I heard on the forums that the PB has GPS on it, but I dont know where. Is it the Bing Map?
    05-07-11 10:42 AM
    the GPS is an actual chip in the playbook... Bing, Poynt and so on use that chip to actually gather your location
    IvanAMANation likes this.
    05-07-11 10:52 AM
    Really??? Just open Bing and click on the blue circle at the right hand corner at the top, and you will be able to see your location assuming it works. That is as high-tech as the PB GPS gets, well for now.
    IvanAMANation likes this.
    05-07-11 10:52 AM
    sweet, thanks fellas
    05-07-11 10:56 AM
    IF...and it's a big IF...you can get yours to work.
    05-07-11 11:02 AM
    Has anyone been able to figure out why some peoples GPS works and other peoples doesn't?

Or indeed why on the same device it will work sometimes, and at other times it will not?

Very interesting situation that I could never figure out.

Cheers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-11 11:07 AM
    05-07-11 11:50 AM
    StubbornSwiss:

I think your post will get me to post a new thread on the gps.

The gps in the PB is more akin to the ones in standalone gps units that one uses for hiking or biking or most car units. It needs a reasonable view of the "sky" so it can see satellites. It may or may not work inside of any building depending on where and what kind of walls, roofs or windows are surrounding the space the pb is located in. It may not work in some cars or trains depending on what kind of window glass (heat shielding in some is an "invisible" metal mesh). It may not work in cities with very tall buildings.

Then, again, who knows, maybe the gps in the pb is somewhat faulty. Being a new device this is quite possible.
    05-07-11 11:57 AM
    Launching the free compass app allows Bing and Poynt to work..My PB works most of the time this way and other times on it's own. Definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.
    05-07-11 12:10 PM
    kevin said its "faulty" but there will be software fixes. who really knows though
    05-07-11 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD