Do you have android apps side loaded?

Did you do a security wipe at some point and test?

Do you have a ton of android apps installed, side loaded or other wise?

I have 3 playbooks and all are rock solid. I use the 16gig as a test bed for side loading to make sure they don't suck or break things before I install them on my 64 and the wifes 32gig.

Pandora and Kindle are the main apps I use and I have no issue. To take it a step further, the wireless issues I used to have with dropped conectivity have disapeared.

The 16gig has been security wiped twice. Once to remove beta 2.0 and once when I sideloaded an android email app that I could not remove. Hope this helps.
    OK, I don't buy the "security wipe" is necessary thing. It should not be, if RIM implemented things correctly. It was a thing in the past in OS 2.0 beta days when Android apps won't work, it was the only solution. As long as stable Android apps work, you should not need it.

It is a big pain to have security wipe done and restore, and reinstall everything. If it is required, RIM would tell you to do so.

Anyway, I do believe Android apps are the ones causing many of the problems, but funny enough the most stable Android app I have is Kindle which is side loaded. Ones from App World is not guaranteed to be better than ones side loaded. There were ones that wouldn't work at all that I got from App World.

However, side loading opens up a door to many problems. Those Android apps I downloaded from goodereader site, many of them simply won't work. You can't have a convincing user experience in a state like this, and RIM should do something about this - probably better to disable side loading capability..
    03-07-12 12:09 PM
    When people speak of "patches" to fix the OS. How often do these "software updates" appear for us? Should we expect something within the next 3 months? Or would these "patches" come something like 6 months from now?
    Last edited by Mr_Figaro; 03-07-12 at 12:25 PM.
    03-07-12 12:14 PM
    I'm having some of the same types of issues as described in this thread. Nothing that is a show-stopper by any means but an annoyance nonetheless. RIM should really be releasing a patch for these issues sooner than later.
    03-07-12 12:48 PM
    I now find myself removing any Android app that I install on my playbook for two reasons.

1: I find the battery drain gets elevated when they are installed (not sure, but it feels like even when closed, that background resources are still being used).

2: I find the quality of those apps to be unappealing anyway. I have not found any android app that so far convinced me otherwise.
    03-07-12 12:50 PM
    Not having any issues with mine. I upgraded from OS2 BETA and have one Android app downloaded from App World.
    03-07-12 12:56 PM
    When people speak of "patches" to fix the OS. How often do these "software updates" appear for us? Should we expect something within the next 3 months? Or would these "patches" come something like 6 months from now?
    At one point when first released, there were some regular updates. Then an update that allowed smaller incremental updates and then they stopped as rim moved ahead with OS2. Presumably updates will be more routines - we hope! There are already a few bugs which have to be addressed including Native Email setting implicated in Battery Drain. (fingers crossed)
    03-07-12 07:34 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD