Can anyone recommend the best way of downloading films for my PlayBook?

The ones I have. on itunes are all protected by DRM so will not load! I am so pleased with the quality of the. PlayBook video.playback that I want to watch films on it.

Thanks, Ian
    12-02-12 04:50 AM
    Blackberry's Video Store (if available in your location)

BlackBerry Video Store
    12-02-12 06:23 AM
    To be pedantic you cannot download films to the BlackBerry PlayBook. However, you can download videos (DVDs, MPEG-4, AVI, WMV) to the tablet including the over-priced, under-stocked BlackBerry Video Store.
    12-02-12 07:36 AM
    not downloadable, but definately watchable,,, & free...

Crackle - Watch Free Movies Online
    curve-20 likes this.
    12-02-12 07:44 AM
    You have to download them to your personal computer and then copy them to your Playbook. I do it using the USB cable and just drag and drop the file into the correct folder. Some file formats work and some do not.

Actually, there may be a way of downloading files from torrents but it is not in common use.
    12-02-12 07:53 AM
    I wouldn't say torret file aren't in common use just not necessarily legal.
    12-02-12 10:17 AM
    I've heard of some people using DVD ripper software to convert rented or owned DVD's to the perfect Playbook supported format and then transferring the videos using a usb cable. But I wouldn't know anything about that or the free DVD ripper software that can be easily found on the web.
    Kandoo-BB and dave_h_946 like this.
    12-02-12 01:22 PM
    Hi there. I did some dvds this afternoon from my DVD collection. download DVD43 (this runs in the background as takes off the DRM as you rip). Download Handbrake (this rips the dvd to your hard drive) and then down load Freemake Video Converter (there is a playbook setting with converts to the correct aspect ratio). So you rip the DVD, then covert it to playbook then copy the file from you laptop over to the PB via the usb. Takes about 30 odd mind for an hours DVD. Seriously, I am a novice and even I can get my DVD's and my daughters Peppa Pig DVDs on the PB. The only difficulty I am having is with Disney DVD's. Does not seem to want to do the entire movie.
    curve-20 likes this.
    12-02-12 02:02 PM
    If you download videos onto your computer, you maybe able to download straight to your PlayBook. I'm not talking about torrents.
    12-02-12 02:25 PM
    Hi there. I did some dvds this afternoon from my DVD collection. download DVD43 (this runs in the background as takes off the DRM as you rip). Download Handbrake (this rips the dvd to your hard drive) and then down load Freemake Video Converter (there is a playbook setting with converts to the correct aspect ratio). So you rip the DVD, then covert it to playbook then copy the file from you laptop over to the PB via the usb. Takes about 30 odd mind for an hours DVD. Seriously, I am a novice and even I can get my DVD's and my daughters Peppa Pig DVDs on the PB. The only difficulty I am having is with Disney DVD's. Does not seem to want to do the entire movie.
    How good is Handbrake, I use Freemaker and it seems to be able to crack about 90 % off my DVD's. Then I just copy them to an external hard drive formated for the Playbook and loaded up what I want when I want using the USB and drag and drop. Do the same with my music CD's.
    12-02-12 04:22 PM
    Hi

I watched a couple of movies on crackle but recently cannot get sound to work. If I click on the speaker it sometimes comes up with a vertical slider for volume but I can't seem to be able to move the slider up to get sound. Anyone have any ideas on rlthis?
    12-02-12 06:57 PM
    Thank you all for the responses - have to say I am a little dissapointed that there is not a specific App that offers a broad selection of DVD's for the Playbook.

It looks like I will try Freemake and see if I can use it to remove the DRM from my iTunes films - can anyone tell me if this will work for iTunes music as well?

Apologies for the questions, but only got Playbook on Sat and I am delighted so far but want to take advantage of great playback quality of video & sound.
    12-03-12 03:04 AM
    Install ES File Explorer on to your playbook, share your pc's movie folder on the network and stream or download direct to the playbook from the pc. It works a treat, no server needed.
    mrrsquared79 likes this.
    12-03-12 04:02 AM
    I've bought Xilisoft Ultimate video converter...
    And I just convert each of my movies to the best PB format...
    and If I have the subtitles for it, I add them
    12-03-12 07:50 AM
    Thank you all for the responses - have to say I am a little dissapointed that there is not a specific App that offers a broad selection of DVD's for the Playbook.

It looks like I will try Freemake and see if I can use it to remove the DRM from my iTunes films - can anyone tell me if this will work for iTunes music as well?

Apologies for the questions, but only got Playbook on Sat and I am delighted so far but want to take advantage of great playback quality of video & sound.
    You maybe a little dissapointed...

But if RIM doesn't fix the lack of an ecosystem, they are going to be the ones that are really dissapointed. I hope the new App World for BB10 has a much wider range of music and video content, is priced more in line and allows for online storage.

Not many people want to go through the hassle of first getting a dvd/blueray (buy/rent) disk, and then spending the time to rip and convert it, having the space to store them and copying them between devices. Apple and Amazon make this process very easy, IF you use a compatable device that is.
    12-03-12 08:26 AM
    Well, apparently folks are happily streaming Amazon video to their pb but that does require an online connection.

I thought Itunes were NO longer drm-coded and could just be copied? No?
    12-03-12 09:45 AM
    Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software

Turn dvd and blu ray into playbook movies
    12-03-12 02:13 PM
    Blackberry's Video Store (if available in your location)

BlackBerry Video Store
    Two words: proxy server
    12-03-12 02:15 PM
    Thanks all for the added. Info, certainly appears to be a great place to get the answers.
    12-03-12 02:35 PM
    hamdbrake is cool. I am no teccy. i thought freemake was just a converter and you needed handbrake to rip the dvds to your lappy. it all seems to work for me - i would prefer a bloody movie store though (UK user). I do see the ad's for kindle fire and give out a *sigh*
    12-03-12 03:13 PM
    Well, apparently folks are happily streaming Amazon video to their pb but that does require an online connection.

I thought Itunes were NO longer drm-coded and could just be copied? No?
    To my knowledge only iTunes music is no longer drm-coded. I've never been able to watch their movies on my pb. Oh how I wish someone would tell me things have changed...
    12-03-12 04:22 PM
    iTunes video is still DRMed to the best of my knowledge, it's just music that went non-evil.

There are ways of getting rid of the DRM, but they all seem to cost money (other than recording your computer screen while playing the video, which is kinda pathetic in terms of quality etc.; plus if you get a pop up halfway through or something, it kinda sucks).

I would echo what people have said above about installing DVD43 and using Freemake Converter (using Handbrake to rip the DVD first is unnecessary, you can rip and convert with Freemake in one step). Although DVD43 does not work on 64-bit OSes, so if you use one of them, you will have to turn elsewhere. You may try this: Passkey Lite although I found when I tried it that it only worked on the first few attempts and then stopped working. Another option is to rip the DVD first using software like DVD Decrypter or this: DVDFab HD Decrypter, called HD Decryptor, from the same company as the other software I linked to. I haven't tried this one, but if you have blu-rays, it may be the one to go for. Once you've ripped your DVDs or blu-rays, convert with Freemake as usual.

Another thing I'd like to mention is KalemSoft Media Player, an app available in App World. It is �8/$8/whatever, but it can play virutally any video you throw at it (except DRM ones, of course ). This means you can skip out conversion of videos, although depending on the format they're in, you may not want to do that with regards to file size.
    12-03-12 04:53 PM
    Install ES File Explorer on to your playbook, share your pc's movie folder on the network and stream or download direct to the playbook from the pc. It works a treat, no server needed.
    I had no idea I could do this with ES File Explorer, no more transferring downloaded content to my PB before heading to bed to watch them. Now I can just stream them to the PB. Awesome feature!!!!
    12-03-12 04:53 PM
    I had no idea I could do this with ES File Explorer, no more transferring downloaded content to my PB before heading to bed to watch them. Now I can just stream them to the PB. Awesome feature!!!!
    You can also do this using Ghost Commander, for those with an aversion to sideloading.
    curve-20 likes this.
    12-03-12 05:39 PM
    It does have issues playing some .avi files but if you long press the movie icon then choose 'open as' and 'video file' it will work just fine
    12-03-12 06:26 PM