Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By frfghtr
  • 1 Post By chasvs
  • 1 Post By Marcel38
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Feeling a bit down on RIM - need a pick me up

I'm a huge fan of everything Berry. I defend openly to all. However, I'm having a few doubts about RIM's ability to turn things around. Sure some of the negative press is likely fabricated, however there is so much piling on and I need something positive from RIM to kick start some new found enthusiasm.

The bridge snafu with the 1.0.7.xxxx release was the final straw that has dampened my enthusiasm about the company. Sure all companies have issues with updates but there is a string of issues, staff defections, negative press and the feeling of obsolescence which makes it really difficult to stay upbeat about RIM. My #1 reason for getting the PBook was the bridge functionality so when that broke, it sent me into a tailspin.

Will someone please say something encouraging so that I may stay upbeat regarding RIM's ability to turn things around?
    CrackBerry Genius

well the got 2 CEO so if whatever happened to one of them, rim always got a back up CEO.

and bb 9900 is due out august, next month..with 1ghz processor or so. retroish but svelte.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,205 Global Posts

@OP once the update is fixed, the bridge will run better than ever. I got my bridge and OS update and the bridge is running at its best.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

HotJava,

I have to agree with you... Like you, I have always been one of the biggest RIM/Blackberry fans in the world, however I have become inceasingly concerned recently. As I mentioned in another thread, while in Los Angles recently on a business trip, I went to a Best Buy and Staples store to take a look at and likely purchase a PlayBook. In both locations, they had a bunch of tablets setup and working, however at each location the PB was either dead or frozen. Couple this with the fact that Verizon does not seem to be pushing Blackberry's much at all anymore, the long wait for anything new from RIM, the long wait (3 months) for some basic functionality of the PB and other isuses, it is getting increasingly difficult to be very positive. In regard to what I expereined at Best Buy and Staples, and Verizon pushing everything but Blackberry's, I am concerned about how RIM will do without the support of the retailers.

I hope that with the new Blackberry's coming out in the next couple of months that maybe things will turn around??

My BB History: 957 -> 8800 -> Storm 1 -> 9650 -> Storm 2 -> Bold 9930 as of 8/16/2011!
    Wife: Bold 9650

CrackBerry Abuser

Rumour: RIM to Out QNX Powered Smartphone Sooner than Expected

They could potentially get a huge rebound IF they manage to do this right. IF
    CrackBerry Abuser

i have a feeling that there are a lot more changes in the updates than what we see in the release notes (i seems rim does a bad job of documenting updates, never have we had clear list of whats been fixed in updates even in phones). hopefully it will all come together at some point, and hope fully it will not be too late.
    CrackBerry User

Bridge is working flawlessly, that should put a smile on your face.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,185 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zafirisj View Post
    Bridge is working flawlessly, that should put a smile on your face.
    ...except when it's not. Clearly there were issues that led to RIM pulling the update. Continuing to suggest that there is nothing wrong with the update while RIM is acknowledging issues with the update makes you look foolish.
    Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2

BlackBerry: 950, 8700, 8100, 8800, 8300, 8900, 9000, 9700, 9800, 9930, and Q10.
    iPhone: Original, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5S.
    Tablets: iPad, iPad 2, PlayBook, iPad Mini.
    Banned

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HotJava View Post
    I'm a huge fan of everything Berry. I defend openly to all. However, I'm having a few doubts about RIM's ability to turn things around. Sure some of the negative press is likely fabricated, however there is so much piling on and I need something positive from RIM to kick start some new found enthusiasm.

The bridge snafu with the 1.0.7.xxxx release was the final straw that has dampened my enthusiasm about the company. Sure all companies have issues with updates but there is a string of issues, staff defections, negative press and the feeling of obsolescence which makes it really difficult to stay upbeat about RIM. My #1 reason for getting the PBook was the bridge functionality so when that broke, it sent me into a tailspin.

Will someone please say something encouraging so that I may stay upbeat regarding RIM's ability to turn things around?
    HP just just released a movie store on their touchpad. The OS is similar to playbooks.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K9K9K9K9K9

The good news is I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.
    I like hanging around dealerships, telling satisfied customers they bought the wrong car.
    01itr likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 01itr View Post
    Rumour: RIM to Out QNX Powered Smartphone Sooner than Expected

They could potentially get a huge rebound IF they manage to do this right. IF
    Seriously. WHAT have they done right lately? Why should we be optimistic about this? I've been a fan for years, but have been burned by RIM on the Storm, Storm 2 and now the PB! That's TREE Strikes and they don't get anymore IMHO!
    HTC Trophy WP7
    BB Play Book 16GB.
    Hup55 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,185 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frfghtr View Post
    The good news is I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.
    Ha! I might not have saved a bunch of money on my car insurance, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
    Ian

Semper Fi 3/2/2

BlackBerry: 950, 8700, 8100, 8800, 8300, 8900, 9000, 9700, 9800, 9930, and Q10.
    iPhone: Original, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5S.
    Tablets: iPad, iPad 2, PlayBook, iPad Mini.
    CrackBerry User

Maybe the good news is that maybe next time you won't drink the corporate Kool-Aide? Companies are companies, not family members. They work for profit, they make mistakes, and they won't be there to watch you in the school play. Kevin sets a bad example, and CrackBerry is set up to encourage fanboyism, but seriously- love a product, not a brand. Especially when that brand is doing what RIM is doing these days.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    CHED myself. My still alive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chasvs View Post
    Seriously. WHAT have they done right lately? Why should we be optimistic about this? I've been a fan for years, but have been burned by RIM on the Storm, Storm 2 and now the PB! That's TREE Strikes and they don't get anymore IMHO!
    I loved my Storm 2! Anyways, those were hardware "issues" with the Storms. The Playbook has software issues. It WILL get better. Just a matter of time, which some folks don't have any patience for (especially in this "right now" world).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

This won't make you feel more upbeat. RIM's third quarter sales are going to look anemic on relative basis. Third and fourth quarters for RIM are going to be very bad earnings as the company continues to yield market share.

Apple has record earnings, thanks to global iPhone sales - USATODAY.com
    CrackBerry User

Will someone please say something encouraging so that I may st
    ay upbeat regarding RIM's ability to turn things around?
    Huge fan also, been crackberry for last 2 years, always defending it against my apple friends and although my bridge works perfect after update, lately I started to think anout apple migration moee often. BB is for email, but dont have two way sync cause Im bis. My work webmail on 2.0 web doesnt work on pbook browser, it does on ipad browser. dont have an app for that server (1and1).
    Hope to change my resent traitor behavour
    btw, wrigting this from my pbook, without autocorrect that also we dont have.
    Cheers.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,930 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BD8C4F9

Quote Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
    HP just just released a movie store on their touchpad. The OS is similar to playbooks.
    This, along with the release of the Kindle app on the HP Touchpad, is dispiriting. We all know that RIM can't control what developers do, but the fact that the PB just isn't attracting their attention doesn't bode well. Amazon clearly rushed to get a Kindle beta onto the HP, and just as clearly is taking its sweet time with the PB. Despite the superb video capabilities of the PB, nobody seems to be in any hurry to sell or rent video to PB users.

I think that if we see just one of the Big Gun content providers take the PB seriously, others will follow.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

I can feel your concerns, and to be honest I have those concerns but I would like to tell this;
    i have a long story at bb, have started with bb in 2004 and bes 2.1.
    since then rim has always been slow, very slow, but always high quality if I look back.
    for example, I hate it that the keyboard does not begin sentices with a capital, something you would not expected from a bb.
    again, the keyboard is quite a challenge in landscape mode, u do not want to know how many times i try to go back in a line of words pinching with my fingers trying to get to the right spot, horrible, but absolutely not rim, i mean, this is not my bb experience i had on earlier devices all these years than on the playbook...hard to understand after so many years of using the super bb platform, so i cannot believe that nobody at rim doesn't understand that we need a copy paste button on the keyboard, and that a way to go back while typing like the glass on the ipad is a must have...

knowing that i would like to add that there no hacks on bb platform, nope, bes server ever hacked? nope, only one proxy app which needed permission from user.
    security matters, another strong point of rim.

and all the stability i experienced with bb keeps me still hoping that good old blackberry experience will come on playbook, but like i said, they are always slow with releasing stuff.

they are a company that lives already more then 25 years, let's give it some more time and things will come, but i got to admit, rim makes it very very hard for us lately, not even talking about the appworld.

so in the end i still have hope, but it took already a lot o my patience , hehe , quit a lot in fact.

hope this helps,
    kind regards,
    BlackBerry Torch - PlayBook 16GB + 64GB - BB Engineer - BES Admin

My Twitter | My Website
    Orbitor1 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
    This, along with the release of the Kindle app on the HP Touchpad, is dispiriting. We all know that RIM can't control what developers do, but the fact that the PB just isn't attracting their attention doesn't bode well. Amazon clearly rushed to get a Kindle beta onto the HP, and just as clearly is taking its sweet time with the PB. Despite the superb video capabilities of the PB, nobody seems to be in any hurry to sell or rent video to PB users.

I think that if we see just one of the Big Gun content providers take the PB seriously, others will follow.
    And thats what kills me. I have an iPad right now and I like it for email and apps. The os is boring as boring can get, and I miss the playbooks operating system. I just don't understand why its missing so much. Just put email on it, or some IM service and it would be the best out. For some reason I think those two clown CEO's are destroying the company to cash out.
    CrackBerry Genius

its world record now, playbook is getting updates for 2 days in the row. no other OS ever had it.