I have been using a NetComm 3G10WVR also known as the Rocket Hub from Rogers here in Canada for internet access and WiFi. It has always been flakey and drops WiFi sometimes like 3 times a day and sometimes up to 50 times per day. We just got used to it on our PCs and BBs and Ipods and androids. Rogers was no help. When I got my PB it seemed even worse. Finally found something online indicating that the assigned DNS was the culprit. I changed this to a free DNS and wifi has been fantastic since. Hasnt dropped wifi in 2 days.
    02-05-12 10:17 AM
    Great info. I also have the same hub. Same problems. However my voice calling also drops, in addition to the incoming signal dropping and ridiculous low range WiFi (which is a new problem...was always perfect before)

How exactly do you set it for free DNS?

As far as increasing incoming signal strength, I have found many 24 DBi external, directional, pole-mount, yagi antenna kits for $85 citywireless.ca thru amazon or eBay out of Toronto are probably the best. A month ago 48DB external yagi antennas were findable thru google, but it seems that everyone has stopped carrying them. I want to know why! I have yet to purchase a yagi, but I've been paying data cap of $125 a month anyways, might as well make incoming 3g reliable and finally be able to stream content, as I'm already going broke paying the Rogers bill. I'm in the woods and the external antenna will have to go on a pole and be fine tuned to point directly at the nearest tower.

Has anyone found out if there is a firmware update for the 3G10WVR ?
    09-16-12 12:58 PM
    Go into advanced/DNS/DNS Server when you access the router. Change the primary and secondary DNS server to something other than the Rogers default which are awful. I use Googles 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. Save your changes and fire it up again to ensure the changes have saved properly. Router has dropped maybe 3 times in the last 8 months and it comes back within seconds when it does. It is like a different router since I made the change.
    09-16-12 06:12 PM
    Slightly off topic: I resurrected this old dog from my friends basement with super success with my Speakout Unlimited Browsing service. The phone option works as well - caller id, new v-mail mess. indication + the old double beep dial tone message indicator - the whole deal. Of course I get hit with the usual 25 cent/min calling rate.

All I had to do is setup the SpeakOut apn through the modem dashboard/ user interface. Speeds are typical for this restrained connection ~0.40 -0.30 Mb/s but solid. Super fast compared to my rural located dial-up option (typ. ~30 kb/s). Not bad for $10/ month.

See: https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepa...rates#browsing

The Unofficial 7-Eleven Speak Out Wireless Canada Consumer Page: http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/
    Last edited by sparkolas; 12-05-12 at 01:24 PM. Reason: urls edited
    12-05-12 12:42 PM
    sparkolas : I tried the same 3G10WVR2 with speakout wireless SIM that has browsing enabled. But I cannot connect to internet. Do you need to setup proxy , etc?
    The router status shows connected to speakout.
    The SIM data browsing works on my phone.
    Just not when used in 3G10WVR2
    01-01-13 10:26 PM
    I dont know if you have solved this problem but it is not with the hub. I had the same problem but just had to manually set the proxy servers in the computer and set up port 80. I have a mac pro laptop but was also able to set up a ipad 2 on wireless. Cant lose for $11.50 /month unlimited browsing. If you need help let me know.
    02-20-13 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD