.
    BuzzStarField and PatrickMJS like this.
    05-17-12 07:00 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD