I have a theory that the frame is not touch sensitive but is rather some clever programming. In order to simulate a touch sensitive border you only have to see what a circular area looks like as it enters the screen area.

If the digitizer sees a few pixels come in from the edge and form a circular area, it can then assume it originated from the frame and is therefore a frame gesture and react as such. I dont know how to prove it but I suspect this is what they are doing. Therefore, forget about a frame scrolling feature.
    05-01-11 08:50 AM
    I have a theory that the frame is not touch sensitive but is rather some clever programming. In order to simulate a touch sensitive border you only have to see what a circular area looks like as it enters the screen area.

If the digitizer sees a few pixels come in from the edge and form a circular area, it can then assume it originated from the frame and is therefore a frame gesture and react as such. I dont know how to prove it but I suspect this is what they are doing. Therefore, forget about a frame scrolling feature.
    That's quite a theory you have, and I could see how you believe it to be possible. I believe that could be true too, but as you said, I don't know how to prove it. Unless they do add a frame scrolling feature, then we know you were wrong. It would be interesting to find out exactly how they might a touchable bezel.
    05-01-11 08:53 AM
    what i tried doing was take a thick piece of cardboard to cover up the bezel. try it, at first i thought it was just programming like you said but im starting to believe the bezel is touch sensitive.
    05-01-11 09:36 AM
    i remember reading somewhere that its only the first line of pixels that determine when a swipe happens and which direction based on some patent rim filed. but who knows, it makes sense, i guess. of course i was really looking forward to seeing what new gestures come out in the future. if the above is true, it would be kinda limited
    05-01-11 01:02 PM
    The frame is touch sensitive. Start scrolling down a website and diagonally run your finger into the border. You can still scroll up and down just as long as you don't pick up your finger. It only works half way into the border though. It would be a nice enhancement to be able to scroll through a site using the border.
    05-01-11 02:40 PM
    Cool! It is definitely touch sensitive. Even on the sides, you can take your finger off by about half of the border and it will still scroll.

As I said, it was a theory that I had and am glad to be proved wrong.

The frame is touch sensitive. Start scrolling down a website and diagonally run your finger into the border. You can still scroll up and down just as long as you don't pick up your finger. It only works half way into the border though. It would be a nice enhancement to be able to scroll through a site using the border.
    05-01-11 02:45 PM
    The frame is touch sensitive. Start scrolling down a website and diagonally run your finger into the border...
    Yeah, this works!
    I'm really looking forward to more gestures that use the bezel.
    05-01-11 02:53 PM
    The other thing you can do is press your thumb against the bezel about 1 millimeter from the screen and try scrolling on a webpage. It won't move. Lift your thumb and try to scroll again and it will work no problem. I found this out when I thought I broke my browser.
    05-01-11 03:12 PM
    Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here. I wanted to really figure out if it was or not, and I can tell some people have figure out that it is. But how I figured it out was just on the homescreen. Just keep your finger on the screen, and scroll over to the bezel, even on the bezel, and not the screen it still holds as I'm still touching it. If I keep moving over, it then stops because it reachs the non-touch part of the bezel. I really hope they implement some scrolling feature with this for webpages and such.
    05-06-11 09:12 AM
    Yes, being able to use the bezel to scroll a web page or within a document would be a much welcomed addition. Anybody knows if there is a link to pass suggestion to RIM? Kevin, since you seem to have contacts within RIM, may be worth mentioning to them about this little 'addition'...
    05-07-11 12:01 AM

You are misusing the word 'theory.' What you have is a hypothesis, not a theory.
    05-07-11 12:24 AM
    Yes, being able to use the bezel to scroll a web page or within a document would be a much welcomed addition. Anybody knows if there is a link to pass suggestion to RIM? Kevin, since you seem to have contacts within RIM, may be worth mentioning to them about this little 'addition'...
    Maybe the delay is because Apple owns the patent on bezel gestures

The patents do not mention the PlayBook's current gestures, but using the bezel to scroll would probably result in a lawsuit.

I'm guessing that RIM is waiting for Apple to infringe on a bunch of their patents before doing the patent money dance.
    05-07-11 12:42 AM
    The point is probably moot now, but wasn�t this post disproven before it was even posted? In NFS do you not press the frame or bezel to accelerate? I haven�t played the game much but that�s what I understood. Or maybe that�s the reason I suck at the game.
    05-07-11 08:27 AM
    The point is probably moot now, but wasn�t this post disproven before it was even posted? In NFS do you not press the frame or bezel to accelerate? I haven�t played the game much but that�s what I understood. Or maybe that�s the reason I suck at the game.
    In NFS you are always accelerating. Don't have to do anything to go, just for everything else.
    05-07-11 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD