I'm not 100% positive that when the PlayBook is launched it will look like this because the display models are locked behind glass so no one can hold it in their hand and get a feel for it.

However it's current size seems to be fine

The specs of the device are
    *7" screen
    *1024x600 resolution
    *5.1".7.6"

1. the 1024x600 resolution screen is at a 5:3 screen ratio
    2. that means that the screen size is 3.6"x6"
    3. subtract that from the screen size and you get a difference of 1.5"x1.6"
    4. that means the bezel would be about .75" on all sides.

I then quickly made a paper cutout (yeah, laugh) and holding it like a blackberry you can easily touch the entire bottom half of the screen without repositioning, so it should be dead easy to type on.
    09-29-10 09:58 AM
    "so it should be dead easy to type on. "

except for the fact it doesn't have surepress...
    09-29-10 10:11 AM
    they don't say either way.
    09-29-10 10:15 AM
    I'm guessing it will look exactly like that.. Since they have the specs, down to the weight, already on the blackberry website.

Last edited by Spiral_ouT; 09-29-10 at 10:32 AM.
    09-29-10 10:29 AM
    damn. they must've worked hard to ensure that it is precisely 400g and that 400g is not just a rounded number
    09-29-10 11:14 AM
    damn. they must've worked hard to ensure that it is precisely 400g and that 400g is not just a rounded number
    Thats why there's no SurePress lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 11:23 AM
    With the launch date being out in 2011 the overall design might be modified some how, as long as the feature set/specs stay the same or improve- I don't think it would be a big deal.

(I hope don't don't put that fake leathery backing like on Bold line)
    09-29-10 11:33 AM
    I don't think we've seen the unit actually get used....? Not even by the RIM CEO in the announcement.

I would like to be corrected however...
    09-29-10 12:05 PM
    Something is definitely going to change about it.
    09-29-10 01:16 PM
    Something is definitely going to change about it.
    I'm all "ears". please share your insights with the rest of the world about how it's going to change.
    09-29-10 02:06 PM

I'm not 100% positive that when the PlayBook is launched it will look like this because the display models are locked behind glass so no one can hold it in their hand and get a feel for it.

However it's current size seems to be fine

The specs of the device are
    *7" screen
    *1024x600 resolution
    *5.1".7.6"

1. the 1024x600 resolution screen is at a 5:3 screen ratio
    2. that means that the screen size is 3.6"x6"
    3. subtract that from the screen size and you get a difference of 1.5"x1.6"
    4. that means the bezel would be about .75" on all sides.

I then quickly made a paper cutout (yeah, laugh) and holding it like a blackberry you can easily touch the entire bottom half of the screen without repositioning, so it should be dead easy to type on.
    I don't think that them keeping it in that plastic case necessarily means the form factor is going to change. The Blackberry Tablet OS is still being developed and tested and I honestly doubt RIM would have nonfunctional dummy units of the PlayBook out. Wouldn't it be a bit embarrassing if the form factor changed too much after this?
    09-29-10 02:55 PM
    I'm all "ears". please share your insights with the rest of the world about how it's going to change.

Anything can change, until they become available, just like the Playbook thread states "Additional features and specifications of the BlackBerry PlayBook will be shared on or before the date this product is launched in retail outlets."

Its my opinion, you have a problem with it, do one mate
    09-29-10 03:27 PM
    Anything can change, until they become available, just like the Playbook thread states "Additional features and specifications of the BlackBerry PlayBook will be shared on or before the date this product is launched in retail outlets."

Its my opinion, you have a problem with it, do one mate
    and here I was hoping you had some REAL info to share about "something" that's going to change.
    09-29-10 03:38 PM
    and here I was hoping you had some REAL info to share about "something" that's going to change.

Sorry to disappoint
    09-29-10 03:43 PM
    Sorry to disappoint
    somehow I find your sorrow insincere...
    09-29-10 03:48 PM
    Now for those who want to know what I mean. As a visual designer ive been part of the assistant group for designers who create the architecture of some gadgets I cant name.

Usually the head of the companys design group send countless enquires on how to change or adjust for example "the buttons on a phone".

Just because there are pictures and specs flowing doesnt mean its final 100%. It is not always the case but its possible.
    09-29-10 03:49 PM
    Something about the hardware puzzles me. Where is the "home" button? Everything in the video seems like it can be done with your fingers except go back to the application launcher/switcher screen.
    09-29-10 09:25 PM
    Now for those who want to know what I mean. As a visual designer ive been part of the assistant group for designers who create the architecture of some gadgets I cant name.

Usually the head of the companys design group send countless enquires on how to change or adjust for example "the buttons on a phone".

Just because there are pictures and specs flowing doesnt mean its final 100%. It is not always the case but its possible.

definitely, nothing is set in stone until its available but this isn't some kind of car expo demoing concept cars... How many products of ones you've created have they announced to the world in a press release and then do a massive re-design soon after.. if they did then thats cool but I hardly see thats going to happen here unless there's a major design concern...

Something about the hardware puzzles me. Where is the "home" button? Everything in the video seems like it can be done with your fingers except go back to the application launcher/switcher screen.
    Yeah its needs a trackpad.. im actually kinda being serious here. It'd be nice to have an accuracy pointer or some sort too but I guess im old school :P
    10-01-10 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD