Hi all,

Anyone else in the UK have problems with video streaming from broadcaster VOD websites (BBC, ITV, Channel4 etc.)?
    It all seems to work, but only plays for a few minutes before freezing and buffering (Channel 4 seems to be the worst). It does keep going eventually, but is really annoying, and makes the programs almost impossible to watch.
    I don't think it is the broadband or WiFi as my laptop which is in the same room and connected to the same WiFi router (and same broadband connection) seems to work fine...

I read a post elsewhere that thought it might have something to do with the limited amount of memory that the Playbook browser allocates not being enough for smooth playback(?). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this work? Is there another browser available that will work better with these websites??

Thanks,

Chris.
    Last edited by ChrisMay; 01-21-13 at 03:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    mpetrol likes this.
    01-21-13 03:38 AM
    I think it is known....

watching bbc i-player works fine for me.... as long as you are not trying to watch a live feed.

itv is really frustrating as both live and recorded feeds buffer... what's worse is that the adverts before the programming don't appear to have the same problems.

I haven't tried channel 4.

it would be good if they provided a download service.

if anyone knows any workarounds then I would also be grateful.
    01-21-13 04:31 AM
    YouTube does it for me. Whatever I'm watching, no matter the length of the clip or if it's HD or not, starts to buffer 90% in
    01-21-13 03:17 PM
    Just going to bump this back up with another question.
    It seems that for some people, streaming from sites such as iPlayer or 4OD work fine, and for others, it never seems to work properly. Has anyone done any serious experimenting with this to try and find out why. I am taking it as read that there is enough bandwidth on the internet connection to support the streaming, as obviously it is never going to work if this is not the case.
    Could it be because I have a fairly old WiFi router (should still have waaay more bandwidth than needed though - and works fine to the laptop). I tried a couple of different browsers (Dolphin and 'Simple Browser') yesterday, but they seemed to be pretty much the same. Is it possible to adjust the amount of buffering? Maybe the Playbook has a problem with the sustained data rate???
    It's a real disapointment for me that I can't get this to work properly as it was one of the reasons I wanted a tablet in the first place.

Regards,

Chris.
    01-22-13 10:39 AM
    Hey this has been a problem for me on channel 4. Very confused as to why this is happening, and we have BT infinity broadband, it works absolutely fine on laptops, just not playbook so I'm interested to see what others say
    01-22-13 11:56 AM
    Does it use flash? Might be RIM needs to update it which I don't think is going to happen until BB10 comes to the pb.
    01-22-13 12:10 PM
    Does it use flash? Might be RIM needs to update it which I don't think is going to happen until BB10 comes to the pb.
    It probably does use flash, but in fairness, the version of flash on .1314 (flash_version::11.1.121.71) doesn't appear too primitive.
    01-22-13 01:02 PM
    I've raised it with Blackberry Tech. Support...

I'll let you know if they say anything useful.

Cheers,

Chris.
    01-23-13 07:00 AM
    I've raised it with Blackberry Tech. Support...

I'll let you know if they say anything useful.

Cheers,

Chris.
    Good luck with that.
    01-23-13 07:26 AM
    Good luck with that.
    Is that sarcasm? I've not dealt with BB T.S. before, do you not expect me to get a sensible response then?
    01-23-13 07:46 AM
    Is that sarcasm? I've not dealt with BB T.S. before, do you not expect me to get a sensible response then?
    Nope. I'm expecting having to wait for BB10
    01-23-13 07:53 AM
    Nope. I'm expecting having to wait for BB10
    Fair point, they have probably got other things on their mind right now, other than my problems watching Eastenders on iPlayer...!

(PS. I don't really watch Eastenders!)
    01-23-13 09:06 AM