I found this a very interesting article. I can definitely relate to the "geographic" location of where I recalled seeing text on a page - left page bottom or right page middle and being able to thumb through a text book and find it by concentrating on what I recalled as to its location in context.

The Reading Brain in the Digital Age: The Science of Paper versus Screens

Since the pb is a tablet and folks seem to want to read on it as well as ipads, kindles, etc, it seems appropriate to reference it here.
    04-12-13 12:59 AM
    I fall into the group who is slowly embracing e-reading but still prefer paper if given a choice. Too bad that choice is slowly being taken away as book stores and libraries are shut down or condensed...
    04-12-13 10:23 AM
    I get all of my books from the library, I go through too many in a week to afford to buy them. I'm pretty much split 50/50 between ebooks and paper. The ebooks on the PB are much better than a dedicated ereader because I don't have use a cable to connect to a computer. 99% of my paper books are hardcovers. I love the PB for travelling on the bus to and from work, much lighter to carry. The hardcovers are for reading at home. I still like the feel of an actual book, but I love my PB for reading on.
    04-12-13 10:21 PM
    I used to read entire books on a Palm device so maybe I'm the odd one out here

Reading books on a screen is more like reading a webpage - it's sequential, so it's hard to jump pages or chapters like with a paper book. You can orient yourself on an e-reader using chapter headings or bookmarks but it's not as smooth as physically flipping paper.

I find it easier to read fiction on my Playbook. Textbooks or non-fiction stuff need a lot of flipping back and forth... it can be done with bookmarks but the whole thing gets messy with too many bookmarks.
    FF22 and heppyX like this.
    04-12-13 10:37 PM
    I have been using an e-Reader for a few months now (Kobo Mini), and I'm picking up a PB for that usage as well (but not only !).
    I still love reading on paper, don't get me wrong, but carrying a single device, roughly thinner and lighter than a book, with tons of them inside it, is just way more practical when I'm moving around in transports.
    Going for a PB will also allow me to read comics/newspapers, this I "couldn't" do with my Kobo.
    04-13-13 01:41 AM
    I read many books on both the PB and a Kindle Touch. I find the Kindle e-ink my nicer for reading text but the PB is far better for books with lots of illustrations. Good to have both devices.
    04-13-13 03:13 AM
    Oh yeah, forgot about Zinio, one more reason why I love the Playbook The PB Zinio app might be flaky and slow but at least it works, and it definitely beats carrying around a box full of magazines. It's nice to be able to read up on my latest subscriptions when I'm on the road.
    04-13-13 10:37 AM
    I think as a generalism, I prefer reading books on my Kindle 3 / Keyboard. Preferable over normal paper books, simply because of things like instant dictionary lookup.

And I prefer that, over reading books on a tablet device, because it's too easy when reading on a tablet to get distracted - check your email, check your online banking, or that auction on ebay. So when I read, largely, I prefer to use my Kindle, now.

With the exception of at night / dark room, then I prefer on a tablet with inverse colours (black background, white text) simply because it's less glare than the LED lights on my lighted Kindle case. Problem is, no proper Kindle app on the PlayBook as of yet - the version people sideload, doesn't sync all kinds of books you may read on your Kindle.
    04-13-13 04:41 PM
    I much prefer resding an actual book than a tablet or ereader.

my wife has a kindle and I have tried and failed to read a book on it, just don't like it.

saying that though I am trying again since getting my pb and am slowly coming round to it but with a book I can get myself lost in it very easily but not so much with a tablet.
    04-14-13 10:15 AM