Was wondering if anyone has tried Google hangouts?? Was told about this by a friend who uses an iPhone 4S and his GF uses Samsung S2. Saw them chat with it, and I thought it was a neat thing. Basically it is Google's version of Skype, just integrated with the Google "world". Now my question is, does anyone know or have tried porting a Google+ app to the playbook and got Google Hangouts to work?? I tried loading it through the browser the normal way, but it always loads Google in mobile mode. Even if I tell the browser to load in normal mode, it won't load up a new window for chatting/video chatting purposes.

Any thoughts or ideas??

PS: I know the Playbook has it's own version called video chat, but useless to me as my GF has the Galaxy Nexus and she will be going to Europe next month for a couple of months. AND YES, I have already tried to convince her to switch to BB, but she is TOO deep into Android now.... **sigh**
    08-17-12 08:03 PM
    By most accounts, it won't work on the PB. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong. Can she get Reelportal on her S2?
    08-17-12 08:16 PM
    Can she get Reelportal on her S2?
    What is Reelportal?? I have never heard.
    08-17-12 08:18 PM
    What is Reelportal?? I have never heard.
    ReelPortal Video Chat - Home
    08-17-12 08:19 PM
    There seems to be an Android app, but could not find any feedback on it. That is usually a no-no for me, but in all fairness the app is not free and there are more widely used free alternatives for Android users.

It seems it is a true port from the developer of Reelportal himself. Not sure though...

If you feel comfortable, it could be an option for her.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.family&hl=en
    08-17-12 08:51 PM
    Wasn't reelportal free?
    08-17-12 09:04 PM
    Wasn't reelportal free?
    $2.99 for the Playbook
    08-17-12 09:09 PM
    $2.99 for the Playbook
    Yes, I could see that. Question was in the past. So, wasn't it free? I remember considering downloading it as an alternative to Video Chat and Skype...
    08-17-12 09:36 PM
    Yes, I could see that. Question was in the past. So, wasn't it free? I remember considering downloading it as an alternative to Video Chat and Skype...
    Seeing it in my uninstalled list and I never paid for it means that at one time it was free.
    You got your answer.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-17-12 10:59 PM
    If you port a android Google +app it just might work now that android apps have access to the camera, providing you are on 2.1.
    08-18-12 07:50 AM
    Whenever I'm on my PlayBook, I really miss the G+ interface. The browser renders the mobile version fine, but it is limited in its options. I can get the Web version to load but it is painfully slow.

I don't think we would get the same quality or standard of the G+ hangout from any other app. Hope PB gets some love from Google after BB10. I've already got my solution, a secondary Android.
    08-19-12 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD