Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sleepngbear
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Folders?

From someone who does not have a Playbook, but is considering - is there a 'folder' app?

I want to use the playbook as a hard drive and save any type of file - not just word or excel files. Much of the software I use creates specific files which I do not expect the playbook to read - I just want to save them in a folder.

I played with a friends new playbook for a while on the weekend - but could not work out how to do this. Simply open a folder somewhere and see files. This was probably a result of neither of us having a clue how to do much on the device......

Any suggestions?
    6.0 Bundle 2342
    Bold 9780
    Playbook 64G

You can create folders on the PB with one of several file browser apps (I find File & Folders to be the best, but others may disagree). Why not just get a USB memory stick? They've got them up to 128 GB now .... seems like that's more like what you're looking for and certainly more portable.
    Ed

Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
    Thanked by:
    Innovatology (12-22-2011) 
    Bisboxer likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by 18to7fiddy View Post
    You can create folders on the PB with one of several file browser apps (I find File & Folders to be the best, but others may disagree). Why not just get a USB memory stick? They've got them up to 128 GB now .... seems like that's more like what you're looking for and certainly more portable.
    Thanks. However I want the other features of the PB also. And I want to carry around 1 device, not 2 devices (+ phone).

I'll check out the File & Folders app
    6.0 Bundle 2342
    Bold 9780
    Playbook 64G

You can also just create folders using the usb or wifi-sharing and Windows' Explorer or a Mac version.

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    You can also just create folders using the usb or wifi-sharing and Windows' Explorer or a Mac version.
    Yup, didn't even consider this obvious option. Plug the PB in via USB -- or use WiFi sharing -- and it looks like any other external drive on your computer.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts

it there any way to create folders like on the blackberry devices? to keep apps more organized?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ciabo View Post
    it there any way to create folders like on the blackberry devices? to keep apps more organized?
    At the moment only on the OS2 dev beta.
    Will be in full OS2 release.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carsten View Post
    From someone who does not have a Playbook, but is considering - is there a 'folder' app?

I want to use the playbook as a hard drive and save any type of file - not just word or excel files. Much of the software I use creates specific files which I do not expect the playbook to read - I just want to save them in a folder.

I played with a friends new playbook for a while on the weekend - but could not work out how to do this. Simply open a folder somewhere and see files. This was probably a result of neither of us having a clue how to do much on the device......

Any suggestions?
    Maybe a cloud storage service would better address your requirements. Since you already have a BlackBerry smartphone why not store the application data files on a microSD card?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carsten View Post

Any suggestions?
    To answer your question simply, the PlayBook does not come with a file manager, so you'll have to download one from AppWorld to be able to manage your files. I believe the PlayBook should be able to download whatever files you want, you'll just have to get a file manager to move them into whichever folder you want.

Files and Folders seems to be the most often recommended app on these boards, and it's available on AppWorld for $2.99. It also has a trial version, so you can try it out before you buy it.
    CrackBerry User

i use air browser which is free and for me, it works perfectly fine. just like looking at your files in list/detail view instead of thumbnail view. it's available on app world.
    CrackBerry Master

Files & Folders will soon be your best friend.