I have not used my playbook in 4 or 5 days and I picked it up to turn it on and the red light lights up than it flashes a yellow light 5 times and it doesn't turn on. What is going on? I read that it may be that the battery is dead so i plugged it into the plug that came with the pb for a half our but it still won't turn on. What do I do? I also tried connecting to to my computer and installing os 2.0. It took an hour and half and went through the process until it got to the point where it said connecting to the devie than it said it could not connect to the device. I do not know weather I should leave it and see if it will eventually connect or unplug it and try charging it more.
    02-21-12 05:57 PM
    let it charge. make sure it's in the wall, not the PC
    02-21-12 05:59 PM
    the screan I have up now says if i disconnect it before the update is complete I could make the device unusable
    02-21-12 06:00 PM
    Let the update finish then charge that sucker!
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-21-12 06:01 PM
    The update won't finish a screen pops up and says the desktop loader is unable to connect to the device. you may need to enter the password to the device and there are two buttons below it which say retry and cancel. No matter how many times I click retry it won't connect and I don't have a password on it. But if I press the power button on the playbook my computer makes a noise like I just connected something to it but than after the playbook flashes the yellow lights it makes the sound that I disconnected something.
    02-21-12 06:12 PM
    The update won't finish a screen pops up and says the desktop loader is unable to connect to the device. you may need to enter the password to the device and there are two buttons below it which say retry and cancel. No matter how many times I click retry it won't connect and I don't have a password on it. But if I press the power button on the playbook my computer makes a noise like I just connected something to it but than after the playbook flashes the yellow lights it makes the sound that I disconnected something.
    Hmm, i don't think you have a choice then, you'll have to disconnect from the computer and charge it. Once charge you'll probably need to follow the debricking procedures to revive the tablet. Good luck!
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-21-12 06:15 PM
    what are the debricking procedures?
    02-21-12 06:15 PM
    what are the debricking procedures?
    Warning first, debricking wipes the playbook, so all personal stuff will be lost without backing up first! I realize you're probably past that point, but had to throw it in there for others that will read this. Okay, here's the steps:

1: Power the playbook completely off
    2: Start up Desktop Manager
    3: Connect your powered off playbook to computer
    4: DM will start booting the playbook for you, but will pop up a message saying it can't connect, but that pop up will have a "update" button, hit that.
    5: Follow the prompts from there, DM will wipe and reload the latest OS on your playbook.

That should be it, good luck! I hope a good charge is all yours needs!
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-21-12 06:22 PM
    I plugged it in and pressed the power button and it started up. It than said I needed to setup my playbook so i did that, setting the timezone and my network password. It now says battery lever critically low at 0%. It says the update will resume when it hits 20%. But, it had already charged for an hour, i don't think the level is going to go up.
    02-21-12 06:42 PM
    I hope you are using the charger that came with your Playbook (the one with the 1.2A output) but it might be the fact that your playbook was out of power for a few days...

just wait it out another hour or 2
    02-21-12 06:45 PM
    I plugged it in and pressed the power button and it started up. It than said I needed to setup my playbook so i did that, setting the timezone and my network password. It now says battery lever critically low at 0%. It says the update will resume when it hits 20%. But, it had already charged for an hour, i don't think the level is going to go up.
    How do you have it plugged in? If it's just connected to a usb to a computer, all that does is maintain your current level, only way to actually charge the battery is through a wall charger. If you are on a wall charger, and it's not charging, i'd hate to say it, but you might have a dead battery. If the playbook is less than a year (which they all are) call RIM, see what they can do for you.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-21-12 06:45 PM
    It is on my rapid charging dock, would I be better off using the cord that came with it?
    02-21-12 06:49 PM
    It is on my rapid charging dock, would I be better off using the cord that came with it?
    It wouldn't hurt to try since it seems like it's not working on the rapid dock, give it a whirl!
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-21-12 06:50 PM
    I am having the same problem even after doing the debricking process (which I didn't realize is what I was doing). After it installs the new OS2 and (on my fully charged Playbook - was never low for me) gets in the reboot stage it eventually pops up that Unable to connect to device message.

I (with the PB still connected) went ahead and did all the setop the PB required thinking that might be what the Download Manager was waiting for.

The DM process bar went to 100% after I clicked the retry button but nothing else has happened an hour later.

I went through this same procedure last night but HAD to disconnect the PB from my laptop. It seems the DM still thinks I am on version 1.08 on the PB.

If it doesn't resolve itself in the next hour, I will disconnect the PB, uninstall the DM, and reinstall the DM. Then hook the PB back to the laptop and hopefully the new DM will recognize the OS2 er PB.

Can I restore my apps/settings/media from DM from a 1.08 backup onto the 2.0 OS?

Thanks
    02-22-12 09:25 AM
    Can I just ask why you are doing the update via DM and not over WiFi?
    02-22-12 09:29 AM
    I'm not too bright sometimes?

I got on my PB yesterday morning and checked out the App World for an update. There was nothing. Did not think of going into the settings to check for an update that way (until after it was too late!).

I knew that the DM would update the device and thought it might be best to have it plugged in to the laptop and charging (or keeping its charge) while downloading and installing a whole new OS.
    02-22-12 09:34 AM
    Most, including yours truly the second time i updated, like to do the update via DM if possible because of the speed. If the computer you're on has a wired connection, DM will download the OS update faster than over the wifi on your playbook. Kinda a mute point really, but some, sadly i admit i'm one of them, get pretty jacked over getting something as awesome as this as fast as possible.
    02-22-12 10:00 AM
    Update...
    I disconnected the PB from my laptop. It is OS 2.0.
    I clicked on CANCEL on the DM 'reboot: this may take up to 30 min.' and it told me after that I had successfuly updated the OS but that not all the application data was transferred but that I could do that with a backup/restore.

Only the DM still thinks I am on OS 1.08 and when I tr to reconnect the PB it wants me to update the OS... A viscious cycle!

Will try uninstalling/reinstalling the DM now.
    02-22-12 12:50 PM
    I have completed the uninstall and reinstall.

There is a knowledge base document on the RIM site to ensure that the software is unistalled completely. Probably a good thing to follow.

The only Download Manager I was able to find was Version 6. Could be because it is Desktop Software and not Download Manager. Same software just a previous version.

All seems to be good now.
    02-22-12 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD