There is a chance that a hack will become available that will let you install the Amazon Fire OS on the Playbook that would bring more features, an app ecosystem and improved user experience to the Playbook.
    12-22-11 05:04 PM
    If consumers go by rumors and speculations, they will never buy anything.

The tablets, unlike laptops and PC, are disposable devices. In the same category as phones and mp3 players. They are meant to serve its purpose for a couple of years then replace with the next thing.
    Besides the early adopters, it always amazes me that people are willing to spend over $500 for these types of devices.

If the PB meet your current needs and for the next year, then you are save to keep it. If you expect PB1 to last 4-5 years like a laptop, then you might want to rethink your purchase.
    12-22-11 05:10 PM
    Geeez I need a sarsaparilla...
    Everytime I hear the word sarsaparilla (and I never hear it), I think of the Dude. The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners.

(just saw the movie again yesterday on Netflix...wonder if the Dude would ever use a PB...)
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-22-11 05:23 PM
    RIM is primarily a Cellular company.

Amazon is just now branching out to tablets.

You have to remember that to all of the other companies, cellphones and tablets only account for a fraction of their revenue.
    Whatever Rim makes money from it doesn't change the fact that the share price is $14 and you only need about $8 billion to buy them out... a bargain.

Amazon isn't just in to tablets to make money from tablets, it is in it to sell books. They are Kindle book readers first and foremost with huge deals such as sole distribution of DC comice and many other magazines and newspapers.

Amazon have fingers in loads of pots and have buying power RIM simply do not have.

As for the Canadian government protecting them... it wont happen. I will eat my hat if a buyout is blocked.
    12-22-11 05:27 PM
    i have a serious doubt about this thread.
    to me i think this sounds like a big scam.
    yahoo running bad articles about rim.
    ask urself why is the playbook making so much noise.
    a cie like rim wont get bought. they will survive.
    they just lack paying attention to their costumers.a very stuborn cie.
    if they do get bought.
    the pb will stay. maybe well get more app developpers.
    but my pb does it all already.
    12-22-11 05:48 PM
    Articles to confirm the story...

the Guardian, a British broadsheet newspaper.
    RIM rejects Amazon's takeover offer | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    12-22-11 06:04 PM
    12-22-11 07:05 PM
    Wow they come out of the woodwork.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-22-11 07:10 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD