I sideloaded version 6.12.0 a while ago. It worked fine as long as I didn't try to go into option. But all of a sudden I have been getting "data connection unavailable" when I start Maps and I can't save any maps for offline viewing, although I can view the maps, in all detail, so I am online and some data is getting through. I tried uninstalling, rebooted and installing 6.14.31. Same problem. Am I missing a setting and has anyone entered the options menu without the app crashing? I have the 32 version, only half full.
    thx
    03-11-13 04:00 PM
    I just tried another map app and the same happened (nogago) and much the same - I could register, go to their website, but when I tried to download their maps, it said there was no internet, even when I was right in front of the router. Is there a separate place to set permissions for android apps. These aren't to be found in the regular pb place.
    thx
    03-12-13 04:36 AM
    Have you tried

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    03-12-13 09:11 AM
    I just tried on my PlayBook and it found my location within 100meters, found an address I looked up within seconds and even planned a route from my location. I believe I am running version 6.2.0 that I got from either goodereader.com or somewhere in these forums. Are you using WiFi or bridged?
    03-12-13 09:24 AM
    Thanks, that was next on my list. Funny thing was that I could access the maps, find locations, (Wifi, not bridged) etc., but could not download maps for offline use. But it is working again. And the only thing I did, so I assume this may have something to do with it, was use Playbook App Manager to remove two items that we installed twice (but didn't show up as such in my playbook.) Looks like they didn't uninstall correctly during an update.
    Does anyone know of a workaround for the options button on Google maps crashing the app (short of not using it...)
    Thanks again.
    03-12-13 09:39 AM
    Does anyone know of a workaround for the options button on Google maps crashing the app (short of not using it...)
    Thanks again.
    Install version 6.2 or earlier (maybe 6.3). You can get into settings with these versions.
    03-12-13 07:07 PM
    Install version 6.2 or earlier (maybe 6.3). You can get into settings with these versions.
    This is the best solution for the time being. I believe 6.2 was the last fully working version of Google Maps. Anything newer crashes when you try to sign in.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 12:13 AM
    Spoke too soon. Problem has returned. I have internet access for my browser and e-mail. I can view maps and pull up all details (except layers), but as soon as I try to download maps, it tells me I have no internet connection. SAme is true with Nogano maps. I will try some of the reboot suggestions. Are there different ways for the apps to access the internet?
    I'll try one of the earlier google maps versions.
    Thx
    03-21-13 05:57 AM
    6.2 doesn't let you download maps for offline viewing, does it?
    03-21-13 06:37 AM
    Have you tried

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    Tried these. No luck. I use Groovy Notes which backs up with Dropbox and that works...
    03-21-13 07:06 AM
    6.2 doesn't let you download maps for offline viewing, does it?
    6..2 lets you download 10 x10 mile square maps (of up to 10 or 12 maps). To do so, you need to enter settings, then Labs, then turn on offline map caching. Then to download a map, go back to the map, tap and hold on a spot on the map, then tap on the bubble that pops up, and then choose pre cache map area.
    03-21-13 11:03 AM
    Thanks for he tip on 6.2. I uninstalled google maps, deleted the map caches and folders, reinstalled and it works, at least for now. Funny thing is it doesn't ask any permissions when I reinstall and run it. Is that normal?
    Thx.
    03-21-13 11:49 AM
    Thanks for he tip on 6.2. I uninstalled google maps, deleted the map caches and folders, reinstalled and it works, at least for now. Funny thing is it doesn't ask any permissions when I reinstall and run it. Is that normal?
    Thx.
    I find Permission aspects of Android apps inconsistent. And most don't show up in the List under Security.
    03-21-13 03:06 PM
    Came back to my playbook this morning and the problem is back. Did the same uninstall and reinstall of maps, but didn't do any good this time. Considering a full back-up and factory reset. Any other suggestions? It seems just android, but not only the sideloaded ones, are affected.
    Thx
    Last edited by BCRandCo; 03-22-13 at 05:25 AM.
    03-22-13 04:48 AM
    full backup and factory reset - didn't add any sideloaded apps -worked at first but not this morning. If I only knew of an easy way to get it to work, even intermittently, just never quite sure what gets it going again
    03-23-13 07:28 AM