Just back from a 3-day conference in DC with my playbook. For the most part worked well, and was great having the PDF handouts loaded on the PB rather than having to stare either at paper or a distant screen. Did have a couple of observations:

1) Supplied PDF version of handout approximately 2300 pages long and was bookmarked (checked on my laptop). However, for the life of me couldn't figure out how to access the bookmarks when using the PB version of Adobe Reader, so had to keep scrolling to find the right session handout. Am I missing something or anyone else know of a solution? For small docs not an issue but for large files was an annoyance.

2) Bridge function worked admirably with my Bold 9650 running the most recent version of OS 6. Did notice that continued use did have an adverse impact on battery life of the phone (but not the PB), and that the phone was getting pretty warm after being bridged for 90 minutes. Just something to keep in mind.

All in all, was pretty pleased with the PB's performance and compact size v. a laptop to the sessions.
    03-29-12 04:15 PM
    1) As far as I know, the native PDF reader doesn't remember where you left off while reading so you have to manually remember what page you're on. Sucks.

2) My 9800 and my PB is always bridged together. My phone doesn't get noticeably warm, though.
    03-29-12 04:28 PM
    I kept the PDF Reader open (after hunting for the next session start location beforehand in the file - another plus for the PB's multitasking capacity); just was a pain each time having to hunt through that many pages to find the start of each presentation when I knew that the file had been bookmarked from the get go.

The heatup on the phone only happened one morning - was really chewing up battery life though (had to recharge at lunch break each day).
    03-29-12 04:35 PM
    The supplied Adobe Reader is... not the best, let's put it that way.

There is a free reader (qPDF) that is actually much better.
    03-29-12 05:35 PM
    My bridge stays on all the time. Have not experienced any heat buildup beyond what I'm used to.

x2 on qPDF. Just be aware it's an Android app that runs in the player. Some people have issues with the player.
    drmike likes this.
    03-29-12 06:34 PM
    My phone always gets warm when pulling data for bridge. Not like it gets ipad 3 hot or anything, it just gets warm lol.
    03-29-12 06:59 PM
    Did download the qPDF viewer. Unfortunately doesn't seem to recognize (or be able to access) imbedded bookmarks in the file either.
    03-30-12 08:18 AM
    Bookmarks in PDF do not seem to be recognized on the playbook at all. I find that in situations similar to yours I have to split the single PDF into many via the extract pages in adobe pdf. It is a pain and I hope this is fixed soon either by RIM or a third party reader.

Smart Office light has a good PDF reader as well and it has a very good page view that allows you to flip through pages very quickly. It may be the best option for you at the moment. I have not tested the full Smart Office as yet, but I think I am going to purchase it later today and test it.
    03-30-12 10:09 AM
    Repligo PDF is an android port that keeps track of where you left off as well as allowing for searches, preview tabs (but for a book like mine with 3300 pages, it takes a while to load), allows comments, highlighting, overall great app.
    03-30-12 10:29 AM
    ody360 - Repligo PDF is an android port or an android side-load?
    03-30-12 01:37 PM
    Repligo PDF is an android port that keeps track of where you left off as well as allowing for searches, preview tabs (but for a book like mine with 3300 pages, it takes a while to load), allows comments, highlighting, overall great app.
    I tried the SmartOffice app in AppWorld and it too takes a long time to open large PDF files. I couldn't get bookmarks to work either.

The Adobe reader included with the Playbook images the pages almost instantly. I think it may only image a page when you select it, not image the whole file. Probably a more efficient way. We may have to wait for an improved offering from Adobe to get a truly functional PDF reader.
    03-30-12 01:55 PM
    Hi @mwyattea, we're going to be adding bookmark support (and remembering your page when you opened it last) in one of the next few releases. So many features on our list and so little time to get them all done!!
    sagec, Scotter75, robtanz and 2 others like this.
    04-06-12 07:41 AM
    I love when these app developers just appear on Crackberry. Gives me a warm feeling inside

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Crackberry Forum App
    Scotter75 likes this.
    04-06-12 09:03 AM
    @DeonADB I have some pixie dust, if you'd like for me to sprinkle it on your head so you can use those happy thoughts to fly
    malcerie likes this.
    04-06-12 09:16 AM
    In case the OP and company are still following this thread, we released support for bookmarks (both in-document and personal) and last-page memory last week. Go check it out! I'm still really excited about how the bookmarks and other tabs look and work, and I've been using them for over a month already!
    saudadeii likes this.
    07-27-12 01:56 PM
    Thanks Karen. That will come in raelly handy.
    07-27-12 04:15 PM
    In case the OP and company are still following this thread, we released support for bookmarks (both in-document and personal) and last-page memory last week. Go check it out! I'm still really excited about how the bookmarks and other tabs look and work, and I've been using them for over a month already!
    That's great. Will you be creating a native app to be released with PB's OS2.1, or are you waiting for BB10?
    07-27-12 04:48 PM
    PDF Reader in App World also lets you use the bookmarks in your Pdfs
    07-27-12 07:36 PM
    ody360 - Repligo PDF is an android port or an android side-load?
    Following advices on this forum, I tried and love RepliGo : bookmarks recognized, good zoom, many options to scroll / swipe, able to invert contrast for night reading, annotations, etc. Really a pleasure to use, on long books and on magazines.

You'll find the BAR here : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...owsperpage=250

Direct link (multiupload) : RepliGo Reader 3.3.0
    http://www.multiupload.com/89MLZOQ0G...5M8388OzvlP0OQ

I've used DDPB Installer 1.0.9 to sideload : DDPB – PlayBook Tool for download + tutorial.

Many thanks to all who have really worked hard to provide us with these tools and the info, I just share what real good people have kindly donated / shared. Many thanks to this great community!
    07-28-12 06:09 PM
    Repligo is a great PDF Reading app but I'd be remiss in not bringing up this vital piece of information (that pertains to all paid apps). Repligo is a paid application, both on Android and Blackberry (currently only for non-Playbook devices, it looks like) markets. By using this side-loaded file from one of the Android markets, you're depriving them of the sale revenue and likely decreasing the changes that they'll put forth efforts in making an official port for the Android player or even a native app, since they actually do have to pay their developers and all... It is not easy developing apps, and even an Android port for the Playbook takes a significant amount of extra time each release in customizing some specific features and doing extra testing.

Following advices on this forum, I tried and love RepliGo : bookmarks recognized, good zoom, many options to scroll / swipe, able to invert contrast for night reading, annotations, etc. Really a pleasure to use, on long books and on magazines.

You'll find the BAR here : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...owsperpage=250

Direct link (multiupload) : RepliGo Reader 3.3.0
    http://www.multiupload.com/89MLZOQ0G...5M8388OzvlP0OQ

I've used DDPB Installer 1.0.9 to sideload : DDPB � PlayBook Tool for download + tutorial.

Many thanks to all who have really worked hard to provide us with these tools and the info, I just share what real good people have kindly donated / shared. Many thanks to this great community!
    07-30-12 01:03 PM
    Thanks for all your hard work.

Quick Question: Are you guys working on any other Apps?
    07-30-12 03:04 PM
    We're working on some more enhancements for qPDF Notes/Viewer, but that's all we have for Android/Playbook. We have a desktop PDF editor, PDF Studio, that works on Windows/Mac/Linux, though
    07-31-12 08:16 AM
    I recently downloaded Smart Office 2 and I found it to work great, something I have been waiting for for sometime. There is a lite version available for free. For the August 3 long weekend it is on sale at APP WORLD for $4.99. Excellent bargain for those who do a lot of Word Processing. An excellent App. It did take me a while to realize that when I open or create a document, it you tap the screen below the bevel, a line of commands appear.
    07-31-12 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD