Tablet shootout: Motorola Xoom vs RIM PlayBook - International Business Times

According to this article, the playbook's battery life tested out at 6 hours vs. 10 for the motorola xoom. Other than the xoom's larger 10" screen, the hardware on both seem to be mirror images (so much for rim getting out a tablet that was ahead of the market; way to drag your feet again guys and show up late).

Keep in mind rim is still winner in the tethering department. We will still have an amplified blackberry where the competition won't have the same option. I am surprised, however, to hear xoom has a higher screen resolution; where was all the assurance from Balsillie that this device was going to stomp a mudhole in the competition?
    01-16-11 12:35 PM
    Still to Big

NOW if the xoom could pack all that into a 7" device, MAYBE I'd consider it
    01-16-11 12:51 PM
    I don't recall an 8GB Playbook option being announced except on that lame page that went under in a week that claimed to have hands on (mobiltiy insider or something). Other than that they are only comparing specs and experience on pre-release unit in the case of the playbook, and videos for the Xoom at CES. Also I can't see leaving the iPad2 out of the equation as it should be announced in a few weeks and will be released in the March/April timeframe, and rumors are putting the specs inline with the Playbook and Xoom. In the end I have a feeling (i.e. IMHO) that Apple and RIM will lead the tablet market 1 and 2 respectively since they make both the hardware and software, and Android will be third mostly selling lower cost lower end devices from China and e-readers.
    01-16-11 01:09 PM
    Bigger device also has more room for bigger battery.

The Bridge is only a selling point for those with a BB. If it doesn't have activesync they're cutting out a huge market.

If the Xoom or iPad came in 7" it probably wouldn't be a question which way I'd go.
    01-16-11 01:11 PM
    I don't recall an 8GB Playbook option being announced except on that lame page that went under in a week that claimed to have hands on (mobiltiy insider or something). Other than that they are only comparing specs and experience on pre-release unit in the case of the playbook, and videos for the Xoom at CES. Also I can't see leaving the iPad2 out of the equation as it should be announced in a few weeks and will be released in the March/April timeframe, and rumors are putting the specs inline with the Playbook and Xoom. In the end I have a feeling (i.e. IMHO) that Apple and RIM will lead the tablet market 1 and 2 respectively since they make both the hardware and software, and Android will be third mostly selling lower cost lower end devices from China and e-readers.
    If you mean RIM PlayBook over the Xoom you maybe right. RIM over Android as a whole I don't see it.

The masive numbers of Android devices out there will have them selling more than RIM
    01-16-11 01:15 PM

According to this article, the playbook's battery life tested out at 6 hours vs. 10 for the motorola xoom. Other than the xoom's larger 10" screen, the hardware on both seem to be mirror images (so much for rim getting out a tablet that was ahead of the market; way to drag your feet again guys and show up late).

Keep in mind rim is still winner in the tethering department. We will still have an amplified blackberry where the competition won't have the same option. I am surprised, however, to hear xoom has a higher screen resolution; where was all the assurance from Balsillie that this device was going to stomp a mudhole in the competition?
    10" screen is a non-starter, for me.
    01-16-11 01:24 PM
    Still to Big

NOW if the xoom could pack all that into a 7" device, MAYBE I'd consider it
    yes, still too big! I want 7"! If the Moto was 7" Id be excited. as it is, I'll get the PB.
    01-16-11 01:25 PM
    I think the xoom will be 7 inch tablet also. just not on initial release
    01-16-11 01:34 PM

According to this article, the playbook's battery life tested out at 6 hours vs. 10 for the motorola xoom.
    this writeup is total BS, RIM havent given an offical figure for playbook yet, just `expected 8Hrs` plus no mention that all people saw at CES was a xoom playing videos, not actual working honeycomb software!!

also lets put an end to this one right now. there never has been an 8Gb version. EVER. and unlike that `obviously not written with facts` article im able to prove it, heres the presentation slide from GITEX for the playbook, this was weeks after the first announcement, and shows clearly all the clever people saying 8Gb are really just too blind to see whats in from of them.

01-16-11 01:53 PM
    if the 7" version comes out either before or at the same time as the PB then I'd be interested, but once the PC is out, I'm buying!
    01-16-11 01:54 PM
    it wont be that soon, the first Xoom might be out before the PB though. Just have to wait and see
    01-16-11 02:20 PM
    Yeah. and i think Asus is also coming out with a 7" eventually. Heck with it, i just want the Playbook!
    01-16-11 02:25 PM
    HTC Scribe is slated to be a 7" also and I'm pretty sure it will have the same specs as the Xoom. For me that will be my choice. Android Honeycomb, expandable memory=a win for me. PB hasn't been in the running at all for me,it was DOA with no expandable(sd card slot) and proprietary tethering crapola.
    Last edited by grncherry1; 01-16-11 at 03:12 PM.
    01-16-11 03:06 PM
    I still don't know which way I want to go. If Xoom was released in7" at the same time that would probably be my choice. I still may go with the 10" who knows.

I do like the fact that you'll be able to upgrade it to 4G. As long as it's a reasonable price, it keeps the device from being outdated when 4G rolls out more.

The Xoom has a SD and although they say it won't be running at release, the hardware is there to be turned on. Even if Moto doesn't turn it no XDA guys will probably figure out a way to make it funcational.

ETA:I'll talk about the HTC device when more is known about it.
    01-16-11 03:18 PM
    I still don't know which way I want to go. If Xoom was released in7" at the same time that would probably be my choice. I still may go with the 10" who knows.

I do like the fact that you'll be able to upgrade it to 4G. As long as it's a reasonable price, it keeps the device from being outdated when 4G rolls out more.

The Xoom has a SD and although they say it won't be running at release, the hardware is there to be turned on. Even if Moto doesn't turn it no XDA guys will probably figure out a way to make it funcational.

ETA:I'll talk about the HTC device when more is known about it.
    The Xoom looks good to me also. There are some really nice accessories available already for it. That is a very good sign.
    01-16-11 03:23 PM
    I mean I see all the stuff about the Xoom etc, but I can't help but think that BlackBerry Playbook will work the best for me. I mean I'm saving up for, and extremely looking forward to using one of these things. I'm not going to defect for Android/iPhone, and this tablet will help me in my productivity. I mean to me, a phone is a communications device meant to increase productivity. BlackBerry focuses on increased productivity. I don't care what my mum says, I am gonna get one of these PBs
    01-16-11 03:28 PM
    I mean I see all the stuff about the Xoom etc, but I can't help but think that BlackBerry Playbook will work the best for me. I mean I'm saving up for, and extremely looking forward to using one of these things. I'm not going to defect for Android/iPhone, and this tablet will help me in my productivity. I mean to me, a phone is a communications device meant to increase productivity. BlackBerry focuses on increased productivity. I don't care what my mum says, I am gonna get one of these PBs
    I don't see it as a defection, it is buying what I like and what does what I want it to do. There is no such thing as brand loyalty as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to shelling out 6 or 7 hundred bucks for a device. That would be foolish in my opinion.
    Kerms likes this.
    01-16-11 03:33 PM
    HTC Scribe is slated to be a 7" also and I'm pretty sure it will have the same specs as the Xoom. For me that will be my choice. Android Honeycomb, expandable memory=a win for me. PB hasn't been in the running at all for me,it was DOA with no expandable(sd card slot) and proprietary tethering crapola.
    Hummm, now you have my interest. will be looking into this.
    01-16-11 03:40 PM
    I don't see it as a defection, it is buying what I like and what does what I want it to do. There is no such thing as brand loyalty as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to shelling out 6 or 7 hundred bucks for a device. That would be foolish in my opinion.
    That's how I feel. That's why I'm not ready to commit to ipad2,playbook or xoom.

Each has it's strengths and weakness. If the iPad came in a 7" device I would have to say it would probably #1 on my list.

If the PB has Exchange active sync it will be good to go except I'm thinking about a device that was a cellular radio in because there are times when I think I'd want use it without tying it to my phone. PB is coming out on Sprint, not so good around here and it's 4G and won't fall back to 3G so for me it would be a waste to buy the 4G

Xoom if it works at advertised it would be great, except I rather have 7" and android also doesn't have a few apps I'd like to have.

It's going to come down to price, me playing with them and then do reading once it's out for avg joes to review and not some blog that is probably slanted toward their favorite device
    01-16-11 03:43 PM
    Hummm, now you have my interest. will be looking into this.
    Supposedly there is going to be an announcement on or around the 7th of Feb. I am looking forward to it also.
    01-16-11 03:46 PM
    Less brand loyalty for me, more lack of support for accessories I own. If it wasn't for these accessories I own, I WOULD be jumping ship to Win Mob.
    01-16-11 03:47 PM
    Less brand loyalty for me, more lack of support for accessories I own. If it wasn't for these accessories I own, I WOULD be jumping ship to Win Mob.
    I hear you, that is part of the master plan, get them locked in with a carrier or accessories or software.
    01-16-11 04:08 PM
    I believe more of the market is starting to think the way you are, and RIM isn't quick to recognize it. Over the last few years I think RIM loyalty has been waning as they fall further behind in all markets but the business sector. Once upon a time the blackberry trademark garaunteed sales with some consumers, less so today. 2011 will be the year you can mark as the one that showed whether RIM clawed its way back or showed it was in fact in a slow, but steady, decline.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 10:01 AM
    You could always sell the accessories on ebay or something and probably get most of your investment back and move on.
    01-17-11 10:47 AM
    I dont think they battery will be able to hold for 10 hours though? But who knows, Maybe with the smaller screen it wont use nearly as much battery power. But i doubt it.
    01-18-11 08:59 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD