Wretch64 may I ask why you "xxxx" your app name that is up for sale in app world?

This is the second "I didn't get my free playbook" complaint thread tonight without the poster being forthcoming about what their app is. If it is a quality app would you not want to promote it? It's appalling some of the crap RIM qualifies as apps, like glorified PDF players for ripped off literature.

Nope, haven't got the 'first steps' email yet, but I have got:

I posted it "up for sale" on App World.

Sorry if it seems I'm being rude, or obnoxious, I just really want the free playbook, and want to know whether it's worth continuing to develop my app.
    03-26-12 09:16 PM
    Wretch64 may I ask why you "xxxx" your app name that is up for sale in app world?

This is the second "I didn't get my free playbook" complaint thread tonight without the poster being forthcoming about what their app is. If it is a quality app would you not want to promote it? It's appalling some of the crap RIM qualifies as apps, like glorified PDF players for ripped off literature.
    I have already stated that the application is a little dull.

If I manage to get my free playbook, then I'm going to spend a lot more time working on it - I just need the incentive to do so. In fact, playbook/BB10 will the the primary platform for development of any applications I make as I'll take the time to fully learn the API.

I have hundreds of ideas I've saved up over the years but haven't actually coded in to an app.

The application still meets the requirements, despite the fact that I think it's a little dull - it all works and looks alright. I'd also rather try advertise it under better circumstances, considering you can only really make a first impression once.

My application is definitely targets a niche market though.
    03-27-12 01:15 AM
    I'm glad its arrived hes been driving me mad while hes been waiting for it.
    Speaks volumes of your parenting skills methinks. I would put it away in the closet and not tell him it arrived until he exhibits some maturity. But that is just wicked, evil me.
    03-27-12 04:50 AM
    I have already stated that the application is a little dull. If I manage to get my free playbook, then I'm going to spend a lot more time working on it - I just need the incentive to do so.
    A free BlackBerry PlayBook was not sufficient incentive to develop a high-quality or even medium-quality application as your initial effort? Nobody expects the perfect, feature-complete application on first release, particularly for free applications, however, if you refer to it as dull then what makes you think there is a market for the application? By telling us the name we can at least checkout the application and/or its description and assess whether it currently does or potentially might in the future fill a perceived need.
    03-27-12 04:55 AM
    A free BlackBerry PlayBook was not sufficient incentive to develop a high-quality or even medium-quality application as your initial effort? Nobody expects the perfect, feature-complete application on first release, particularly for free applications, however, if you refer to it as dull then what makes you think there is a market for the application? By telling us the name we can at least checkout the application and/or its description and assess whether it currently does or potentially might in the future fill a perceived need.
    The sole fact that there's an element of uncertainty put me off spending lots of time on working on something I risk not getting approved.

I refer to it as dull because I consider myself to be a perfectionist when I apply myself, it's extremely dull in comparison to me putting in my best efforts, but it's not an extremely simple ripped PDF reader or anything along those lines. It's definitely a useful application and I'm sure many people will enjoy using it if I get around to completing it.

And, another reason is the timeframe. I have plenty of free time over the next few months, just not now or during the timeframe for developing the app.
    03-27-12 06:08 AM
    Just got my shipping notice letter today:

The wait and anticipation is nearly over. We shipped your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet today and you will be receiving it shortly. We suspect that you will be delighted and impressed by the design, features, and capabilities of this professional-grade tablet and that it will inspire fresh ideas for app development.

We encourage you to stay active and submit new applications to BlackBerry App World as often as you would like, and to also take part in the forums and communities where BlackBerry PlayBook tablet technical issues are discussed and problems resolved.

The tracking number for this shipment is as follows:
    03-27-12 12:02 PM
    Just got my shipping notice letter today:

The wait and anticipation is nearly over. We shipped your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet today and you will be receiving it shortly. We suspect that you will be delighted and impressed by the design, features, and capabilities of this professional-grade tablet and that it will inspire fresh ideas for app development.

We encourage you to stay active and submit new applications to BlackBerry App World as often as you would like, and to also take part in the forums and communities where BlackBerry PlayBook tablet technical issues are discussed and problems resolved.

Congrats :P

When did you get the email asking for your shipping details?
    03-27-12 12:21 PM
    Congrats :P

When did you get the email asking for your shipping details?
    LOL, see Page 1 of this thread. Yours will be coming soon I'm sure!
    03-27-12 02:33 PM
    I did, but you said "over 10 days", so I'm not entirely sure when. Would you say roughly it took 14 days though?
    03-27-12 02:42 PM
    Well, let's see if it was over 10 days on the 23rd of March when I posted and today is the 27th of March, so yeah about 14, maybe 15 days from when I gave them my shipping address until I got an email with the tracking information today. Now, how long until it shows up in the FedEx system, then how long until I receive it?

Edit: FedEx now shows it shipped today and I will receive it on Thursday. I will update this post when it arrives.

Edit: Arrived at noon today, Wednesday, March 28th.
    Last edited by mikeplus1; 03-28-12 at 03:52 PM.
    03-27-12 04:51 PM
    Brilliant! Just got the email too.

Blackberry Playbook
    [url]
    If it's of any use to anyone, here's a rough timeline:

February 6th - Applied to become an app. vendor
    February 10th - Approved as a vendor
    February 29th - Submitted application for approval
    March 13th - App approved
    March 16th - Confirmation of eligibility for a free playbook
    March 16th (a few hours later) - Processed shipping details
    March 27th - Playbook is being shipped and shipping details received (the details aren't available on the courier's tracker yet though)
    Last edited by Wretch 64; 03-28-12 at 12:47 PM.
    03-28-12 12:41 PM
    Mine arrived at noon today, one day earlier than the original tracking information said it would. It came FedEx Ground Home Delivery from Marion, OH through Cincinnati, OH and Munster, IN to Chicago, IL, shipped March 27th, arrived March 28th.
    03-28-12 01:31 PM
    I received my free PlayBook early last week. It'll be the third PlayBook in my possession - think I'll sell it sealed.
    03-28-12 02:28 PM
    Got it

03-30-12 08:57 AM
    Well congrats! Now plug in your wall charger, get rid of that ugly protective screen film, update your software and start working that baby!
    03-30-12 09:01 AM
    last monday I got my confirmation and that I should get shipping notification in next 72 hours. Week passes and I email them asking for a status update. Next day I got the shipping notification. Supposedly should be here tomorrow
    03-30-12 10:36 AM
    congrats!!!
    03-30-12 02:47 PM
    I just want to say CONGRATS to you developers and hope you stick with PB/BB10 and make some, as has been mentioned, truly epic apps.

That was me being nice. The part where I say "lucky b@5t@rd5" comes next. Seriously though, great job and keep 'em coming!
    03-30-12 04:12 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD