Folks i am relatively new the forum but thoroughly enjoy it and have learned a lot thus improving my experience with my p.b.

The one area that has been discussed a lot and appears to have a life of its own is the "troll" content that diminishes the forum experience. I do have a suggestion in this regard and it is to simply not respond, dont engage, dont defend,just move on. Those that seed negativity thrive on the response\reaction. Its kinda like a fire bug standing in a crowd watching and listening, its a big part of their motivation. No reaction, no motivation....at least for some.

Something to think about.

By the way typed this out on my new mini keyboard.
    03-31-12 10:47 AM
    I actually Blocked a lot of the trolls, but those trolls usually make a new fake account every month. Terrible that this is the only forum where I learned the true meaning of trolling.
    Spencerdl and SnoozerBold like this.
    03-31-12 11:10 AM
    I try to ignore them I just hate when a perfectly good thread gets derailed and it happens a lot lately. I stayed out of the news and general forums for a while and that helps a lot but sucks too as you miss some things. It also helps keep me sane.
    03-31-12 11:16 AM
    Folks i am relatively new the forum but thoroughly enjoy it and have learned a lot thus improving my experience with my p.b.

The one area that has been discussed a lot and appears to have a life of its own is the "troll" content that diminishes the forum experience. I do have a suggestion in this regard and it is to simply not respond, dont engage, dont defend,just move on. Those that seed negativity thrive on the response\reaction. Its kinda like a fire bug standing in a crowd watching and listening, its a big part of their motivation. No reaction, no motivation....at least for some.

Something to think about.

By the way typed this out on my new mini keyboard.
    You don't even know the half of it. The absolute worst are actual BB users who relentlessly go after the trolls. They are worst than the trolls themselves because they have no control and cannot comprehend the damage they are doing. At least trolls are cognizant of the damage they were doing. If you ignore the trolls, they go away...eventually...with the help of admins...I've seen it happen on other forums. One of the worst people that I have seen is a guy who loved plays cards...and especially loves playing 21...if you catch my drift...
    03-31-12 11:39 AM
    Just about the only way to control the trolls is to force moderation for the (x) number of new user posts. But that's a lot of work for the mods and wrecks the fluidity of threads. For every amazing invention, there's a saboteur lurking, happy to mess stuff up in a vain plea for attention.

There is a fun hack for vBulletin called "miserable user" that allows the selective delay of forum loading for "special" cases. But it's a controversial thing, albeit entertaining and effective.
    Last edited by wcgarette; 03-31-12 at 11:48 AM.
    03-31-12 11:45 AM
    Just about the only way to control the trolls is to force moderation for the (x) number of new user posts. But that's a lot of work for the mods and wrecks the fluidity of threads. For every amazing invention, there's a saboteur lurking, happy to mess stuff up in a vain plea for attention.

There is a fun hack for vBulletin called "miserable user" that allows the selective delay of forum loading for "special" cases. But it's a controversial thing, albeit entertaining and effective.
    No...I disagree...there are more than one solution to a problem. I just don't know what would the appropriate response would be since I don't have all the facts and am not a mod here. Best thing for me as a regular user is to just ignore. Requires much less energy on my part.
    03-31-12 11:51 AM
    No...I disagree...there are more than one solution to a problem. I just don't know what would the appropriate response would be since I don't have all the facts and am not a mod here. Best thing for me as a regular user is to just ignore. Requires much less energy on my part.
    You may be right; I'd be very happy to hear of an effective technique. I mod/admin/host a few forum sites, and the trolls sure do burn off a lot of resource and goodwill. So far, I've just learned to factor them in as part of the burden.
    03-31-12 11:56 AM
    I agree. You just factor them in. I don't particularly like them but I read through their rants.
    03-31-12 12:36 PM
    I'm not sure posting an additional thread is ENTIRELY helpful but I share your pain.
    03-31-12 12:46 PM
    I actually Blocked a lot of the trolls, but those trolls usually make a new fake account every month. Terrible that this is the only forum where I learned the true meaning of trolling.
    Forget the meaning of trollery, this is the only forum known to man where sock puppets are not only allowed, but welcomed.
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-31-12 01:50 PM
    Forget the meaning of trollery, this is the only forum known to man where sock puppets are not only allowed, but welcomed.
    It's blown me away too that this its allowed to go on as long as it has.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-31-12 02:22 PM
    What gets me is that people come here seeking advice or help and immediately these trolls descend on them in droves. While some of these threads may be setups some appear to be legitimate questions.
    03-31-12 06:48 PM
    Use the Report Button and let the Mod team handle that. And don't quote a troll, it makes the job harder.
    03-31-12 07:03 PM
    I simply plan to reply to all troll threads "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-31-12 07:29 PM
    Some of these trolls are most likely paid to do it. They show-up like it's a job and they mostly hang around in the Rumor and General forums where they don't have to know anything about BB products and can just perpetuate anti-RIM statements. It's not meant for you...

We even have textbook trolls where they spend a couple of months gaining trust and then turn iPhone on us
    03-31-12 07:48 PM
    You don't even know the half of it. The absolute worst are actual BB users who relentlessly go after the trolls. They are worst than the trolls themselves because they have no control and cannot comprehend the damage they are doing. At least trolls are cognizant of the damage they were doing. If you ignore the trolls, they go away...eventually...with the help of admins...I've seen it happen on other forums. One of the worst people that I have seen is a guy who loved plays cards...and especially loves playing 21...if you catch my drift...
    It's really bad form to talk about blackjack that way, especially since he's not here to defend himself against your blistering attack.
    pmccartney likes this.
    03-31-12 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD