Ever since I updated to the last 2.1 beta, and now even to the full public release, I am unable to use the forward facing camera. An error message stating this camera is being used by another application displays but there are no other apps running.

I have done a full security wipe twice now since 2.1, but still I cannot use this camera. Rear works great.... any ideas?
    10-03-12 05:09 PM
    No ideas besides a debrick, and then calling RIM for support if that doesn't work. Link for the debrick procedure is on the signature. I'm sure another member will tell you how to contact RIM by phone anytime now.

Good luck!
    10-03-12 05:48 PM
    Just noticed this too after the public release. Used videochat last night with 2.0 and after 2.1 update this morning and reading this post I tested it. No error messages but it's been loading forever. Reboot didn't help.
    10-03-12 10:26 PM
    I just tried this and both cameras are working just fine on mine, but I never loaded the beta on mine. I updated from 2.01 to 2.1. Was this fault something that was common with the beta version?
    10-03-12 10:31 PM
    I just tried this and both cameras are working just fine on mine, but I never loaded the beta on mine. I updated from 2.01 to 2.1. Was this fault something that was common with the beta version?
    No idea. Never loaded the beta. Went straight official from 2.01 to 2.1. 3 reboots after still forever loading for the ffc, rear cam works though. Too bad the updates are working great except for the ffc.
    10-03-12 10:39 PM
    My 64GB PlayBook front n back camera stopped working when I installed the official OS2.0. Send back to RIM n they can't do anything about it so they issued me a new replacement set.
    10-03-12 10:46 PM
    Both cameras worked pre and post 2.1 installation.
    10-03-12 10:51 PM
    Okay so now when I switch from the camera app to use the ffc it works just fine, takes pictures and video. The Videochat app seems to be the one affected.
    10-03-12 11:22 PM
    I was on the beta and both cameras worked and they continue to work on this new OS. Did not try the video camera.
    10-03-12 11:30 PM
    I tried some quick tests with other apps that have access to the ffc:

Native:
    Video Chat - loads forever
    Camera app - loads, shoots and records
    SFH Video chat - loads, shoots and broadcasts (downloaded it for testing, seemed like a real creep magnet... Lol)

Android:
    Skype beta - doesn't sign in, no error message (not sure if it could access the camera even now with 2.1. Signs is and loads without issues in 2.01)

Will wipe when I find the time. Issues point to software/app access, hardware works just fine.
    10-03-12 11:59 PM
    Ever since I updated to the last 2.1 beta, and now even to the full public release, I am unable to use the forward facing camera. An error message stating this camera is being used by another application displays but there are no other apps running.

I have done a full security wipe twice now since 2.1, but still I cannot use this camera. Rear works great.... any ideas?

This same thing is happening to me. I really hope someone has an answer to this.
    10-07-12 04:44 PM
    You might try using the android camera app to see if that works. I posted a "how to" in this thread- http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-748589/ It might help you narrow down whether the problem is software or hardware related.
    10-07-12 05:03 PM
    Both my cameras work fine. I upgraded from 2.0 to the release 2.1.

I tried the camera app, video chat and the android app.
    10-07-12 05:31 PM
    updated from 2.1.0.840 to the official 2.1.
    just tried the camera app the first time and guess what. it just stays black. not working at all ( back and front) but no message.
    reboot didnt fix this either.

android crashes right away when accessing the camera.

both worked fine with the old beta, i was on a trip for 2 weeks and used both cameras every day.

guess i have to wipe again, i cant understand why we have so many problems with the update. some have this one others have that.
    10-07-12 06:04 PM
    This happened to me (and a lot of others) when we upgraded to .668. Pretty much everyone who posted about this problem, and there have been many, many threads has had to send their Playbooks to RIM for repair. It's a common issue.
    10-07-12 06:45 PM
    This happened to me (and a lot of others) when we upgraded to .668. Pretty much everyone who posted about this problem, and there have been many, many threads has had to send their Playbooks to RIM for repair. It's a common issue.
    so updating to official released os breaking built in hardware is a common issue? no wonder rim is going down.

well seriously, what is wrong with the pb that for some it works nice, others have some problems and for another group their device turns out to be not working any more.

guess i will have to wipe again...
    Last edited by Sonic-NKT; 10-07-12 at 07:15 PM.
    10-07-12 06:50 PM
    so updating to official released os breaking built in hardware? no wonder rim is going down.

well seriously, what is wrong with the pb that for some it works nice, others have some problems and for another group their device turns out to be not working any more.

Check out this thread. There was a good discussion going on about this. Gives a little perspective.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...pdates-748576/
    guess i will have to wipe again...
    10-07-12 07:06 PM
    mine works fine. someone else made a thread about an "error 4003" or something regarding their camera. you may want to check it out if that is the message you are getting.
    10-07-12 08:12 PM
    Update :

After debricking, I still am unable to use forward facing camera for video chat....uhmmm....my physical volume rockers have also not worked in ages, but that must be hardware....
    11-23-12 12:29 PM
    Update :

After debricking, I still am unable to use forward facing camera for video chat....uhmmm....my physical volume rockers have also not worked in ages, but that must be hardware....
    The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    11-23-12 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD