i got it from staples in the clearance section for $13 and it was sealed. i never really calculated how long it takes the normal charger to charge the playbook, but the rapid charger took 3.5 hours to get from 5% to 100%. is that slow?
    12-28-11 08:28 PM
    Like you, I've never used the std. Charger. I'm guessing my charge time on the rapid charger is similar to yours if not a little longer.
    12-28-11 08:55 PM
    ok. question,
    where is everyone getting these deals from staples? i am in ontario and have been in 5 stores from st.catherines to toronto in the last 3 days and have not seen a single thing on sale. and there supply has been minimal in all of them. really just asking.
    keith.
    12-28-11 09:01 PM
    Sorry, I never let my Playbook get that low on a charge. My rapid charger is about twice as fast as the charger that came with the Playbook.
    12-28-11 09:14 PM
    ok. question,
    where is everyone getting these deals from staples? i am in ontario and have been in 5 stores from st.catherines to toronto in the last 3 days and have not seen a single thing on sale. and there supply has been minimal in all of them. really just asking.
    keith.
    i live in Connecticut, US. there was just a section of reduced playbook items. all 50-70% the cases, chargers and docks
    12-28-11 09:22 PM
    The rapid chargers are only quicker than the regular charge when the Playbook is in standby or off. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it might have been 9w versus 7w, while not in standby it might have been 5w versus 6w.

BatteryGuru is the app to get and it will show you the rate the PlayBook is charging or discharging.
    12-28-11 09:23 PM
    ok. question,
    keith.
    Hi Keith,

Nice to see a fellow Ontarian here. As usual the Staples salesbare only in the good old USA. Lord knows Staples in Canada don't do much in the way of "sales".

OP - you are brave! I have an unreasonable fear of allowing any of my digital stuff getting lower than 25% and generally begin recharging at 50%! LOL

I have the rapid charger (not purchased on sale - Hubby paid the full $79!) and it seems to top up the charge in about half the time of the included charger. I just pop my PB into the rapid charger with the Antair clock visible whenever I'm not using it.
    12-28-11 10:04 PM
    My experience has been close to half the time with the rapid charger over the oem standard charger.
    12-28-11 10:19 PM
    Hi Keith,

Nice to see a fellow Ontarian here. As usual the Staples salesbare only in the good old USA. Lord knows Staples in Canada don't do much in the way of "sales".

OP - you are brave! I have an unreasonable fear of allowing any of my digital stuff getting lower than 25% and generally begin recharging at 50%! LOL

I have the rapid charger (not purchased on sale - Hubby paid the full $79!) and it seems to top up the charge in about half the time of the included charger. I just pop my PB into the rapid charger with the Antair clock visible whenever I'm not using it.
    I let my playbook drop to 5% because of the battery cycling. i've only charged in 3 times in the past 3 weeks ive had it.
    12-29-11 03:56 PM
    Mine charged from about 2% to 100% in about an hour and a half this morning in standby mode.
    12-29-11 04:20 PM
    The rapid chargers are only quicker than the regular charge when the Playbook is in standby or off. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it might have been 9w versus 7w, while not in standby it might have been 5w versus 6w.

BatteryGuru is the app to get and it will show you the rate the PlayBook is charging or discharging.
    Thanks for the nod, robsteve. You got it backwards though: rapid charger is almost indistinguishable from the regular charger when the PlayBook's in standby. Below 60-70%, it goes about 25% faster (your 7W/9W isn't far off but I forget the exact value too).

When the PlayBook is on, the regular charger can't keep up with the load and will be unable to charge the battery at its regular full rate. That's when the rapid charger comes close to double-speed, because it can charge at full speed and supply all the power the PlayBook needs.

i got it from staples in the clearance section for $13 and it was sealed. i never really calculated how long it takes the normal charger to charge the playbook, but the rapid charger took 3.5 hours to get from 5% to 100%. is that slow?
    My measurements have always shown about 3.2h for 0% to 100% with the rapid charger, and maybe just over 3.5h for the same with the regular charger. This applies if you have the PlayBook in standby. See note above: if using the PlayBook, it will take longer than 3.5h with the regular charger, while the rapid charger will not take any longer.
    12-29-11 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD