I downloaded Google Maps 6.12 from GoodeReader and I'm very impressed with some of the features. I was able to download and save offline maps for an upcoming trip and I also was able to drive around town and "follow the blue arrow". But I can't get the Navigation to work. Has anyone else tried to use all the Google Maps 6.12 features on their Playbook, and if so, what works / doesn't work versus a native Android device. Thanks !!!
    astro49 likes this.
    10-10-12 02:32 PM
    It requires an internet connection to use the Navigation feature!

You can Bridge to it using and BB or Tether with a BB or another phone with Wifi Hotspot.

But, no offline navigation on 6.12...

Try OsmAnd.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    russ2903 likes this.
    10-10-12 02:36 PM
    It requires an internet connection to use the Navigation feature!
    No it doesn't. Well at least 6.2 doesn't and I'm pretty sure earlier versions didn't either. What it needs is to be online in order to calculate a route, after that it will follow the route so long as you have the proper maps cached.
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    10-10-12 02:58 PM
    Is this an Android application and does it need to be sideloaded?
    10-10-12 05:54 PM
    Is this an Android application and does it need to be sideloaded?
    Yes
    10-10-12 06:12 PM
    Well to put this on a tangent..i can't get. Bar files to install on the 2.1.0.1032 OS..any tips?
    I am trying to use localbar2
    chiniki likes this.
    10-10-12 07:18 PM
    Localbar2 was too complicated for me. PlayBook Tools works like a charm everyone though.
    10-10-12 08:33 PM
    Mine works quite well as long as my playbook is upside down in my vehicle mount.... Right way up i have issues with lost GPS signal. I do find when switching back to the map screen it will close automatically... I cant say i like the fact that it doesnt keep the screen alive.... but its a minor inconvenience!!
    10-10-12 10:23 PM
    I installed with chrome extension and it installed fine.
    10-10-12 10:30 PM
    I recently installed it and it would just force close. I tried to reinstall but same results.
    10-11-12 12:18 AM
    I installed recently and it force close every time.
    10-11-12 03:37 AM
    I installed with chrome extension and it installed fine.
    what is chrome extension?
    thanks.
    10-11-12 03:39 AM
    I like the 6.11 verison more
    10-11-12 03:51 AM
    I like the 6.11 verison more
    I second that! I've found the 6.12 version to be buggy. Not only does it start up at the wrong screen (Local vs. Map), I couldn't for the life of me get it to pick up the GPS signal on my new PB. By contrast, my old PB running 6.11.1 picks it up within 30-45 seconds.

Of course, neither version allows you to access the Settings page (this hasn't worked since 6.02). But with the offline caching function available from the main UI it still makes for a viable "live" compass and positioning mechanism when disconnected - more than adequate for basic "where the am I?" type navigation.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-11-12 01:37 PM
    what is chrome extension?
    thanks.
    Playbook App Manager

PlayBook App Manager
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ljnelbpblnikkp
    10-12-12 12:52 AM
    Not only does it start up at the wrong screen (Local vs. Map), I couldn't for the life of me get it to pick up the GPS signal on my new PB. By contrast, my old PB running 6.11.1 picks it up within 30-45 seconds.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    I think it does not start at wrong screen. earlier one was latitude, and this one is local. And they both behave same in Android as well. (in term of first screen).

About not able to get GPS signal(it does work on mine). You can install both the version at same time. So may be you can have them both on same playbook and check how they compare?
    10-12-12 01:07 AM
    Mine calculates route fine when bridged, but quickly says GPS signal lost. I was so hopeful.
    bruteforce037 likes this.
    10-12-12 07:29 AM
    earlier one was latitude, and this one is local.
    I side loaded 6.3.0 and it installed perfectly well but pretty much force quits after a few minutes of using it. It shows on the PB desktop as Latitude which confused me at first. Before it for quits it looks like it would be good but I want to un-install it and try something more stable.

I'm still new to the PB. Can someone tell me how to un-install please? Do I just delete it?

Then, where is the best place to find other versions that I can side load?

Which one are we saying is the best?

From the App world I bought "GPS Maps and Directions for Google Maps +" It's ok, I haven't really used it much because when I bought it I thought I was buying Google Maps. On my Bold 9790 I have Google Maps v.4.5.3 and it works really well. Very stable and always finds my location quickly. What I really want is the same thing on my playbook. It's one of the few things I assumed would be a given on the PB.
    pasalerno likes this.
    01-04-13 09:41 PM
    Is there any way to use the street view on google maps 6.2 on the playbook?
    04-30-13 05:12 PM