Howdy,

I am thinking of trying out GotoMyPC until the VNC programs come out.
    They have a 30 day free trial.

I will install it on a Windows machine (host) and wish to access it via the
    PlayBooks regular web browser (not the bridge one)

Will this work with the PlayBook?

Anyone using it?

Thanks,

Tim
    04-29-11 11:51 AM
    Looks like it won't as I dont think the PB browser does JavaScript.

Internet Explorer� 7.0 or newer, Mozilla� Firefox� 3.0 or newer or Google™ Chrome™ 5.0 or newer (JavaScript™ and Java™ enabled)

Tim
    04-29-11 12:08 PM
    Teamviewer works fine and is free for noncommercial use.
    04-29-11 12:15 PM
    logmein.com works and it is free.
    04-29-11 12:17 PM
    Well you might want to give it a try, anyway. The Playbook does do Java, but its implementation, may not be full blown Java. I gave RDMPlus a try, but it was slow with the web application. It also puts another server between your client, the PB, and your desktop.

I actually found that the display was better if i used their iPhone web gateway rather than the normal web browser one. The problem with that was the controls/keyboard. Couldn't seem to get them to work very well, an issue of positioning and trying to figure out how they worked. Also given only 3 minutes per session in trial mode. I got pretty frustrated and gave up. I had also considered giving GoToMyPc a try, but seeing as I couldn't get GoToMeeting to work, which is by the same vendor, I doubted that I could. But I may still give it a try anyway. I will probably have to wait until aVNC becomes available.
    04-29-11 12:24 PM
    Teamviewer works fine and is free for noncommercial use.
    I installed it but see no way of logging in via the web to see the machine I installed it on..

Tim
    04-29-11 12:35 PM
    I just tried GoToMyPc and when I tried to login from my PB I recieved a message telling me that I need a Java-enabled browser.

Java script is turned on so I'm not sure what if everything can be done for it to work.
    04-29-11 12:39 PM
    Ok thats the same issue I experienced with GoToMeeting. I guess there is Java, and then there is Java! I suspect, there are a lot of web servers, that don't know what the browser in the PB is capable of. The Browsecap file may be very out of date.
    04-29-11 12:47 PM
    Tried all of them,,they work but remote clicking/program start and such
    along with having to disable some of my password protection to get them
    to work is not something I am willing to do.

I shall wait until BB PB App world approves some good apps like AiFlex VNC..

Tim

Ps. thanks for the ideas though!
    04-29-11 01:06 PM
    Another vote for Logmein. It works perfectly fine for me, but I'll have to connect to a bluetooth mouse or invest in a stylus if i plan to use that feature often.
    04-29-11 01:13 PM
    How do you get teamviewer to work? it asks me to download it, i click save then nothing. How do i get it to run? There have been a few programs i've tried to download but i don't know where to launch them from. Thanks for any help.
    04-29-11 01:50 PM
    Ya - i was confused by this, but that is the app to run on your desktop or laptop computer to connect to. You then sign up for an account with teamviewer and you can use a browser to connect to the system running the teamviewer software. Seemed to draw the screen faster than RDMPlus, and the mouse followed my finger around pretty well, though a little sluggish. Reducing the remote systems screen res and colors might help. My biggest issue was how to do keyboard actions on the remote system. The Windows Server 2003 i was testing this on didn't have a means of doing remote keyboard entry. Any suggestions for an on screen keyboard that might work?
    04-29-11 02:37 PM
    Another vote for Logmein. It works perfectly fine for me, but I'll have to connect to a bluetooth mouse or invest in a stylus if i plan to use that feature often.
    How do you get the keyboard to work? I'm logged onto my PC at home just fine, but there's no way to log on because the onscreen keyboard won't pop up
    04-29-11 02:47 PM
    I have been using gotomypc on my notebook for a couple of years and find it very useful. I've noticed on the gotomypc website that they now have a gotomypc app for the iPad. I'm hoping they will come out with one for PB in the near future...
    04-29-11 02:55 PM
    How do you get the keyboard to work? I'm logged onto my PC at home just fine, but there's no way to log on because the onscreen keyboard won't pop up
    There is a gesture for the PB that makes the keyboard pop up. Swipe up diagonally from the bottom left corner.
    04-29-11 03:06 PM
    Well, LogMeIn works, but is barely usable. There's no way to bring up keyboard, you can barely scroll around things, and if you have a decent screen res on your PC its all choppy and too small. Zooming doesn't make it much better. Impressed to see I could even connect though, as nothing else has worked.

I too am waiting for aVNC and/or a good RDP client to come available.
    04-29-11 03:08 PM
    Thanks - I should have known better - I really DID read the manual
    04-29-11 03:33 PM
    I'm thinking that maybe I should have waited for the Cisco Cius - I can't see that being released without a VPN client and sort of remote desktop
    04-29-11 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD