Like Tree23Likes
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,869 Global Posts
    PIN
    "Psychopomps"
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Forgive me but!!!!

At the risk of upsetting some of the ardent single minded enthusiastic pb users on here, I would just like someone to provide a simple realistic answer to one question based around the simple fact that we all own (x) number of playbooks.

"HAVING DECIDED TO PURCHASE A BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK" then why do I read so many posts about:
    1. The lack of Android apps for the pb.
    2. How do I download android apps on the pb.
    3. Why do my side loaded android apps not work correctly.

Either I am missing something here or when I bought my BlackBerry pb, I was actually hoping that it was really a Samsung 10.1 tab that could run bb apps?

I have two android tabs that I don't try to run bb apps on and six pb's that I don't expect to run android apps!

Solution: don't buy a BMW M5 and then ask or complain that it won't drive smoothly at 25mph in fourth gear, or buy a Nissan Micra and ask or complain that it won't drive at 185mph in whatever gear you put it in!

Am I being too simplistic here?

(sent from me, using the Internet, using my fingers and with absolutely no participation from my brain)
    shrinkbbuser and Scotter75 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Default Re: Forgive me but!!!!

Got that off your chest? Good.

One reason why there are so many threads about Android apps is that for people like me the Android player was a major factor in deciding to go with the PB. The idea was, get a solid, secure BB device that can tap into the massive Android Market. The PB is a better device then the vast majority of Android tabs that were available at the time (although that's changed dramatically).

The other reason is that the BB App World has not lived up to expectation. It was hoped that at some point there would be a major influx of great native apps. Sadly it never happened. There are some excellent native apps of course, but nothing like what people hoped for. In the end, App World has been a tremendous disappointment. That makes the Android player even more important, because RIM has failed utterly to support this device. So a lot of users get what they can from Android to try and get some more functionality for our devices.

Am I being simplistic enough here?
    bdguru, adi_vastava and kboya like this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

You are forgiven. However I think a lot of the questions from us newbies arise from our own lack of knowledge on purchasing the Playbook. To most of us, well me actually, we recently puchased the Playbook as a bargain, thinking that a tablet is a tablet. Not realising that the Playbook is a totally different thing. It is in a class of its own as an operating system, but we expected it to have the same facilities as the other tablets. We do not have knowledge of Blackberry phones and it comes as a bit of a shock to realise that they are from the same company. We know it is a Blackberry, but we are thinking 'tablet'. Android = tablet. Tablet = android apps. So we are bemused by not having what we expect. Lots of apps that we will never use anyway. There are a few that we find suprising in their absence. Skype, mostly. Although I have found a programme that works through the browser called 'faceflow' that is better than skype as it can offer conference on video via all o/s.

So please bare with us and forgive our gripes. We are learning. We may never be Blackberry phone owners, but we are 'Blackberry' owners.

Regards
    Thanked by 3:
    BB_Bmore (11-10-2012),  bdguru (11-10-2012),  Hgouck (11-21-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

I am an owner of a playbook (and of a Nissan Micra).

when it comes to bashing the pb/rim I have personlly done my fair bit, but I consider it an absolutely healthy behaviour (where would this world have been if we weren't complaining about ...well...everything).

So to answer your question, I personally complain because I know what my PB (and RIM) is cable of. RIM has proved itself in the past and I am sure it can do it in the future.

And to use your example, you buy a Ferrarri only to realise it cannot speed more than 70mph. You know it can do three times as this...and then before you know it you are in the Ferrari forums (Crackrrari??) and you start voicing your frustration.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just Pin It.

First off I'm not an Android fan because in PB OS 1.x the Android player was a wreck and a very negative experience. Then in 2.0 it wasn't much better and by then the press was full of Android device and apps horror stories. Also RIM gave free 16g PBs to anyone porting any crappy Android app to the PB, all of which soured a lot of us on any form of Android period.

Now comes PB OS 2.1 and the Android player is much better behaved and will multi-task. Also some serious Android ports have hit App World that are worth installing and using that do not duplicate existing native apps.

So, now, why not have a solid OS, and a secure platform that runs both native and non duplicating Android apps?

Why not have that BMW with a Porsche transmission if it works better than either car by itself?

BTW I'm still not head over heels for Android but as the Android integration continues to improve it gets more difficult to ignore.
    To resist the influence of others the knowledge of oneself is of most importance.

Teal'c on Stargate SG-1 Season 9 Episode 14
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

I did buy the PB for the tech specs and QNX and in memory of Amiga, but I also want to do stuff. Android apps, like Kindle, let me. I WISH they were native. But since not, then I want them to be plentiful, cheap, well-behaved, and well known to other PB owners who want to get stuff done.
    Last edited by jventola; 11-10-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

Like I've often said in the forums, research research research! I personally have a habit of researching everything before I purchase no matter the cost. I bought a 64 and 16 for the same price I bought my first 16gb. No regrets till now because I knew what I wanted, and also knew too much about the pb's apparent deficiencies, after all there's always been plenty of bashing, but still I reckoned this was what I needed and the missing stuff wouldn't be missed. So really some of those "ardent single minded enthusiastic pb users" are just people that have exactly what they want.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.
    C. S. Lewis (Mat 6:33)
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I purchased my playbook, thinking wrongfully that it can help me to cook my books with my playstation.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,869 Global Posts
    PIN
    "Psychopomps"
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Agreed all round but I now know that I am missing something. I bought my PlayBook because it was a blackberry product with no expectations of running android apps on it. After many frustrating moments with my pb (which in personal view is still the best hardware/tech spec tablet available) even though it is still nowhere near its full potential due to RIM'S ineptitude, I prefer my pb over my Samsung 10.1 tabs. My ferrari can still only legaly do 70mph in the UK and the micra can also do 70mph in the UK. Given that indisputable fact I don't know about anyone else but I know which one of the two I would rather use to travel at 70mph in! Get the idea!!!!
    Hgouck, NaijaBerry and oilgeo10 like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    5,793 Global Posts

Nothing to forgive, I think everyone buys a tablet for there own reasons, I bought mine because I like BlackBerry products, and had BB phones, bought my first 16g when they first came out and have seen it grow from there. Even with it's flaws pick up a 64g this past january and haven't put it down since but I am also one of those people that don't need Skype or Netflex. I like it for what it is and what it can be.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by sad_old_man View Post
    At the risk of upsetting some of the ardent single minded enthusiastic pb users on here, I would just like someone to provide a simple realistic answer to one question based around the simple fact that we all own (x) number of playbooks.

"HAVING DECIDED TO PURCHASE A BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK" then why do I read so many posts about:

Either I am missing something here or when I bought my BlackBerry pb, I was actually hoping that it was really a Samsung 10.1 tab that could run bb apps?

I have two android tabs that I don't try to run bb apps on and six pb's that I don't expect to run android apps!

Solution: don't buy a BMW M5 and then ask or complain that it won't drive smoothly at 25mph in fourth gear, or buy a Nissan Micra and ask or complain that it won't drive at 185mph in whatever gear you put it in!

(sent from me, using the Internet, using my fingers and with absolutely no participation from my brain)
    ROFLMAO. Accurate, incisive and hilarious. Thank you for making my evening.
    The usual suspects: 6710 7210 7130 8700 8800 8900 9000 9500 9700 9900 + PB64
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    Nothing to forgive, I think everyone buys a tablet for there own reasons,
    I bought mine with no real knowledge of what it or could not do and no clue that android apps were even an option. All I saw, was a 16Gb Playbook with RIM quality advertised for C$99! How could I pass that up? Problem was that I did for a few days and then there was no stock left But I did buy a 32GB for $149 that included a leather sleeve.

Now that I have it, I do find it a great ereader (Kobo and Book Reader for Epub & Kindle). But it is so much mre than that! I carry it with me (at times) as a way of picking up email and surfing for info (no smartphone!) And amazingly for me as a sailor, it works just great as a GPS enabled chart display/navigation device.

I have no idea if the few aps I use are native or Android - So long as they work, I am happy!

What I do hate, are those magazine articles that talk about tablets and only mention the iPad, Nexus and other tablets. Never even mention our wonderful Playbooks. It's almost like it doesn't exist. Too bad it was crippled on initial release - never recovered from that in the public eye.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

I bought the PlayBook because, at the low price it was at, it had enough value as a media player/video camera/web browser/email/Facebook/Twitter client/game machine. It does those things, but there is a lot more the hardware is capable of - no reason why it can't do audio and video editing, more sophisticated photo editing, mind mapping, outlining, etc. I don't see why anyone wouldn't welcome more software options, whether they are Android ports, new apps introduced with BB10, whatever.

I would settle for a decent podcatcher, and Android has a number of those.
    Podcaster, host of The DexterCast, an introcast for the Showtime series Dexter. Two of us have seen Dexter before, the other two are watching for the first time.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Say what you feel and don't ask for forgiveness.
    The reason is simply that RIM.....nevermind it isn't going to get better.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    333BF5D4

Forgive me but!!!!-img_00000031.jpg......I like my Playbook just the way it is.
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.
    CrackBerry Genius

The matter is simple, but you're only looking at this based on your expectations. It is great that you had no expectations in regards to this, but this feature was used BY RIM as a selling and marketing point.. They announced it, and after release, defended it. As a consequent, buyers have every right to have some expectations of it.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!

Default Forgive me but!!!!

Some folks have higher standards when paying $499 to $699 for a PB than those that paid less.

Some folks have owned one longer than you.

Some folks actually thought RIM would deliver on their promises over a year ago.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.2.1.2141
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526
    J.C. BlackBerry, What's your game?
    Thanked by:
    Bakamushi (11-12-2012) 
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

I am thinking of buying PB, I have been a BB user for several years now. And planning on being one of the first one to buy a BB10. But I have a few questions about the old vs new PB.

1) If I buy a PB now will it have the new QNX operating system on it? If not will I be able to upgrade to BB10 and the new OS?

2) Should I buy now or just wait a few months when the new OS system come out?

3) How good is the PB if I want to wait videos on it?
    Harold C.
    St. Peters, Mo 63376
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    It is great that you had no expectations in regards to this, but this feature was used BY RIM as a selling and marketing point.. They announced it, and after release, defended it. As a consequent, buyers have every right to have some expectations of it.
    The BlackBerry Android Player subsystem was a crutch for Research In Motion to cover-up the dearth of BlackBerry PlayBook applications throughout most of the life of this tablet. The situation has not improved much in the 18 months since launch on April 19, 2011. For the money I laid-out for the seven BlackBerry PlayBooks I expected more high-quality applications by now. I thank each of the developers of the few BlackBerry PlayBook applications which have been created and which I use on a regular basis. Please being these applications to BlackBerry OS 10. By the way, if people want Android applications, buy an Android tablet or smartphone.
    bdegrande likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PestPro View Post
    I am thinking of buying PB, I have been a BB user for several years now. And planning on being one of the first one to buy a BB10. But I have a few questions about the old vs new PB.

1) If I buy a PB now will it have the new QNX operating system on it? If not will I be able to upgrade to BB10 and the new OS?

2) Should I buy now or just wait a few months when the new OS system come out?

3) How good is the PB if I want to wait videos on it?
    1. The BlackBerry Tablet OS is already built on QNX and when BlackBerry OS 10 is released it will be available for the current generation of BlackBerry tablets. Nobody knows when BlackBerry OS 10 will come to the tablet, however.

2. You can buy a BlackBerry PlayBook today or in three months. The tablet is supposed to be upgradable to BlackBerry OS 10 when it is ported to the tablet. Nobody knows when BlackBerry OS 10 will come to the tablet, however.

3. The BlackBerry PlayBook has exception playback (audio and video) capability for movies in MPEG-4 and MKV formats. The high-definition screen and stereo speakers provide crisp clear playback, and when connected to a HDTV or HD monitor via HDMI you might forget that you are not in a theatre. Make some popcorn, dim the lights, and enjoy.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

To all potential buyers :

Before buying a playbook you have to do lenghty research to check that standard functions are supported. Like normal imap support, or download podcasts where you wish, or display folders...

And our world is so progressive and open-minded that you can't even complain when you find out how much it sucks.

Beware, soon the Ontario speech control police at your door-step.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    665 Global Posts
    PIN
    2805D8E9

Why not just get an iPad and be done with it ? ( Ok, here it comes... Mommie help !!!!!)
    Banned

To summarize, all you're saying is "Why do people want things I don't want"

Right?

Not sure the reasoning behind this post, to be honest. If you can get any extra mileage out of what you own, why not go for it?

I remember sideloading the Youversion Bible app on my PlayBook in the initial period when the app was not available on AppWorld. Many people requested this .bar file too...one of the best FREE bible apps on Android was possible to be run on the PlayBook via sideloading...and we're supposed to pass this up because according to you "why didn't you just buy Android instead"?

You ARE being too simplistic here.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    5028b323

We bought pb because quite simply we liked it , whether you like android apps or not the blackberry playbook for me will always be best in my opinion
    CrackBerry Newbie

I bought my PB knowing that software would be limited but at the price I didn't mind. It is very well put together with an amazing screen and a solid construction that suggests something much more expensive, but it lacks some features that I consider basic. There is no Kindle, no Skype, our office system runs very strangely to the point of being unusable (no difficulties with Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iPhone or Android phone), Google Calendar runs strangely on the browser and gives me an error message when I try to make an entry, the system settings will not accept my Google account, and there is no good world radio tuner. So it will be useful for a few things, but they will be limited. My Android smart phone will go with me everywhere, but not the PB.

BTW to those who dismiss the idea of loading Android OS on the PlayBook, I would like to say that while this is not possible, it is not unreasonable. I have two older Mac laptops and a Toshiba laptop that came with Windows on which I run Linux. I suspect a dual boot capability for the PB would be a big sales booster.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast