Let's get the apparent formalities out of the way: Long time lurker, first time poster, yadda yadda.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TL;DR: old Playbook in a coma. Do I pull the plug, or do I stick with it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Like the title says, I recently found what seems to be a first-gen Playbook, in a 32GB flavor, in my brother's old closet.

I was hoping to use it as a media center, but unfortunately, it seems like the battery's dead. No problem-o, man; this thing was stuck in a drawer for at least six months, and the batery is probably dead, anyway. Fine. You see, when plugged into a charger, the notification flashes red for about twenty seconds

, then blinks both green and red five times, each "blink" lasting about a second.

Otherwise, it is completely aloof to my repetitive pressing of the power button. I tried formatting and restoring it using the BB desktop app

on my windows machine, and the green notification light does flash

during the formatting process, but it is otherwise unresponsive. The power button does nothing, i.e, the screen does not turn on. Connecting it to the BB Desktop app results in this series of alerts:

To be honest, I don't really care about the files inside, since my brother hasn't used this in, like, a year, and has since forgotten about it. I'll upgrade anyway, because I hear PBOS 2.0 gives me the ability to sideload android apps, so it's a win-win situation anyway.

Here's where I kind of hit a wall: I don't really know if the device is actually turned off, or something worse, since the screen either doesn't work [i hope it does], or it doesn't turn on for some other reason. I just press the power button like I'm told to and the message goes away. Go figure.
    Up next, I'm taken to the download screen

and I wait for the download to finish. While it's downloading and installing the software, the LED on the Playbook is still glowing green. However, when it gets to the second part of the process, the Reboot,

The process gets hung up and the PB refuses to cooperate. the LED is no longer on, and the program refuses to continue. After a few minutes, I get this alert:

But I can't input any passcode, because the Playbook is not playing ball!
    Now, is it possible to use the dingleberry tool on it so that I can gain root access, or am I screwed out of what, at first glance, seems to be a perfectly good Playbook?
    Thanks in advance, guys!
    12-01-13 10:40 PM
    Who did you steal it from?

Q10 running10.2.1.1055 leak and loving it!
    12-01-13 10:42 PM
    Who did you steal it from?
    Define steal.....
    Actually, it used to be my brother's, but now that he's away at college, and already has an iPad to work with, I thought that I was perfectly justified in taking it.
    anon(1852343) and Carl Estes like this.
    12-01-13 10:53 PM
    Do a search here on "stack charge". You can probably bring it back to life.
    Carl Estes and m1kr0 like this.
    12-01-13 11:17 PM
    use the oem charger (the one with the yellow end) and charge it like for a day, it will start
    12-02-13 09:48 AM
    I dunno. Looking at your second picture, the first port from the left is USB, then HDMI, then magnetic coupling. Looks like the USB port is empty and the USB plug is in the HDMI?
    That is not correct on the BB Playbook the first port is HDMI second is USB. Please don't check your response before giving people more issues than what they started out with.
    12-02-13 09:53 AM
    It looks like you are using a USB cable to charge it, not a PlayBook charger. You will need to find the proper charger and give it some time to charge. If that doesn't work, try the stack charging instructions.

A proper charger will be 1.8amp or more. The phone chargers or iDevice chargers or charging through a USB port of a PC will not do the job.
    12-02-13 10:01 AM
    That is not correct on the BB Playbook the first port is HDMI second is USB. Please don't check your response before giving people more issues than what they started out with.
    Sorry, well I don't use the USB (rapid charger) and I got confused and it looked like a miniUSB on another device I have. Not awake yet I guess. Post deleted.
    12-02-13 10:07 AM
    Please DO check, you mean.
    12-02-13 11:05 AM
    Please DO check, you mean.
    Haha. I DID check but I still thought HDMI was USB (mini not micro) for some stupid reason. Just like to forget about the whole thing...
    12-02-13 03:52 PM
    Sorry, well I don't use the USB (rapid charger) and I got confused and it looked like a miniUSB on another device I have. Not awake yet I guess. Post deleted.
    No worries, it was early in the am perhaps I was a bit blunt. Apologizes no harm intended.

Posted via CB10
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    12-02-13 05:46 PM
    As said above do a search for stack charging. Should do the trick. But not with an usb cable but with the original charger.

Instagram: delil1982
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-02-13 05:52 PM