I need directions from my address to another specific address.

Trials:

1) Since Google Maps website doesn't work on the playbook, I've tried the built-in Bing Maps app. But, if I paste an address into the search bar, it doesn't find it! It seems it's expecting the name of a place.

2) If I click Directions in Bing Maps, then in the From or To fields, it won't let me paste there, either. I simply do not get the "Paste" link coming up, as if it's not a real text field.

Are we just screwed in every way??
    01-26-12 10:06 PM
    Check appworld for a 3rd party Google maps app or wait a few weeks.
    01-26-12 10:27 PM
    Some folks like the Paid Magellan app.

I got the trial. I was able to paste in my doc's address and my zip and it calculated a route. Then I was able to save those points and then use them as the basis for routing the other way. I'm not sure but it did not seem like there was any direct ability to REVERSE a route.

Although, I could not figure out if you can search for a business, like Costco and then get directions to it.
    01-26-12 10:37 PM
    But, if I paste an address into the search bar, it doesn't find it! It seems it's expecting the name of place.
    It works for me. You have to bring up the keyboard and hit "return" and it finds the address.
    01-27-12 12:02 AM
    bing maps sucks. #1 on my deleted apps list. stupid exclusive microsoft deals.

we should have the choice of map services. i'll take google hands down.
    01-27-12 12:21 AM
    Google-maps works pretty good for me, both in map mode and satellite I have to be careful how I interact with the screen, carefully tapping twice to zoom in and light reverse swipe to go up. It's cool to take screen-shots of maps and saving them for times your offline.
    01-27-12 12:21 AM
    Yeah I have to agree Bing Maps isnt aa good as Google Maps, Navigation, Latitude etc I even get 3d rendering on my Nexus.
    01-27-12 12:29 AM
    I have the magellan app, and find it to be quite good. The way you can reverse is by hitting the dropdown menu (stickpin) it saves all your points on both sides.
    01-27-12 05:32 AM
    I have the magellan app, and find it to be quite good. The way you can reverse is by hitting the dropdown menu (stickpin) it saves all your points on both sides.
    I think that I did find that. But can you search for the name of a business, like Costco or Starbucks and select it and then get directions? Costco for cheaper gas and Starbucks for the caffeine fanatics (not me!).
    01-27-12 08:44 AM
    I haven't found a way to search for business names. The coffee button will get you to Starbucks and the gas pump will get you to Costco but that doesn't help for more obscure businesses. I copy and paste addresses from websites.
    The developer mentioned on their website that voice turn by turn is coming. Certainly worth 4.99 in my opinion. If they could add some on board region specific maps I'd be in for 15-20$.
    01-27-12 09:23 AM
    I use Poynt and it works great with mapping directions.
    01-27-12 09:27 AM
    Plus, ithe magellan app works while bridged
    01-27-12 09:30 AM
    I
    2) If I click Directions in Bing Maps, then in the From or To fields, it won't let me paste there, either. I simply do not get the "Paste" link coming up, as if it's not a real text field.

Are we just screwed in every way??
    I don't know if this is will fix it, but I have noticed that if paste isn't working for a text box, putting a space in the text box using the keyboard will then allow paste to work.

I just tried a copy from the web browser to Bing and the paste will go into the main search field of Bing, but not the point A to B fields. These fields seem to be running some sort of smart lookup that may block the paste function.
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-27-12 at 09:37 AM.
    01-27-12 09:30 AM
    Google-maps works pretty good for me, both in map mode and satellite I have to be careful how I interact with the screen, carefully tapping twice to zoom in and light reverse swipe to go up. It's cool to take screen-shots of maps and saving them for times your offline.
    Hi, Hope I don't get abuse like I did on another thread but I read in your post that you can take screen-shots, is this on a PB and if so how do you take a screen shot. I have looked all over my PB without success for this option. Thanks.
    01-27-12 10:03 AM
    Press volume +&- at the same time.
    gl1000rider likes this.
    01-27-12 10:07 AM
    Hi again, I have just found out how to do screen-shots, feel a bit silly.
    01-27-12 10:16 AM
    Hi again, I have just found out how to do screen-shots, feel a bit silly.
    Just in case this is your next question, depending on how you get your data on your BlackBerry phone (BIS, BES) the screen capture and copy and paste may be disabled when in bridge apps if you are on a corporate plan (BES).
    01-27-12 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD