Hello fellow Crackbook users!

I have a 16gb Playbook and i thought it would be cool to hook it up to my 32" LCDTV. I bought the Micro-HDMI cable, brought it home, plugged it in and the image is tiled in the center of my TV (Approx 18" across the center). I went to settings on the Playbook and pressed HDMI. My Aspect Ratio is on Normal 1:1, it says Connected to GSA-1-16843009-2010-1 when it probably should be 32LCD400 or something along those lines (normally shows up as the name of my display when hooked up to my computers on VGA and HDMI), Display mode 1920x1080p@60hz.

When i look at the TVs info, it shows it's running in 1080p, but the image isn't full screen. I tried setting the Aspect Ratio to full on the device, but it doesn't come out sharp. I was watching a video which seemed to be a Crackberry one ( ) talking about Presenter mode and the guy had it plugged into an LCD, full screen on Normal 1:1 Aspect Ratio.

Also, i noticed when i go into Presenter mode to watch a video, it expands it to fill the screen, but once I exit that video, it goes back to the tiled screen in the middle of my LCD.

Is there something i'm missing?
    dadymon likes this.
    05-22-11 09:44 PM
    The PlayBook's resolution is 1024x600, so when you set the aspect ratio to 1:1, it displays a 1024x600 mirror of your PlayBook screen in the center of your 1920x1080 tv screen. Set your aspect ratio to "Fill" rather than "Normal 1:1" and enjoy.

Edit: Just checked out the video and noticed Kevin had it set to 1:1 in 720p. Just tried that on my 32" 1080p tv and it filled a 1280x720 box. His tv must be 720p.
    Last edited by kbill1984; 05-22-11 at 10:42 PM.
    05-22-11 10:35 PM
    So how can he have a fullscreen @ 1:1 normal on a 720p tv running 1280x720, but with a 1080p tv, i can't have fullscreen running 1:1 normal in 1920x1080p? The FILL aspect ratio is nice, but it cuts off the edges and doesn't come out as sharp as i'd expect it. If i run presenter mode using for example the demo video that it comes with, that comes out fullscreen and looks beautiful without having to change aspect ratio...
    05-23-11 07:29 PM
    This is the proverbial "fitting square peg in a round hole" conundrum. It canNOT be done. If the ratio of the PB is x-by-y, then only exact ratios can be either enlarged or shrunk on another display or you will have distortions. To see everything you must maintain the ratio and provide filler either along the side or the top/bottom edges. Unless I'm missing something basic.
    05-23-11 08:03 PM
    I know that on my PlayBook, when watching the demo and not connected to HDMI, I have a thin black bar along the top and bottom of the screen. The bars show up on my tv when I mirror my PlayBook in FILL mode. If I go to Presentation mode in Normal 1:1 and FILL, it fills the screen completely. The bars are only present when watching the demo. If I am on the home screen in FILL, the picture perfectly fills my tv. Aside from the black bars along the top and bottom when mirrored and being vertically stretched slightly in presentation mode, I see no difference in picture quality between Normal 1:1 presentation mode, FILL presentation mode or FILL mirrored. When reading the forums on my tv, from a normal viewing distance, everything, including text, is displayed as beautifully as it is on my PlayBook.
    Last edited by kbill1984; 05-23-11 at 08:30 PM.
    05-23-11 08:26 PM
    Well I guess there's nothing I can do. I would expect a 1:1 @ 1080p would fill a 1080p tv screen perfectly with upscaling instead of having to use the fill and having the time cut in half... I guess I'll live with it. Definitely not what I was expecting out of the device...

Thanks a bunch!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-11 09:06 PM
    use "stretch" that fills the screen, but it depends on what you're watching and what kind of TV you have because to make the playbook OS fullscreen on the tv i had to lower the resolution to 720p and use 1:1 - kind of annoying but whatever.
    05-23-11 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD