Will it ever be available for download oj the PlayBook?
    10-08-12 12:02 AM
    I doubt it.

It only recent became available for iOS devices, and I would guess that Chrome isn't anywhere near as secure enough for RIM to let it onto any of its devices. I would also think that it would be kind of awkward to open new tabs, unless Google made use of the bezel for gestures, which I'm guessing they wouldn't because they have their own Android 7" tablets. With the PlayBook's browser, you swipe down to open a new tab or go into the Browser options... I don't know how that would work with Chrome.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    10-08-12 12:50 AM
    I'm waiting google chrome for playbook and also firefox..anyone try sideload?
    10-08-12 12:56 AM
    Even a real android device(2.3 OS) can't run the chrome, playbook android runtime (same 2.3) won't do better than that.
    10-08-12 01:00 AM
    Oh..sad case like that...hopefully rim can gv an update for android player on this 2.1..seen we will waiting so long until bb10 arrive...
    10-08-12 01:05 AM
    Will it ever be available for download oj the PlayBook?
    no
    10-08-12 01:12 AM
    Even if it comes to App World I wouldn't use it because I'm more than happy with the playbook browser itself and also would rather not sacrifice flash player either. Playbook Browser all the way!
    esk369 likes this.
    10-08-12 02:05 AM
    I watched an interview with a RIM employee were he talked about Android 4.0 runtime possibly coming to BlackBerry10 in the future. If or when this happens it maybe could be possible but I doubt it. I'm still waiting to have a iOS player along with my BlackBerry and Android all on one device.
    10-08-12 02:13 AM
    Google Chrome is available as BETA on Android, but i tried converting apk to bar and downloading it, but when i open it the bb keyboard won't work and it makes me force close g chrome. If you want, i can email you the g chrome bar file. Just send me your email.
    10-14-12 01:37 PM
    In my experience with my t300 I have used just about all the browsers available.
    1.chrome is ok not as good as the stock browser not sure if it would be any better on pb vs the stock browser.
    2. I just downloaded firefox beta I'm not going to say it sux but its got a long way to go so I would imagine it would be the same on pb.
    3. Dolphin browser for tablets beta imo the best alternative to the android stock browser but not as good.
    I like pb stock browser its missing some basic features but still more stable then android and again thats just my personal opinion I would like to see some added features to the stock pb browser just my 2bits.
    DC506 likes this.
    10-14-12 02:00 PM
    I would love to see a native version of dolphin on the PB. Even the version that is available on app world is worth a try, despite its sluggish performance. I quite like it's interface, and I use it regularly, even though it's no where as smooth as the stock browser.
    10-14-12 07:59 PM
    I doubt it.

It only recent became available for iOS devices, and I would guess that Chrome isn't anywhere near as secure enough for RIM to let it onto any of its devices. I would also think that it would be kind of awkward to open new tabs, unless Google made use of the bezel for gestures, which I'm guessing they wouldn't because they have their own Android 7" tablets. With the PlayBook's browser, you swipe down to open a new tab or go into the Browser options... I don't know how that would work with Chrome.
    I suspect if Chrome was available for PB, RIM would jump all over it. IOWs, I suspect it has little to do with RIM deciding it isn't "secure" enough (LOL) and more to do with Google simply not seeing it as enough of a money grab just yet.

IMHO, Chrome is the best cloud-efficient browser right now, even without flash.
    randall2580 likes this.
    10-14-12 08:11 PM
    There is always the open source Chromium browser, which is the open source project that Google based Chrome on. Perhaps some developer might be interested in porting it, although I don't see what there would really be to gain over the native playbook browser which is pretty capable in itself.

Russ.
    10-14-12 08:19 PM
    I'd like a copy of the bar. [email protected] thanks
    12-12-12 09:03 PM
    Very unlikely but not impossible.

They were not planning on releasing Firefox for Android either sometime back. Firefox, Chrome and Skype's video calling utilize a lot of native code.

Currently, Blackberry's Android player doesn't support the Android Native code. ie: code that run directly on the processor rather than the DalvikVM.

Playbook does have support for running native code through RIM's APIs. However, to utilize this, the entire app must be ported from Android to BB OS or someone has to write an alternate Android Player for BB tablets. But, this's a lot of work. Not as easy as porting apk to bar.
    12-12-12 10:49 PM
    I watched an interview with a RIM employee were he talked about Android 4.0 runtime possibly coming to BlackBerry10 in the future. If or when this happens it maybe could be possible but I doubt it. I'm still waiting to have a iOS player along with my BlackBerry and Android all on one device.
    ______

Keep hoping.
    12-12-12 11:25 PM
    we might see opera, perhaps native dolphin but not chrome. google will not support bb. personally I would like to see firefox. I am surprised that this "rebel" free non for profit browser has not supported "underdog" which is rim

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    12-13-12 06:37 AM
    I like it when people say words like "no", "impossible" etc. without caveats...
    todbanner likes this.
    12-13-12 01:38 PM
    I doubt it.

If it doesn't come, it's because Google feels they have no reason to build/maintain it. iOS has a massive user base and its version of Chrome came the same time the Android version was taken out of Beta.
    They don't have to design it to work exactly like the PlayBook browser. If Google were to make the app, it would be when the PlayBook was updated to BB10, in which case everything would work differently. Chrome as it is on other platforms would be workable for the PlayBook, save for the bezel gesture to quick-switch tabs.

My opinion: very unlikely for Chrome, but I can see other Google Apps like maps, translate, drive, etc. coming to BB10.
    12-13-12 08:01 PM
    I somehow can't see Chrome coming to the Playbook, after all 'technically' the playbook is classed as a rival
    12-19-12 05:49 PM
    I suspect if Chrome was available for PB, RIM would jump all over it. IOWs, I suspect it has little to do with RIM deciding it isn't "secure" enough (LOL) and more to do with Google simply not seeing it as enough of a money grab just yet.

IMHO, Chrome is the best cloud-efficient browser right now, even without flash.
    I would prefer that RIM stay with a proprietary or independently developed browser with ad blocker capability and strong protection for Privacy and Security.
    12-19-12 06:47 PM
    Chrome browser blows for html5. Why would you want to use a crappy browser? Wait for bb10
    12-20-12 12:23 AM
    I like it when people say words like "no", "impossible" etc. without caveats...
    "caveats" and "metric" are the two words people see and then regurgitate the most on internet forums
    12-20-12 12:28 AM