Does anyone know how to get google maps to work on a playbook? I have download both apps that appear related, and they work okay, but I would like access to my maps like I can on my torch. When I go to google maps on my browser, it always just says "loading" and never does.
    Old Cable Guy likes this.
    12-26-11 10:00 AM
    Not sure why it doesn't work but it never has. Some say if you're on the beta that the android app does work.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-26-11 10:02 AM
    GoogleMaps obviously detects or does not detect something when running on the pb and does not work properly. I've used an alternate browser which allows a change of UserAgents (make it think it is running firefox or I.E. or android chrome, etc) and even that does not work.

I imagine we could complain to google or ask for help but I have a feeling, they would not be too concerned.
    12-26-11 10:35 AM
    Doesn't the installed Bing maps do the same job?
    12-26-11 10:50 AM
    I think it does but people want google for some reason. Probably because they hate MS.
    12-26-11 10:55 AM
    I think it does but people want google for some reason. Probably because they hate MS.
    Makes sense, but not really. I used Google Maps on my phone and PC, I used Bing Maps on the PB. The maps are nearly identical looking. The functions are nearly identical. I personally enjoyed both the same. I will never understand the hype about brands.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-26-11 11:01 AM
    The reason I want google is because I have a map in my maps that I would like access to. Does Bing have the same feature? Maybe that would work too.
    12-26-11 06:35 PM
    Makes sense, but not really. I used Google Maps on my phone and PC, I used Bing Maps on the PB. The maps are nearly identical looking. The functions are nearly identical. I personally enjoyed both the same. I will never understand the hype about brands.

So, your saying that a car is a car, you don't have a favorite beer, whiskey, ect.....

different flavors for different folks. Maps, same thing. We all have personal preferences.
    12-26-11 06:43 PM
    Google maps shows where my friends are. Any program can map me, I want to see where my friends are and as they move around.
    12-26-11 06:46 PM
    use the app called "MapApp" in blackberry world
    12-26-11 06:49 PM
    So, your saying that a car is a car, you don't have a favorite beer, whiskey, ect.....

different flavors for different folks. Maps, same thing. We all have personal preferences.
    Is that Lake Powell, crazy, powellcrazy? Looks to be the avatar picture.
    12-26-11 08:25 PM
    Bing maps always seems to have more accurate traffic results than Google. I stopped using Google maps a long time ago.
    12-26-11 08:31 PM
    Resurrecting this not so old thread.

I've tried the regular pb browser and I've tried some of the alternative browsers by sideloading them or downloading from appworld. The Alternatives allow one to change the user agent so that you "fool" the site into thinking you are something other than a pb. None of those work on GoogleMaps (and hulu which I'm less interested in dealing with).

Do any of our esteemed members know what is sent/read/used by sites to determine what I'm using to reach/read their site. Obviously, it is more than the user agent. We must have a webmaster or similar guru hereabouts that knows what is being checked and if it can be tweaked in some manner.

I will post this as a separate thread if need be for more specific hits...
    12-31-11 06:05 PM
    Could not get BIng to work right.
    12-31-11 06:09 PM
    I recently tried and purchased Megallen compus. It allows you to bookmark maps and save points of interest, so although it doesn't use layers, I can re-enter the info I want to save into a saved map. For me it is well worth the $5.
    Kerrstar likes this.
    01-22-12 08:40 AM
    use the app called "MapApp" in blackberry world
    yes this app works well. gps locator is not working for me though
    01-22-12 09:59 AM
    I use MapApp as well. It's a bit quirky (like the review says). GPS locator does find me but a few miles away if there's any obstruction overhead. With a clear sky, or close to a window, it gets me close enough.

Pinch Zoom has a mind of it's own.
    01-22-12 10:20 AM
    There's a new thread that shows how to get Googlemaps to work using the Igoogle homepage and adding a googlemap gadget. I just tried it and it appears to work. The main disadvantage, I'd guess, is that you have to create an account so your settings stick and then google learns even more about you. You can set it up to merely use cookies and not create an account, it looks like.
    01-22-12 11:43 AM
    Personally I've always thought Mapapp was identical to Google maps. Works fine for me.
    01-22-12 06:00 PM
    Am successfully using version 4.3 (search Google) with OS2. Local map does cache so can be used offline. Layers and directions can be pre-loaded but once map is cleared need an internet connection to reload.
    Also using Mapdroyd with the advantage of downloadable maps.
    Both have short time to GPS Fix.
    02-09-12 05:12 AM
    I don't want to make apple comparisons but i hope they can make it (google maps) work as flawlessly as it does on the ipad.

The reason i want Google maps is that all my trips (past and present) are stored there.
    02-09-12 09:07 AM
    whether you like Google or not it SHOULD work. When so many webpages use an embedded google map to find them and google maps is the reference its ridiculous that it doesn't work after this long.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-09-12 09:19 AM
    Try nokia maps. I know you want it to work with google since you have already invested all this time using it, but nokia maps seems to work flawlessly in the browser.
    02-09-12 09:44 AM
    It appears Google maps through PB browser works now (I recall it wasn't working before for some reason). Not sure if this is due to having latest Beta or something changed on google server.
    02-09-12 09:55 AM
    Google maps still doesn't work here on official. Now when I first search in google before I'm done typing the screen refreshes taking me back to the blank search page I was just typing in.

Yes open source, internet for all unless you use a bb. Kind of makes open source not so open.
    02-09-12 10:04 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD