I'm very interested in buying a playbook and I'm on the verge of doing so. I have tried looking for an answer thru google search and many threads here and haven't been able to... To get to the point I want to know if the playbook will be able to use BBM without the need to bridge in a sooner or later update??

Thanks in advance
    05-05-11 10:28 PM
    yes! well i think so...from what i have seen bbm will be one of those native apps included with email etc. in future updates...take the plunge my friend
    05-05-11 10:32 PM
    You are better off with your phone's bbm. You are not gonna use the playbook JUST for bbm. I think it's pointless really.
    05-05-11 10:35 PM
    Well I don't have a blackberry phone neither do I have a tablet don't want to have two lines on my account so rather just have tablet and of course it won't be only for BBM but I have alot of friends in Dominican republic and central America that all connected to each other through BBM so it's a feature I would like to keep in touch with them that's why I ask :/
    Last edited by Hermanrh; 05-05-11 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Typo
    05-05-11 10:38 PM
    You are better off with your phone's bbm. You are not gonna use the playbook JUST for bbm. I think it's pointless really.
    Makes a difference if you don't have a BB phone.
    05-05-11 10:38 PM
    I guess. I believe RIM is targeting blackberry users. As for the question of just BBM on the playbook without a phone? RIM keeps us in the dark, so who knows? They never tell us anything. Just use MSN messenger for your friends in other places. Everyone has that, I think.
    05-05-11 10:44 PM
    So this is still unknown then? Almost bought it today but when I was in line was taking very long and had to leave for work.. Maybe someone else can shine on this ?? maybe Kevin? XD
    05-06-11 07:27 PM
    I'd guess they won't allow it unbridged. Would affect BB phone sales I'd suspect. Unless BBM is going generic, then it'd be available.
    05-06-11 09:14 PM
    I've read that they are going to support BBM natively along with the native email, calendar, etc. The PlayBook has it's own PIN so no reason it couldn't. My understanding was the issue was that right now the relationship is 1 user to 1 pin. Obviously, they need to change this so if you send something to the playbook, it shows up on the handheld as well because an end user would never know which one you were on... also they need to know to send to both seamlessly.
    05-06-11 10:36 PM
    The PB does have its own PIN so there is no real reason why the couldn't give a native BBM for the PB without having to use a BB phone. However I would not allow spend that amount of money on the basis of BBM being available or not. Unless you are spending a serious amount of money currently keeping in contact with your friends.
    05-06-11 10:43 PM
    Don't take the plunge if missing that feature would make it a deal breaker for you.

BBM is far from confirmed at this point. We know native PIM apps are coming, but RIM hasn't made any official statements about native BBM.

I would say wait a month or so - the native apps aren't that far off. But they are far enough off that your return policy would expire before you get your answer.
    05-06-11 10:49 PM
    The PB does have its own PIN so there is no real reason why the couldn't give a native BBM for the PB without having to use a BB phone. However I would not allow spend that amount of money on the basis of BBM being available or not. Unless you are spending a serious amount of money currently keeping in contact with your friends.
    Well im not going to base my purchase on just the fact if it gets bbm or not. Would be for all it's capable of ofcourse just wondering about that added feature which would be nice extra for me
    Thanks for all the replys though appreciate it
    05-06-11 10:50 PM
    Don't take the plunge if missing that feature would make it a deal breaker for you.

BBM is far from confirmed at this point. We know native PIM apps are coming, but RIM hasn't made any official statements about native BBM.

I would say wait a month or so - the native apps aren't that far off. But they are far enough off that your return policy would expire before you get your answer.
    Curious question from ur post.. Is BBM considered a PIM app?
    05-06-11 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD