Hello there! Wondering if anybody ever tried this GARMIN receiver with the PlayBook... Works over Bluetooth with Apple and Android software.

Product specs:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=109827

Any information is much appreciated. Thank you.
    02-03-13 09:45 PM
    Why would you? The Playbook has a GPS.
    02-03-13 09:56 PM
    Looks interesting. I can see using it if your mobile gps is not great. I think we expect these phones to do stuff that will replace stand alone devices. I am sure this device is way more accurate than the gps in most phones.
    02-03-13 10:12 PM
    This is most likely utter rubbish but here goes :

Probably not going to work with the PB cos the USB OTG is dasabled in the OS.

I look forward to being corrected / shot down in flames shortly
    02-04-13 06:44 AM
    That I think would turn my PlayBook into a "Garmin grade" GPS solution.

So compelled to try that, if doesn't work with the BBPlayBook, might end up with an ASUS Nexus 7 just because of that.

I don't have enought tech details on how the PlayBook Bluetooth support works.

If anybody has anything relevant to say, please say it. I'll let you all know my results when they happen.

Regards,
    02-04-13 08:30 AM
    A bluetooth device has nothing to do with USB-OTG. We just need bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP), which the Playbook is supposed to have.

I have a different model of bluetooth GPS but it's in my wife's truck right now.
    When I can get my hands on it I'll try connecting to the Playbook.

I've read a few reviews on the Garmin GLO and they are not GLOwing.
    Several people with iPads and Android devices said it was less accurate that the built in GPS.
    02-04-13 08:35 AM
    Teach me to read the spec - didn't see that it was bluetooth. DOH!

Have to say though that I have had very little luck with my PB and bluetooth connections - s'okay with a phone but anything else i've tried hasn't worked or evern shown up as available.

Hope it works for ya though - as this would fix one of the PB's biggest failings imho.
    02-04-13 08:37 AM
    That I think would turn my PlayBook into a "Garmin grade" GPS solution.

So compelled to try that, if doesn't work with the BBPlayBook, might end up with an ASUS Nexus 7 just because of that.

I don't have enought tech details on how the PlayBook Bluetooth support works.

If anybody has anything relevant to say, please say it. I'll let you all know my results when they happen.

Regards,
    Something you haven't considered is the software. What software do you plan to use?
    Any I have on my Playbook does not give you the option of choosing your GPS. They just automatically use the on board device.
    I have tried Magellan Compass and Osmand.
    02-04-13 08:50 AM
    Software isn't there yet. But if it works, this could be easely supported, I think.

As for improvements on the GARMIN receiver, I expect they will come overtime with firmware updates.

Please bring forward your findings pairing your other bluetooth GPS receiver.

I'll keep in touch. Thank you.
    02-04-13 02:40 PM
    Its not just the software program that is needed, but the PlayBook OS has to support external bluetooth GPS. I don't think it does or we would have heard about it in the last two years.
    02-04-13 03:07 PM
    Why would you? The Playbook has a GPS.
    Enjoy the Accurracy of GPS + GLONASS

GLO can receive position information from both the GPS and GLONASS satellite constellations, allowing it to connect to up to 24 more satellites than devices that rely on GPS alone. This allows GLO to lock on to satellites approximately 20% faster and remain connected even at high speed. What’s more, GLO updates its position information at 10x per second – that’s up to 10x more often than the GPS receivers in many mobile devices.
    02-17-13 12:30 PM
    Software isn't there yet. But if it works, this could be easely supported, I think.

As for improvements on the GARMIN receiver, I expect they will come overtime with firmware updates.

Please bring forward your findings pairing your other bluetooth GPS receiver.

I'll keep in touch. Thank you.
    lor.. I am interested in doing the same thing. My research so far indicates and android app Bluetooth GPS by googoo android may be required to turn off the internal PB gps and also provide a display of the connection details. According to my son who has a GLO working in his aircraft using an iPad, it locks in on sats within 30 sec's. Is very pleased with it and works with many different software apps for air navigation plus also with google maps, bing and a garmin road app for highway use. The PB with it's excellent screen and size will make for a perfect mobile GPS etc. KEEP ALL POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS ! A big Thank You..
    02-17-13 12:58 PM
    I have a PlayBook and a Garmin Glo... Tried it with OS 2.1.0.1526... It doesn't work...

Pairing is ok... But when you checkout the Glo under Bluetooth Connections, the PlayBook says it doesn't offer any services.

Update (20130727):

Pairing ok with Bold 9900 and Curve 9320... The Glo can be selected as a GPS Data Source (under "Location Settings" -> "GPS Data Source". But the Glo still flashes its Bluetooth LCD Indicator a "Slow Flashing Blue", which means that it's searching for Mobile Devices (even while it is already paired with the BlackBerry Handset).

If the Garmin Glo thinks it is connected to a Mobile Device, then the Bluetooth LED should be a solid blue.

Final Test: Open field... No cloud cover... The Garmin Glo doesn't seem to work. The location by BlackBerries gave me seems to be plainly Network Assisted data, as it is off by at least 5 kilometers.

Conclusion: It's not for BBs... Tried contacting Garmin for a comment 5 times... Gave up.
    Last edited by Dziyakerxs; 07-26-13 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Updates
    02-26-13 12:49 AM
    Don't expect any firmware updates for the GLO...

The USB port is only for charging, not for communication, so there's no way to update its firmware, as that's not likely to be possible via BT.

Seems like a design flaw, especially given Garmin's firmware skills.

Perhaps it's simple enough internally not to need firmware updates, but...
    04-18-13 09:12 PM