I was attending training yesterday and brought the playbook along to use for taking notes and to following along on the new website that we will be using. I had to stop after approximately an hour and a half cause that's all the battery could last. What was really upsetting I had two people next to me that had ipads and they were able to utilize them for the whole training. Needless to say I felt very defeated. I do not have any side loaded apps, and I was connected to wifi at the center just like everyone else. I love my playbook and talk it up any and every chance I get, but yesterday I left feeling like a team that was supposed to win but got their a** kicked instead.
    10-24-12 08:58 AM
    Maybe you were working alot harder than the Ipad crowd. They may not have been taking notes at all. Lol
    piman02, jfamousm and Bumble2000 like this.
    10-24-12 09:00 AM
    Battery issue imho.
    10-24-12 09:02 AM
    Change your background to this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...papers-684445/ Post #9

It looks so slick and I actually saw a improvement in my battery life
    Sriman likes this.
    10-24-12 09:16 AM
    If you started with a charged battery and managed to drain it in 1 1/2 hours your PB has a hardware defect.
    10-24-12 09:26 AM
    I was attending training yesterday and brought the playbook along to use for taking notes and to following along on the new website that we will be using. I had to stop after approximately an hour and a half cause that's all the battery could last.
    I daily use a 64 Gb, permanent-demo-mode PB to attend day-long meetings while taking notes with Groovy Notes along with photos of some presented slides. To me a charge lasts definitely more than one day, for instance I can continue in case of a late evening discussion and in the morning after.
    The only difference I can see with you is "following along on the website" -on my side, no site, and only unfrequent wifi connection just for mail check (but I leave wifi on in the prefs).
    I don't use bluetooth either.
    Maybe surfing aplenty is a battery killer, maybe you were far from the wifi transponder. It remains that the (larger) iPods dealt with it better apparently. Maybe they surf less? Maybe, too, your battery is dead as others say...
    10-24-12 09:27 AM
    Just wondering how you come to that conclusion? I have had my 32gb Playbook for almost a year and have had not one once of problems with it. Didn't start noticing the battery drain until the last update. I am wondering if has anything to do with the new bridge update or new app that I downloaded. Still going through to see if anything leads to better battery life.
    10-24-12 10:21 AM
    you definitely have a hardware issue. I brought mine to a conference recently and had no issue going through the day on it.
    10-24-12 10:22 AM
    Just wondering how you come to that conclusion? I have had my 32gb Playbook for almost a year and have had not one once of problems with it. Didn't start noticing the battery drain until the last update. I am wondering if has anything to do with the new bridge update or new app that I downloaded. Still going through to see if anything leads to better battery life.
    I will try to answer with my limited knowledge of batteries.
    The PB batteries have somewhere around 18wh of power. Meaning if you were to consume a steady 1w the battery would last 18 hours. The highest spike I have ever seen on PB was 6w. That wasn't constant, just a spike. Using multiple apps, surfing the web, all connections on and screen brightness half way I use somewhere around 4w. That would give me more then 4 hours if I never put it down.
    I'm sure I got some of the terms wrong there but that is how I came to my conclusion. Get the Battery Guru app and you will see how much power your use is consuming.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-24-12 10:38 AM
    1. Fully charge the battery before extended use.
    2. Turn the brightness down.
    10-24-12 11:30 AM
    Maybe you were working alot harder than the Ipad crowd. They may not have been taking notes at all. Lol
    LMFAO ... Insult to injury priceless
    10-24-12 02:37 PM
    I was attending training yesterday and brought the playbook along to use for taking notes and to following along on the new website that we will be using. I had to stop after approximately an hour and a half cause that's all the battery could last. What was really upsetting I had two people next to me that had ipads and they were able to utilize them for the whole training. Needless to say I felt very defeated. I do not have any side loaded apps, and I was connected to wifi at the center just like everyone else. I love my playbook and talk it up any and every chance I get, but yesterday I left feeling like a team that was supposed to win but got their a** kicked instead.
    WOW! You definitely have a hardware or battery issue. I use and carry around my tablet everywhere to the point that a drain it and have never had that issue. Now I use my PlayBook in to stages and this is what I've noticed, when I have the brightness setting at high and running multiple apps including music players, heavy games, Web, etc... My battery will only last me up to 5-6 hrs easily with no problems. But if I switched the setting from high to low brightness with same usage off apps stated above my results were huge in comparison, easily got 10-11hours off baterry almost all day, that's better than I get on my bold9900 which has improved though even with the most current update I gave it, still no where near comparison. These 2 test were conducted with a full charged battery, 64gb playbook, and a whole lot of downloaded apps were talking 168apps last time I counted. Now my advise would be download battery guru, do a hard restart, and charge the baterry at full. Then conduct a series of tests one at high brightness and one at low brightness as you would your normal daily use off playbook life, review battery guru, if you see something out of the ordinary, battery is probably dead. Just contact tech support and yes if your warranty is out of date don't worry, they'll still take care of you, they've done so with me and I've had my playbook since almost day one so yeah. Excuse if spelling errors and for terribly long post... lates
    esk369 likes this.
    10-24-12 03:09 PM
    @OP, Yep, definitely a problem with your Playbook. There is no reason why your batteries shouldn't last all day at work.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-24-12 03:55 PM
    I started playing Shadowgun at the battery condition of 100%
    And I finished it and the expansion pack after 3 hours.
    Still got 50% on the juice.
    So yes, there is huge battery problem on your PB.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-24-12 05:00 PM
    If you started with a charged battery and managed to drain it in 1 1/2 hours your PB has a hardware defect.

I have to agree with this. The PB has had a issue with defective batteries from the beginning. My original 16GB PB, which I sold, had a battery problem after the buyer began using it. It worked fine for me when I had it but I took it back and turned it in for refund.

Don't feel defeated. Just return it for an exchange or send it in for repairs. When you get a good functioning PB, you'll be glad because you'll have a worthy tablet. By all means, find a way to acquire the fast charger - either in dock form of standard cable form - and only use it to charge your PB with. I believe the packed-in standard charger isn't doing the PB battery any good. The fast charger puts out much more amperage and will treat the PB battery much better.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 10-26-12 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Removed content that seems to have been rather controversial
    10-24-12 05:21 PM
    I used my 64gb PlayBook in an 8 hour training session using it to take notes and photos. I had 43% battery life remaining at the end of the training.
    10-24-12 05:55 PM
    I have read a number of stories about PB batteries leaking and oozing out of the case.
    Cool story, bro.

I just did a quick search of crackberry and the only things I found oozing out of the PB were potential, quality, sex appeal, and awesomeness.
    10-24-12 05:59 PM
    I used my 64gb PlayBook in an 8 hour training session using it to take notes and photos. I had 43% battery life remaining at the end of the training.
    That's impressive. I've only had my Playbook for three weeks now (it's still under twenty cycles) but with screen brightness down to 1/4 I'm lucky to get six hours. Battery health is definitely something I'm concerned about.

OP, if it was at 100% charge and drained that quickly it probably is a hardware defect.
    10-24-12 06:04 PM
    Change your background to this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...papers-684445/ Post #9

It looks so slick and I actually saw a improvement in my battery life
    this is good. thanks...

http://srimanapps.wordpress.com
    10-24-12 06:17 PM
    Cool story, bro.

I just did a quick search of crackberry and the only things I found oozing out of the PB were potential, quality, sex appeal, and awesomeness.
    Great effort, bro.

Here's a little help. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-745467-print/
    10-24-12 06:19 PM
    Great effort, bro.

Here's a little help. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-745467-print/
    Thanks for that morsel, bro.

So after a lot of digging, you happened to find a single report of a mysterious white substance, that could simply be adhesive. Where are the "number of stories" and the basis for your provocative assertion that the PB has had an "issue with defective batteries from the beginning"?

I apologize for jumping down your throat, but there are few images more incendiary than that of a screaming corporate exec with battery acid all over his hands and three piece suit.

The PB's lithium polymer batteries don't even employ a liquid electrolyte.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 10-24-12 at 07:25 PM.
    10-24-12 06:43 PM
    Is battery behaviour like this typical for you? I think the quickest I have ever drained from full was perhaps 6 hours. I think full charge to zero in 90 minutes would leave your PB very hot to the touch.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-24-12 07:15 PM
    Thanks for that morsel, bro.

So after a lot of digging, you happened to find a single report of a mysterious white substance, that could simply be adhesive. Where are the "number of stories" and the basis for your provocative assertion that the PB has had an "issue with defective batteries from the beginning"?

I apologize for jumping down your throat, but there are few images more incendiary than that of a screaming corporate exec with battery acid all over his hands and three piece suit. You must admit, you greatly exaggerated the scope of the "issue".
    Take a break. You're getting beside yourself over nothing. The thread contains multiple comments about the "white stuff", if I remember correctly. This all happened quite a long time ago and memory never serves well with age.

Go out, get a drink and relax. It will all be okay.
    10-24-12 07:17 PM
    Last night I started with 87% battery.
    Watched 3 hours of video streamed from my LAN using KalemSoft Media Streamer.
    The screen was at 100% brightness. Obviously WiFi was on.
    After 3 hours the battery was at 17%.

I was a little disappointed with that but really it's not bad.

OP, you have a hardware or software issue of some type.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-24-12 07:29 PM
    I find that only a good deal of playing Tetris or Bejewelled will drain my battery quite badly, but aside from that I easily have a full day or day and a half of battery charge - and I got this PB the day they were first sold. My brightness is turned waaay down. I noticed a great improvement since the last update - in fact I now leave bluetooth and WiFi on and have the Bridge functioning all the time - I didn't do this before the recent update. Sorry to hear yours failed you
    10-24-12 08:30 PM
36 12