Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thecsman
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry First timer- cannot connect to my wi-fi at home but can connect to other wi-fi spots

Hi all,

My girls got me a Playbook 32g for Christmas! I was so excited! Now I am crazed! I need 10 of these!

I cannot hookup to my wi-fi network at home! My laptop will connect, my BB Curve will connect, but the play book won't! It did connect outside of McDonalds to their wi-fi! I also have a Sierra Shockwave Air Card and tried using that, but cannot figure that out as well!

I put my beloved BBPB away - but now I think I am ready to attack this issue again! I really need this device while on the road because I look up a ton of data online! Can't do my job without this and the laptop is to bulky and in the way - plus don't need all of that!

Also, live in US and cannot find the BB keyboard! I even tried Amazon, but their were a couple of different ones that came up! So wasn't sure which one to get!

Also - does a stylus work better than the fingertips!

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sly
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

What is the make and model of the wireless access point?

Did you attempt assigning a static IP address to the tablet and connecting to your network?

For the BlackBerry Convertible Case and Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard have you searched ShopCrackBerry.com?
    CrackBerry Abuser

connect your laptop to WI FI on that router.
    open mozilla firefox/internet explorer, (chrome not recommended)
    on address bar type 192.168.1.1 a dialog box will open, type admin in user name and admin as password.
    it will open your router page, then on various tabs(most probably in security) you will find 2 options: reboot(factory reset) and reboot(without factory reset)
    click on reboot(without factory reset)... and page will show your your router is rebooting please wait for 2 min.
    wait for 2 min... and then try to connect it... it will work.
    reason: playbook OS has a tendency of clogging data packets for the first time in some routers, once u do the step it will work falwless everytime.....

in case you need further support online, ping me at tabish4u@gmail.com.

press like if the info is helpful.

thanx and kind regards
    tab
    CrackBerry Addict

Isn't it up to the router to drop data packets?

I was going to suggest changing the wireless protocol to 802.11g to start with.
    dogger222 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,035 Global Posts

Default Re: First timer- cannot connect to my wi-fi at home but can connect to other wi-fi spots

For me a stylus definitely works better than finger tip for tapping to select letters or insertion points for on screen typing. Dont need a fancy one such as required for sketching. See Amazon for cheapies from Hong Kong. If you are going to use a Bluetooth keyboard you may also want a Bluetooth mouse.
    CrackBerry User

I had to set my home router to use the 20Mhz bandwidth instead of the default "auto". Works flawlessly since then.
    CrackBerry User

When you attempt with the PB does it show your Wi-Fi as an available network?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,035 Global Posts

Default Re: First timer- cannot connect to my wi-fi at home but can connect to other wi-fi spots

If you have a Win 7 laptop you can download Connectify from web and get a mobile hot spot from your laptop if you continue to have router problems.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    333CD502

Quote Originally Posted by Just Giver View Post
    When you attempt with the PB does it show your Wi-Fi as an available network?
    I had a problem with a friends router as well and I fixxed it by switching WIFI channel from 6 to 11. Ever since then the network comes up green and healthy
    "If the music is too loud,notify the driver and he will kindly let you out"

"Once You go Black you'll never go back" (blackberry)
    CrackBerry User

Try matching the playbook wifi settings to what your bb curve has set for wifi including any advanced settings.