Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dave_h_946
  • 1 Post By philchang
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Google vs. Bing on PlayBook

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience as this might be pretty unique or site specific

When I am on the PlayBook on the WiFi at work, whenever I perform a Google search, irregardless of the search topic, a black screen returns
    to me with the message:

"Unknown network error. Failure when receiving data from peer. Try Again" If I try again and again, same result.
    If I switch to Bing, I get results without any issues.

When I am at home on WiFi, I can use Google without any issues. I haven't really tried this on other WiFi at restaurants, coffee shops etc.

Does anyone have a possible explanation? I asked the company I.T. department and they didn't have any answers.

Thanks!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

guessing wifi at work isn't compatible.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Make sure you clear cach, history, cookies, e.t.c.. Also while at work, delete the connection, and set it up again from scratch.
    rexrim likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I've had that error and others that are similar. I would say that they are caused by a few things:

1. Incompatible WIFI. Depending on the network I'm on, I can get funky connection issues. If I can even connect at all. There's really no helping it. Some WIFI networks works with some devices, some don't. It's trial and error finding what you can connect to and it's dependant on the AP hardware.

2. WIFI N. I've heard some people have great success with N networks, while others haven't. I've only used my N network at home and I've had both great success and huge failure using the same network! My failures include not being able to connect to extremely high lag to connection timeouts. It's best just to use G networks IMO. I've had very few connection issues using G beyond setting the channel wrong.

3. Congestion. Depending on where you are, congestion might be an issue. With lots of devices using the same network, connection issues are bound to arise. At home, I've noticed that having less devices connected at the same time gives me a better connection for the ones I have connected. Obviously, that's something you can easily control at home. Good luck with that at your work. :P

Beyond what I just mentioned, I don't know what other issue you might have. I don't see the problem as being Google. Some sites can be spotty, but I've only experienced that on less well known sites. Hope this helps! Good luck!
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    279a8c1f

Well, I'm not about loading now but about search results. I'm studying Leadership&Management, so I often need to find some information on the Internet and Google gives me much more useful ones than Bing, but I like Bing title page much more google
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,441 Global Posts

Default Google vs. Bing on PlayBook

Google is way better than bing. i love bing front page. google looks old fashion but google search is just perfect. i never have issues with google. regardless how playbook is connected wifi or tethering through bluetooth or mobile hot spot

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    MyHomeSpace.ca and MyCondoSpace.ca
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,591 Global Posts

Maybe it's just mine but sometimes bing will not load on my home wifi it will load so far and stop, I usually then go to Google before I get an error message and sometimes I think more so on bridge, when typing in Google it will jump up show a few suggestions and then just go to an error page.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mine does that with Google. Before I can even finish entering my search criteria it reloads the page with the error notice. I switched to Bing. Works great.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

I am thinking it is incompatible Wifi as well. Both Bing and Google work just fine for me. Never had a problem.
    Lovin' the Playbook and hatin' the cynics!
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,591 Global Posts

Whatever it is RIM needs to fix it esp when no other device displays the same behavior.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    CrackBerry User

....or for an alternative, try: https://duckduckgo.com/
    PlayBook 64 + Ubuntu 12.04
    CrackBerry User

Google's predictive search doesn't seem to work when I'm tethered. Works fine when I'm on my home WiFi. I believe it would be okay if I could turn off the predictive search and be allowed to complete the typing before Google goes off and does it's thing. Anyone know if this is possible as I've not found an ability to turn this off.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,591 Global Posts

You mean predictive search on Google and not the predictive text on pb?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by bbobruns View Post
    I believe it would be okay if I could turn off the predictive search and be allowed to complete the typing before Google goes off and does it's thing. Anyone know if this is possible as I've not found an ability to turn this off.
    You can turn off predictive search in the browser by turning off Java in settings.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks pacoman03. Worked perfectly.