Would you guys recommend the PB or ipad2? I want to use it for taking notes, writing papers, surfing the web, basically everything a normal college kid would do on a computer. ( Don't want to carry my laptop around everywhere) and do you guys think we would be able to skype on either the ipad2 or pb? And which one would be in the price range that a college kid could afford? Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 12:51 PM
    Would you guys recommend the PB or ipad2? I want to use it for taking notes, writing papers, surfing the web, basically everything a normal college kid would do on a computer. ( Don't want to carry my laptop around everywhere) and do you guys think we would be able to skype on either the ipad2 or pb? And which one would be in the price range that a college kid could afford? Lol

I am a freshman at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I thought that buying a laptop would be great for use in class. It is sure, but be careful because sometimes the desks that flip up out of the chairs are so small they barely support a 14" laptop, let alone my 17" one. I cannot wait to get the PlayBook for having my e-Textbook available in class and no longer have to bring most of my books. It also is a great space saver because it is easy to sit it on your lap if you need the desk space.

I saved $600 for this and some accessories, and I'm expecting about $450 for the 16GB model i am getting.

I also just bought a touch-captive pen (Acase $19.99) at Amazon.com because i am going to use that and the keyboard for notes and it also has a pen inside.

A picture of BlackBerry App World for PlayBook was seen with the Skype icon in it, but unknown if it supports video calling out of the gate. But yes, BlackBerry will have their own program but i'd prefer Skype.

Seeing as you have a Tour 9630, i'd recommend the PlayBook as you can tether your Bberry to the PlayBook for 3G internet as some places on all campuses may not have Wi-Fi or may be having a Wi-Fi outage. I have that happen and have to lug my laptop to the library.

However note, i need it IN ADDITION TO my laptop, not a laptop replacement. You definitely need a laptop for college. tablet is just a luxury to make things easier
    Last edited by dsquared2; 01-25-11 at 07:09 PM.
    01-25-11 01:12 PM
    the PlayBook is much more portable and better at surfing the web, and looks like it will be priced (at the very most) at the same price as the iPad. If you want to be able to properly multitask, get the Playbook. If you want to play games, wait and see how the playbook does, but I think the iPad will still be better, at least for a while, but if you actually will be doing your schoolwork then the Playbook would probably be perfect.
    01-25-11 02:23 PM
    I think it depends on the college, your major, and most importantly you. Some colleges and schools are requiring new students to get iPads for eTextbooks. If you are at one of these then you would obviously want to get the iPad2. If not, then go to the store, test both out and see what works for what you do. I would also recommend purchasing from some place that has a 30 day or more return policy so you can actually try whatever your first choice is in class just in case when put into action in your real world use it doesn't meet your needs.

I would say that your not going to replace a laptop with any tablet right now for all things you need to do in college. I can't imagine spending hours and hours in front of a tiny screen typing out a research paper for a class, and that's even assuming using some sort of external keyboard. Maybe if someone comes out with a dock that has ability to connect a keyboard and an external monitor, but I haven't seen this yet for any tablet (I know Apple has a keyboard only one but still uses the iPad screen).

Also if your going into a technical major (Engineering, Sciences, etc) your probably going to need something with a lot more HP than a tablet can offer.

If you can only get a tablet or a laptop, I'd recommend a laptop, and take the notes the old fashioned way. Also as for the pricing, nothing definite has come out for either the iPad2 or the Playbook.
    01-25-11 03:04 PM
    I think it depends on the college, your major, and most importantly you. Some colleges and schools are requiring new students to get iPads for eTextbooks.
    I suspect that will change with MORE tablets on the Market, forcing one platform when other platforms can read the same file formats would be anti competitive, unless they subsidize the hardware, or the hardware is specific to the course, google has fought this fight again Microsoft office and government institutions

I would say that your not going to replace a laptop with any tablet right now for all things you need to do in college. I can't imagine spending hours and hours in front of a tiny screen typing out a research paper for a class, and that's even assuming using some sort of external keyboard. Maybe if someone comes out with a dock that has ability to connect a keyboard and an external monitor, but I haven't seen this yet for any tablet (I know Apple has a keyboard only one but still uses the iPad screen).
    you could replace a LAPTOP with a tablet but you'd still need a desktop.
    If I was a college kid today I'd want a Tablet and a Desktop, having done Engineering in University I was VERY lucky to have multiple monitors on my desktop back in 2000-2002, I would still pick Multiple Monitor desktop over a Laptop and being able to host a server in the Dorm, the "portability" of a laptop becomes a liability to me, a small tablet can be tucked away a lot easier than a laptop for going to the pub,

That said there have been studies that say you learn more from hand writing than you do from typing, so taking actual notes in class vs typing them should be better, ideally you want one of those pens that store what you write and then you can throw it into a OneNote file when you are done each day.

Also if your going into a technical major (Engineering, Sciences, etc) your probably going to need something with a lot more HP than a tablet can offer.

If you can only get a tablet or a laptop, I'd recommend a laptop, and take the notes the old fashioned way. Also as for the pricing, nothing definite has come out for either the iPad2 or the Playbook.
    I'm voting desktop + tablet over Laptop + tablet
    01-25-11 04:18 PM
    i agree with this the most, i think playbook will be mainly for browsing/ entertainment and enterprise stuff... i highly doubt it will be better than a notebook/laptop for notes/ school work besides using it for etext books.
    I think it depends on the college, your major, and most importantly you. Some colleges and schools are requiring new students to get iPads for eTextbooks. If you are at one of these then you would obviously want to get the iPad2. If not, then go to the store, test both out and see what works for what you do. I would also recommend purchasing from some place that has a 30 day or more return policy so you can actually try whatever your first choice is in class just in case when put into action in your real world use it doesn't meet your needs.

01-25-11 05:02 PM

Since neither are on the market yet, I think it's a wee bit premature to be asking these questions. Call me crazy, but I don't see how anyone can give you a reliable answer at this juncture. At the moment, most of the chatter is conjecture. The "facts" were already mentioned when RIM announced the PB, and a few additional tidbits dribbled out over the last month or so, but anyone not associated with RIM is either guessing or regurgitating what they have read on line. Give it time!
    Last edited by dave1812; 01-25-11 at 05:37 PM.
    01-25-11 05:34 PM
    I can tell you this: Over the past two years I went back to college to earn my Masters. I had some pre-reqs and then a 13 month program. At the start, I bought a netbook (Asus 1000HA) and it served me just fine through the entire thing. Now, is the PB sufficient? I wouldn't think so based on this: I needed a graphic design program with a mouse, and had heavy typing. I couldn't have pounded out those thousands of pages on an on screen keyboard. Now, if you can buy a physical keyboard accessory for the PB, that might change things. It makes the PB more of a netbook. Answer is still: We'll see.
    01-25-11 06:56 PM
    you could replace a LAPTOP with a tablet but you'd still need a desktop.
    If I was a college kid today I'd want a Tablet and a Desktop, having done Engineering in University I was VERY lucky to have multiple monitors on my desktop back in 2000-2002, I would still pick Multiple Monitor desktop over a Laptop and being able to host a server in the Dorm, the "portability" of a laptop becomes a liability to me, a small tablet can be tucked away a lot easier than a laptop for going to the pub,
    I guess some of what I stated was from my experience in Engineering school school when a top of the line P100 with a Gig of RAM, 2GB HD and a 15" MAG CRT was over $3000 (non name brand PC too). It ran Doom2 and the original Quake awesome through . I think a high end laptop now could handle all tasks of non Engineering school. Also I thought it was a huge PITA to move my tower and monitor home during the summer, and it sucked not having it over the winter break.

Personally I don't see much value in a tablet for school unless you need one for eTextbooks. I could just imagine taking notes on a tablet and something happen to it (stolen, corrupted, etc.) and all your notes are gone.
    01-25-11 08:05 PM
    The iPad 2 would be better for a college kid. The Apps are there, and it will have the capabilities.

Skype already exists on iOS and will likely come to the iPad 2 with Video Chat even.

Microsoft has OneNote for iOS which will likely come to iOS, and WLM.

iOS has native ActiveSync support, as well...

I dunno, it's a touch choice but I think for a student/consumer device the Apple product has several advantages...
    01-25-11 08:09 PM
    If I had to pick I'd go with the ipad2 simply because of the larger screen. Zagg makes a nice bluetooth keyboard for ipad which also doubles as a case.
    01-25-11 09:04 PM
    depends on how you feel about Apple I would say. Both are right up the same alley, but the PB is gonna be really good a multi tasking. I have been waiting for a pre-order for the playbook since the day it was announced and I am a 3rd year college student. I figure once I get it, I will only use my laptop to right papers.

ALSO. Remember. You will be able to tether the PB directly to your BB. Giving you internet even where your college may not have internet. Thats a HUGE thing for me. I dont want to have to pay for another data plan like you have to with the ipad to get internet on it if your not using wifi.
    01-25-11 09:45 PM
    but the PB is gonna be really good a multi tasking

ALSO. Remember. You will be able to tether the PB directly to your BB. Giving you internet even where your college may not have internet.
    EXACTLY. Dorms sometimes dont have it, or random buildings or restaurants and the fact i can take my data plan i already pay for and use that is a win in my book. also is multitasking, i can have an etextbook, internet, notes, music if i want and maybe a calculator if i need it with out SWITCHING
    01-25-11 09:58 PM
    depends on how you feel about Apple I would say. Both are right up the same alley, but the PB is gonna be really good a multi tasking. I have been waiting for a pre-order for the playbook since the day it was announced and I am a 3rd year college student. I figure once I get it, I will only use my laptop to right papers.

ALSO. Remember. You will be able to tether the PB directly to your BB. Giving you internet even where your college may not have internet. Thats a HUGE thing for me. I dont want to have to pay for another data plan like you have to with the ipad to get internet on it if your not using wifi.
    Iphone is getting wireless hotspot and any decent android phone has that.

That won't be an issue by the time the second pad is out...

The vzw iphone will launch with this feature and no us Carrier lets anyone tether for free... That will include bb2pb tendering of the data connection.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-25-11 at 11:30 PM.
    01-25-11 11:27 PM
    Iphone is getting wireless hotspot and any decent android phone has that.

That won't be an issue by the time the second pad is out...
    Just announced--$20/mo for iPhone hotspot on Verizon.
    01-25-11 11:29 PM
    "I thought that buying a laptop would be great for use in class. It is sure, but be careful because sometimes the desks that flip up out of the chairs are so small they barely support a 14" laptop, let alone my 17" one"

Exactly why I don't want to carry around my laptop, and I don't want to risk getting it stolen or broken because I would have to carry it around in another bag

01-26-11 12:05 AM
    Personally to me it would just be a toss up between the screen sizes. I would rather have the Playbook because i use to hate to carry and also buy books. Then the second thing i would hate to have to carry a bunch of crap on me. I'm just hopping that all the books u need for college can be bought as ebooks, so all i would need is my Playbook (ipad) and a notepad.
    01-26-11 12:27 AM
    Personally to me it would just be a toss up between the screen sizes. I would rather have the Playbook because i use to hate to carry and also buy books. Then the second thing i would hate to have to carry a bunch of crap on me. I'm just hopping that all the books u need for college can be bought as ebooks, so all i would need is my Playbook (ipad) and a notepad.
    Actually, if it wasn't for the fact I need to use a smartpen (lol) then I would be using my Playbook for notes too.
    01-26-11 01:16 AM
    "I thought that buying a laptop would be great for use in class. It is sure, but be careful because sometimes the desks that flip up out of the chairs are so small they barely support a 14" laptop, let alone my 17" one"

Exactly why I don't want to carry around my laptop, and I don't want to risk getting it stolen or broken because I would have to carry it around in another bag

yes i HATE having to pack everything up just to go get lunch because i cant leave the laptop out and need a seat with an electrical outlet next to it. orrrrr i could put the PB in my coat pocket and have no worries about a seat next to an outlet
    01-26-11 07:58 AM
    yes i HATE having to pack everything up just to go get lunch because i cant leave the laptop out and need a seat with an electrical outlet next to it. orrrrr i could put the PB in my coat pocket and have no worries about a seat next to an outlet

I see the Playbook being very attractive to the female students who carry purses,
    the Playbook or other 7" tabs could tuck away in most purses and they go from scholastic to Fun without having to stop at their dorm room.

Even going back to University I would want 7" over 9-10" because of portability, though less important in University than it is to me now.

What I really hope to see is someone make a Battery case for the Playbook like the iPhone has, where basically it doubled the thickness and doubles the life of the device. I can live with a 1" tablet if it can do 14-18 hours with it!
    01-26-11 09:02 AM
    A 10 inch net book could fit your needs. They're bigger than a tablet, but not by much. With nearly the same functionality of a full on laptop, they are thin, light, and about the same dimensions of an ipad. I have a friend who has one and she can stick it in her purse.

01-26-11 10:45 AM
    I've got a laptop but the portability of the PB will be extremely useful to take to class and do whatever I need to do there, especially as I have a lot of books to bring with me as well. When I get back home, I'll just look at what I did on the PB and use the laptop as my main word processing tool.
    01-26-11 02:14 PM
    It's really personal preference. But based on what you listed, I would probably select the iPad right now. Based on the developer support and widespread use already, it might be the better choice at this point in time. But again, it's really what you decide. Personally, I don't find the 7 inch screen big enough for reading, typing a lot and taking notes. But that's just me so it depends on what you think.
    01-26-11 02:52 PM
    I see the Playbook being very attractive to the female students who carry purses,
    the Playbook or other 7" tabs could tuck away in most purses and they go from scholastic to Fun without having to stop at their dorm room.

Even going back to University I would want 7" over 9-10"
    because of portability, though less important in University than it is to me now.

What I really hope to see is someone make a Battery case for the Playbook like the iPhone has, where basically it doubled the thickness and doubles the life of the device. I can live with a 1" tablet if it can do 14-18 hours with it!

**** yeah i can live with 1' tablet for 14-18 hours lol

01-27-11 12:26 AM
    Just announced--$20/mo for iPhone hotspot on Verizon.
    Yep, and it's going to come to AT&T as well.

iPad has built-in ActiveSync Support, PIM Applications, and iWorks.

You just need "a phone with wireless tethering" to get basically full functionaity out of the device. That means you can have a cheap T-Mobile Android phone with Unlimited Data and FroYo+ and pay $15/mo to tether a WiFi iPad.

Playbook with its lack of native PIM Applications and ActiveSync support still is very much dependent on a blackberry for full functionality - regardless of what RIM says.

That will hold it back.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see other products coming out with commercials mocking it on that point when it gets released. It will be embarassing if RIM releases the tablet with that "deficiency."
    01-27-11 10:33 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD