Consider it a rental.

Before you feel gyped, ask yourself these questions:

Has it saved me time in efficiency during the period before the price drop? Figure how much, and what your time is worth.

Has it provided free entertainment? Add up the cost savings in other ways you may have entertained yourself, during the period before the price drop.

If you have a BB phone, has it saved you the cost of another data plan to support the tablet?

See if the rental cost was worth the value that you got out of it.

Would you rather have not had it in your hands during the early period?
    Wishing you had one?

Might you have made an even more expensive mistake and bought something else that you ended up hating, requiring an additional data plan for 3G??

Best of all, have you enjoyed it?
    Still feeling ripped off?

Just looking at the bright side - glass half full ya know.
    09-22-11 11:59 PM
    Price drop is not a good thing for a brand, I feel cheated after spending a lot for a product that looses its value so fast . Never expected this from RIM. The price slash definitely shows that there is something fishy going on.
    snowman83, dakid2k6 and jonathanbb like this.
    09-23-11 12:08 AM
    Well, they are sitting on way too much inventory and it will affect cashflow. So, not surprised at the price drop...
    09-23-11 12:11 AM
    Consider it a rental.
    You mean a "rental" for which the buyer paid full price. What a deal.

If it takes you 160 words to explain how you weren't "gyped," then you probably were.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-23-11 12:12 AM
    so if its a rental, RIM is going to want to take them back from you right?
    09-23-11 12:16 AM
    I will not feel cheated or ripped off, if RIM fulfill their promises on time...

Actually, it makes me wonder how others would not feel that...
    09-23-11 12:20 AM
    I don't care about the price, I've used it every day since I bought it.

Initially I thought it would be 'fun' to be an early adopter, sort of like watching the PB grow up so to speak, experience frequent updates etc.

Reality unfortunately has somewhat different.

Airplane Mode?
    Differential Updates?
    New Power Icon Software?
    60 Days for Native Email etc?
    Summer for Android Player?
    Wait for FIPS Approval?
    Skype Icons, MSN Icons Shown?

I looked at the Galaxy Tab 8.9 today, thinking based on Rims past I might play with it for a few months until 2.0 comes out?
    09-23-11 12:32 AM

Initially I thought it would be 'fun' to be an early adopter, sort of like watching the PB grow up so to speak,
    Well, look at it this way... You DID get to watch your baby grow up...

But unfortunately it was a complicated and very expensive birth, and it caused some permanent damage. So your precious baby is ********.

That doesn't make it a bad or useless. Just means that it has some severe limitations, and it might never be able to do the things that other parents take for granted

How much did you pay for it though, and how big is it? Cause if its a 16 or 32 gb version you might be lucky to get 300$ for it, from somebody who doesn't pay close attention to news and prices. Wait a couple of weeks, and those 300$ should be able to get you a 64GB version!
    09-23-11 01:04 AM
    I have no intention putting it up for adoption.

My Baby is just a slow learner, the doctor said 60 days, then he said by summer, then after October, the day will come...

I love my children unconditionally...
    yauchunh, tnewton3 and jonathanbb like this.
    09-23-11 01:18 AM
    I'm having a difficult time understanding where people have linked price mark down with sale price? I mean why are we talking about this as if the price was cut by Rim or the retailers. As seen with a lot of products once they aren't brandnew on the market the sales start to occur.
    I work at Futureshop and for the pass couple years I've seen products come in at a high price on day 1, only to have a sale price a few months later. Remember how expensive xbox 360s or ps3s were when they first came out?
    This is actually a good thing for retailers to start to offer promos on the products, because now consumers might have more of an incentive to buy. Or might even just see the product is on sale and be more interested it in because they saw it in the flyer.

Lastly don't look at the special pricing that some telus or roger's employees are getting as a sign of mark downs. As one of the perks of working in a electronic retailer I've seen tones of products offered at greatly reduced prices offered to the staff.
    09-23-11 01:29 AM

My Baby is just a slow learner, the doctor said 60 days, then he said by summer, then after October, the day will come...

Damn Canadian healthcare! I keeed, I keeed!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-11 01:35 AM
    i bought a playbook for 500 and i knew exactly what i was buying. i got to use it in store and i was able to see everything that was available for apps. i, like many, felt that this price matched the product we were buying. if we thought differently we would have possibly purchased another tablet or held off till price cuts.

price cuts always come
    its sad sometimes when someone purchases a product just prior to price cuts. though most of the time you can see them coming when you do a little research on any product you want to buy. playbook price cuts have been mentioned recently in the forums from various carriers for certain customers. its only a matter of time before everyone has access to these same prices.

whenever you make a large purchase the wise thing to do is research

if your truly mad about the decision you made to purchase a product at a certain price, chances are you never really could afford it in the first place. i feel sorry for those who go into debt to make purchases they can never really afford. i do think there are many resources available to help with your problem online.

for the rest of us who were glad to make the purchase, very exciting times ahead. we are about to get more value out of our playbooks when they release 2.0
    09-23-11 02:04 AM
    if everything in this word depreciated at this rate...

you get what i mean. this thread is wrong on so many levels.
    i actually expect to be paid for being a beta tester. if rim didn't treat us as such, they wouldn't have defaulted on their promises because it would mean they knew what they were doing.
    09-23-11 02:26 AM
    LOL!

Like flies to flypaper - I'm backing off of this thread before I get in trouble for being positive, happy, encouraging, and optimistic
    Sorry mods, I guess some people are hopelessly attached to being miserable, and spreading misery. Thought I might help them out.... but nooooo.

Close it if you want.....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-23-11 at 02:46 AM.
    LewLew23, Snoke, suzicat and 1 others like this.
    09-23-11 02:35 AM
    I did my research, a lot of promise, was looking forward to summer, was also contemplating buying a blackberry... Now I feel cheated. Will never buy a RIM product again.

No point of defending RIM, this product is a sleek, formfitting, high powered paper weight.
    09-23-11 02:40 AM
    Lol, these posts made me giggle. A BABY, never realized what I got myself into.
    But unfortunately it was a complicated and very expensive birth, and it caused some permanent damage. So your precious baby is ********.
    At any rate though, it'll be interesting when update 2.0 (something) comes along and brings my "******" above your "normal" child. If everything comes to fortune , knock on wood.
    09-23-11 03:37 AM
    I don't feel ripped off at all! This device has a lot of kilometres on it and has saved me and my girlfriend when we were in need to kill time. For example, surfing the web while waiting for a flight, or watching a movie while on a road trip... this thing has just been spectacular! In fact, every morning when my alarm goes off I pluck it off the dock and surf the web or check my Facebook, etc.

If it weren't for this Playbook I never would have downloaded the Al Jazeera app to watch their news broadcast on an almost nightly basis and learn that their broadcast isn't as "bad" as the right wingers would say

And if you feel ripped off, maybe tablets aren't something you should be buying just yet? And I would rather have my Playbook as opposed to having my iPad 2 only to hear Rice or Jobs announce a new, better iPad 6 months later.
    rleo25, menaknow and michjarv like this.
    09-23-11 05:26 AM
    For those of you who are surprised that a piece of electronics would depreciate in value, you just haven't been paying attention to the electronics market.
    Guyzer and michjarv like this.
    09-23-11 05:56 AM
    Well when JOBS and now COOK announce a new iPad its a finished product with improvements from the last version. When RIM announces an update to the PB everyone hears crickets chirping. Keep Waiting folks maybe someday. It is hilarious to read some people's posts. It will get better just wait. Wait for what? For RIM to fix it?
    09-23-11 06:01 AM
    Well when JOBS and now COOK announce a new iPad its a finished product with improvements from the last version. When RIM announces an update to the PB everyone hears crickets chirping. Keep Waiting folks maybe someday. It is hilarious to read some people's posts. It will get better just wait. Wait for what? For RIM to fix it?
    If the iPad 3 doesn't have a bridge feature to the iPhone will it need fixing or be classed as un finished?

09-23-11 06:24 AM
    For someone who constantly whines about the negativity on this forum, the OP has created a post designed to bring out all the unhappy Playbook owners. Great work blackjack!

The Playbook is depreciating far faster than a typical piece of electronics.

Companies that care about their customers compensate existing owners when things like this happen.

When Nintendo cut the price of its 3DS because it was not selling as it should, it gave the early adopters credit for 20 game downloads.

When HP discontinued the Touchpad, it offered to refund all existing customers.

When RIM discounts Playbook we get . . . . nothing. Thanks, RIM! Classy move.
    09-23-11 06:30 AM
    If the iPad 3 doesn't have a bridge feature to the iPhone will it need fixing or be classed as un finished?

Bridge was released on the PB because QNX has issues with BIS and BES as of now.....bridge......laughable our iPads have 3g data built in.......:roll eyes:

Bridge is a band-aid nothing more nothing less. Everyone spins it as a "feature" boy thats some serious kool-aid right there.
    Have fun being a beta tester for RIM.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 09-23-11 at 06:40 AM.
    LuisCast likes this.
    09-23-11 06:38 AM
    For someone who constantly whines about the negativity on this forum, the OP has created a post designed to bring out all the unhappy Playbook owners. Great work blackjack!

Companies that care about their customers compensate existing owners when things like this happen.

When Nintendo cut the price of its 3DS because it was not selling as it should, it gave the early adopters credit for 20 game downloads.

Thank you sir

Actually not designed that way, but sure did work out that way didn't it?
    I'm just trying to help bring you all over from the dark side and try to enjoy life while waiting for OS2! C'mon join the optimists club, it doesn't hurt to smile and be happy and hopeful....

Decided to stop whining and just lead by example I'm a changed man.
    A good stint in rehab after being banned can do wonders. You should try it!
    09-23-11 06:42 AM
    BlackJack I really hope you get what you want in OS 2.0. Although if it doesn't deliver then what?
    09-23-11 06:45 AM

That's, complete BS. I don't remember Toshiba giving me my money back on that HD-DVD player. Sony never gave me a buy back option on it's first generation Blueray player that was considered "not final." It wouldn't even play newer Bluerays.

HP had no choice but to refund them as they could no longer offer hardware support and full warranty just 6 weeks of you buying the product. Also, it was a dead OS.

Nintendo gave out downloads because so many owners kept returning them. The return ratio is pathetic because of lack of games and would cause more turns when they found out about the price cut. And those 20 games weren't even all 3D. Again, lacking in games.
    09-23-11 06:47 AM
267 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD