View Poll Results: Which Phone is the best for the PB?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bold 9900

19 65.52%
  • Torch 9810

6 20.69%
  • Torch 9860

4 13.79%
    Good day ladies and gents! Here is my dilemma my contract with AT&T is up on 02/10/2012 and I want to upgrade from my Bold 9700 to a 4G phone but can't decide which one. I only have three phones that I'm interested in. First the Bold 9900 which has a touch screen at $199.99 and I'm really smitten with it, but I have also took a liking to the Torch models also. There is the Torch 9810 with the sliding keyboard which I like and there is the 9860 which has a touch screen keyboard in which I'm not so excited about. I'm thinking the Bold 9900 is the best choice and I'm a bit bias since I really like the Bold 9700, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best phone for my PB.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-31-12 10:23 AM
    Not that it's a bad device, but since you'll be able to pair a BB keyboard with the PB, you'll probably want to eliminate the 9860. I have a 9810, but just looking at what would be the best to pair with the PB, I'd probably say the edge goes to the 9900 because of the better keyboard. In other areas, though -- the camera and the full touchscreen experience -- the 9810 is better IMHO.
    01-31-12 10:29 AM
    It's really based on your preference. I don't think either will out perform the other.
    I too am eligible for an ATT upgrade soon. I have a 9800 and like the larger screen but miss my Bold 9000 form. So what to do? Since I can't decide between the two I may hold on until the next generation of BBM phones are released.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-31-12 10:32 AM
    I'd opt for the 9900, as 2.0 for PlayBook is bringing keyboard bridge to tablet. I'd much rather type on the roomier keyboard for long periods of time over the smaller Torch keyboard. Since you have the PlayBook, the larger screen of the Torch is essentially a wash.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-31-12 10:37 AM
    My upgrade is coming in April and I'm also on the "fence" as to which Blackberry I should purchase. I've been doing my research and even though the 99xx series is having a multitude of problems, IMO it just feels like its made of more solid and quality material then the newer Blackberry. I just hope most/all of the problems are ironed out before I buy.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-31-12 10:46 AM
    9900 will brig the best of remote ... glad I owe one !
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-31-12 10:48 AM
    9900!... Its Awesome!...
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-31-12 10:52 AM
    Torch 9850 rocks da house boys and girls!!
    01-31-12 10:53 AM
    Not that it's a bad device, but since you'll be able to pair a BB keyboard with the PB, you'll probably want to eliminate the 9860. I have a 9810, but just looking at what would be the best to pair with the PB, I'd probably say the edge goes to the 9900 because of the better keyboard. In other areas, though -- the camera and the full touchscreen experience -- the 9810 is better IMHO.
    Willard, JasW hit the nail on the head, +1 to all he said.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-31-12 11:03 AM
    I love my 9810 Torch. I got it before the PB. Now I would probably go for the 9900 Bold because the PB has the screen the Bold the keyboard. Both great phones though.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-31-12 11:16 AM
    I think its all a matter of personal preference any OS 7 will work great with Playbook. I have had several middle aged men who used the Bold and could not stand the keyboard for making phone calls.
    01-31-12 12:04 PM
    This has been a question for me for quite some time now. I have a 9650 that I love, but I'm not sure how much new bridge functionality will be left out of the OS6 version moving forward. I'd certainly like the bump in speed, but there are a few factors that keep me on my 9650 instead of moving ahead. I'm on Sprint which limits my selection based on which BB phones are available for CDMA. Automatically, the Torch 9810 and the 'little brother' Bold 9790 are out based on this. This leaves me the choice of Bold 9930, Torch 9850, and Curve 9350.

1. Battery life:
    All of the OS7 phones have a smaller capacity battery than the 9650. Some say that battery life if fine, but there are plenty of complaints in each of the new OS7 device forums saying that it is not. The Curve seems to be the worst.

2. Camera:
    This might sound stupid, but I would really like my new BB to have a camera with autofocus and the ability to shoot sharp close-up macro photos. As much as I love the keyboard, the bigger brighter touch screen, and the overall look, the camera is not cutting it for me.

3. NFC:
    The Bold and the Curve have NFC and the Torch 9850 does not. There's not much available now that uses NFC, but it's technology that I need to consider if I'm getting a phone on contract for 2 years.

4. Keyboard:
    The Bold's keyboard is very nice. The Curve's keyboard is smaller but usable and, frankly, I like the keyboard on my 9650 better. I've gotten so used to all of the BB keyboard shortcuts, that I think I'd feel lost with the 9850. I like being able to do a keyboard hard reset of the phone instead of pulling it out of it's case to pull the battery every time. Some say that the 9930 would be the way to go because of the remote control feature and the nice keyboard. IMHO, as nice as the keyboard is, there is nothing (to me) that beats a standard computer-like keyboard for pounding away on documents. Personally, I see using the remote feature for navigation while my Playbook is connected to a TV. But for a keyboard replacement for the purposes of longer typing experiences, I'm liking the idea of the BB bluetooth keyboard case.

5. International:
    I like that the 9930 and 9850 are international and have SIM slots for using with international carriers. The Curve lacks this.

Conclusion:
    Unfortunately, it seems that the best device for my purposes would be the 9790 which, unfortunately will not likely surface on Sprint. If the 9930 was perhaps a few milimeters thicker and came with autofocus/macro focus, I might own one. The 9850 seems to be the closest match for me if I can get over the loss of keyboard shortcuts and the battery life. The Curve, I think, would be a step backwards for me.

Couple this with the fact that in 6 to 9 months, the first BB10 phone will be arriving (supposedly and hopefully). I'm probably better off waiting for the kinks to be ironed out before diving in (especially if it's going to be my primary device), but not another year or year and a half (until my next upgrade would come).

This leaves me with the option of buying off-contract for now and then using my contract discount for the new BB10 phones (which I'm sure will carry a higher on-contract price than any BB we've seen to date).

I've been leaning toward the Torch 9850 figuring that I should start to get used to a 'soft' keyboard since that's the direction devices are headed today. And, with the bluetooth keyboard, I'd still be able to work on longer documents (although I can't count on having a phone, Playbook, and keyboard with me at all times).

I'm waiting to see what the new bridge associated with 2.0 does to affect performance on my 9650 and what functionality I'm excluded from based on running the OS6 version of the bridge. If it becomes too awkward, I'll go with a 9850.

If RIM had seen fit to make a camera worthy of the quality of the rest of the Bold 99xx, and a battery that provides similar life to my 9650, I'd have purchased one when it launched. If there was a CDMA version of the 9790 right now, I'd probably own that one.
    Spencerdl and Willard814 like this.
    01-31-12 12:08 PM
    This has been a question for me for quite some time now. I have a 9650 that I love, but I'm not sure how much new bridge functionality will be left out of the OS6 version moving forward.

If RIM had seen fit to make a camera worthy of the quality of the rest of the Bold 99xx, and a battery that provides similar life to my 9650, I'd have purchased one when it launched. If there was a CDMA version of the 9790 right now, I'd probably own that one.
    Good summary of why I'm still on my 9650/Bold with Verizon. As someone who's phone is already wrapped in an Otterbox, I really did not need to sacrifice camera/battery for a slimmer phone. I guess sometimes STYLE does overrule substance or form over function. But it definitely slowed down any rush/need to get a newer phone. I've been entitled for a while now but have stalled. What's even more interesting - I'm still on OS 5.x since I do not want to give up Column View in the Browser.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-31-12 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD