Here we go...
    Yes, as a title i want to talk about this PB and any posibility we should get.

Since BB failed give us OS10,

Yess... this PB (definetly) got LOCKED BOOTLOADER since OS2.1 came to us.
    But, MAYBE...
    Can we fool this locked bootloader? so we can tweak this devices for some "cool purpose", even install android OS'es on it...

Comparing Playbook, the terms of locked bootloader with any devices,
    let's say android phone/tablet such a motorola droids who got same locked bootloader situation from vendor (vzw, att, etc).
    And Lucky they have an app call " Safestrap ", that can build a virtual slots for booting, and bypass-ing the stock OS, and
    directly insist the device to boot up from any OS installed on this slots.
    So it's not even touch the stock OS, and of course this app file in 'apk' form and just done on a rooted devices (super user).

In a similar terms condition,
    maybe we can just convert this apk, sideload it and make some virtual slots on PB...?

I already have this apk, successfuly convert it and signed to bar file using BBHTools, but i'm not yet sideload it,
    because the point is the playbook is not in "Rooted" state, that BB forces us to updates PB OS from they server,
    make a playbook like they failed legacy and nothing anyother can break it's code.

Maybe there someone outside there, tweaker, cooker, still struggling with this PB's future,
    BB didn't give us a OS10, but at least we can try anyother way that make this device a litle luck.

Any vision...?
    02-07-15 06:27 AM
    I don't believe using an android app in that manner would work. They are two independent systems built differently and with their own security checks. It would be like trying to run a Linux program on bsd to mess with the core OS files and expecting the exact same results. (Excuse my horrible analogy but it's easiest way to explain it.).

Things will be placed differently in different OS's, for the most part.

Tricking the boot loader into believing the new OS is signed by Blackberry would probably be your best bet but, as far as I'm aware, no one's managed that as of yet. Maybe, somehow, modify an autoloader/blitz file?

I've done my fair share of programming but haven't tread too far into the depths of OS programming so I'd be damn near talking out of my *** trying to give any further details.

Posted via CB10
    Nayalm likes this.
    02-07-15 06:48 AM
    I don't believe using an android app in that manner would work. They are two independent systems built differently and with their own security checks. It would be like trying to run a Linux program on bsd to mess with the core OS files and expecting the exact same results. (Excuse my horrible analogy but it's easiest way to explain it.).

Things will be placed differently in different OS's, for the most part.

Tricking the boot loader into believing the new OS is signed by Blackberry would probably be your best bet but, as far as I'm aware, no one's managed that as of yet. Maybe, somehow, modify an autoloader/blitz file?

I've done my fair share of programming but haven't tread too far into the depths of OS programming so I'd be damn near talking out of my *** trying to give any further details.

Posted via CB10
    Surely we already known this PB is Blackberry's MOST secure devices, but with closed of many strings nowaday like, USB port security (can't do OTG), Bluetooth (can't transfer/receive file), and with anysigned of Blackberry PB OSes installing, and even today we can't not get it in "rooted" state anymore.

Why we still can not get they failed legacy code after they failed this devices..?

At least, maybe someone did replacing they "phisicaly PB's Flash IC", and fill it with anyother OSes...
    02-07-15 07:14 AM
    I don't believe changing any internal hardware could work because, if I remember what I read correctly, the system checks each piece of hardware to make sure it's straight from Blackberry during boot. That's the reason boot times tend to be slower than android.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 03:17 PM
    Aaaand here comes another one, headed towards failure, like the ones before him
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-07-15 03:24 PM
    Here we go...
    Yes, as a title i want to talk about this PB and any posibility we should get.

Since BB failed give us OS10,

Yess... this PB (definetly) got LOCKED BOOTLOADER since OS2.1 came to us.
    But, MAYBE...
    Can we fool this locked bootloader? so we can tweak this devices for some "cool purpose", even install android OS'es on it...

Comparing Playbook, the terms of locked bootloader with any devices,
    let's say android phone/tablet such a motorola droids who got same locked bootloader situation from vendor (vzw, att, etc).
    And Lucky they have an app call " Safestrap ", that can build a virtual slots for booting, and bypass-ing the stock OS, and
    directly insist the device to boot up from any OS installed on this slots.
    So it's not even touch the stock OS, and of course this app file in 'apk' form and just done on a rooted devices (super user).

In a similar terms condition,
    maybe we can just convert this apk, sideload it and make some virtual slots on PB...?

I already have this apk, successfuly convert it and signed to bar file using BBHTools, but i'm not yet sideload it,
    because the point is the playbook is not in "Rooted" state, that BB forces us to updates PB OS from they server,
    make a playbook like they failed legacy and nothing anyother can break it's code.

Maybe there someone outside there, tweaker, cooker, still struggling with this PB's future,
    BB didn't give us a OS10, but at least we can try anyother way that make this device a litle luck.

Any vision...?
    Much smarter people than you or I have tried this and failed. But go for it, I look forward to your progress if any.
    02-07-15 04:55 PM
    For some odd reason he reminds me of that guy that claimed he was going to get BBOS 6 on a 9520/50.
    02-07-15 04:59 PM
    I don't believe changing any internal hardware could work because, if I remember what I read correctly, the system checks each piece of hardware to make sure it's straight from Blackberry during boot. That's the reason boot times tend to be slower than android.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Technically it would be possible to desolder the NAND flash and solder in a new one with, for example, the security bit disabled or an older rootable firmware. They're kinda difficult to desolder though.
    02-08-15 08:54 AM
    Yep, no ones messing with a blackberry unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it. It's dug in deep starting from the hardware and then checking hardware and software all the way until the tablet or phone boots and runs. Any failure of checks up to that point and it's a total fail.
    You could swap out all the blackberry signed hardware but essentially at that point you've just built a new tablet. THE only thing that could be possible would be for BB themselves to bring out an OS update that's signed that insructs all the other checks to ignore the installing of another OS. Obviously though that isn't going to happen though because BB would be worried that your new choice of OS maybe able to exploit BB security in some way while BB have lowered its defences a little thus compromising other products.
    Probably wouldn't be the case but BB aren't going to use the time checking every scenario or building that patch so its easier/cheaper/safer for them to just not let you.
    02-08-15 11:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that's part of security module planted in our PB, that BB definetly known someday we will try break into. But i mean, is there anybody done it or just always failed...?

I'm an oportunist type man, who try to attend people to think that maybe anyother way after BB failed us.

Much smarter people than you or I have tried this and failed. But go for it, I look forward to your progress if any.
    let's time goes on..

For some odd reason he reminds me of that guy that claimed he was going to get BBOS 6 on a 9520/50.
    i did not claimed any..? where is the part of?

Nope. Technically it would be possible to desolder the NAND flash and solder in a new one with, for example, the security bit disabled or an older rootable firmware. They're kinda difficult to desolder though.
    okay..... exactly it's must be possible right..? but maybe tough or needed a specials super skill to make it done...
    Last edited by f4ckj4r; 02-08-15 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo screen touching
    02-08-15 11:30 PM
    Yep, no ones messing with a blackberry unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it. It's dug in deep starting from the hardware and then checking hardware and software all the way until the tablet or phone boots and runs. Any failure of checks up to that point and it's a total fail.
    You could swap out all the blackberry signed hardware but essentially at that point you've just built a new tablet. THE only thing that could be possible would be for BB themselves to bring out an OS update that's signed that insructs all the other checks to ignore the installing of another OS. Obviously though that isn't going to happen though because BB would be worried that your new choice of OS maybe able to exploit BB security in some way while BB have lowered its defences a little thus compromising other products.
    Probably wouldn't be the case but BB aren't going to use the time checking every scenario or building that patch so its easier/cheaper/safer for them to just not let you.
    you're right. what about loader..? that can be execute installing OS with no need connecting to BB server..
    02-08-15 11:39 PM
    you're right. what about loader..? that can be execute installing OS with no need connecting to BB server..
    Answer in bold.
    02-09-15 09:11 AM
    How difficult is it to disable the security?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 10:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-11-15 11:43 AM
    I meant how difficult as in does it work just is a pain, is it past the point of someone who doesn't work on this stuff normally but still achievable or is it near impossible? Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 01:23 PM
    I meant how difficult as in does it work just is a pain, is it past the point of someone who doesn't work on this stuff normally but still achievable or is it near impossible? Lol

Posted via CB10
    Dood, if you have the hardware to write a NON writable eeprom, the one that provides the keys upon power on, then rewrite the next 2 layers of encryption, and then remove the security checks of the entire OS, then go for it. The device is as secure as a FIPs device can get now.

02-11-15 01:28 PM
    Two easier options imo would be convincing BlackBerry to unlock it and getting sperm out of a wooden rocking horse
    You've got to also ask yourself what you would do with it if you unlocked it? Hardware is getting a bit past sell by date so older droid os or maybe Ubuntu.
    Hell of a lot of effort and time with pretty much no reward other than bragging rights.

Probably also impossible. Top Hackers tend to do things just because they can. They seem to have gave up. Feels a bit like stripping down the space shuttle bit by bit and building a non stick frying pan out of the parts.

Go ahead though, I would live Ubuntu on mine.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 02:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes.
    02-11-15 02:46 PM
    Answer in bold.
    i just asume, if in past OSes before 2.1 cameout, definetly we have 'power' that we can get any stuff like usb port (OTG), we can root it, using 'dingle' (CW), or even rollback the OSes.. as i asume that's work like a charm.. and did not find any messed thing just like now.
    Okay maybe BB done patching it, but are this realy patching only...?

Posted via CB10
    let's figure it out..
    there's hundred codecracking out there, beside this tablet is an "ancient form of OS10".

Dood, if you have the hardware to write a NON writable eeprom, the one that provides the keys upon power on, then rewrite the next 2 layers of encryption, and then remove the security checks of the entire OS, then go for it. The device is as secure as a FIPs device can get now.

so how much layer we got here...?

i'm not going to insist someone here, but just figuring what we gonna do then, when we can't get any from BB after all?
    02-11-15 03:08 PM

I'm taking it that very few people actually read these threads through before responding... I made the point that it wasn't possible. Then was told it was but was difficult. Therefore I asked how difficult.

Is the last line your signature or is it just thrown around on these forums whenever? If you just like to throw it around, may I ask what my IQ is? I'm slightly confused as to how you are aware of my intelligence level.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 03:26 PM
    Yes.
    I'm going to take it that using the English language isn't your strong point is it?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 03:28 PM
    I'm going to take it that using the English language isn't your strong point is it?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, thought you were with OP, trying to accomplish the virtually impossible.
    02-11-15 04:02 PM
    It's ok, I've been around long enough to know better then to attempt it. I like my Playbook the way it is.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 04:32 PM