Not sure if this is an app issue or an OS issue. but i'm trying to figure out how to disable all these birthday notifications. i turned them off via account settings, but i'm still getting day of notifications. i have over 1k people on my FB, and i don't need their birthdays pinging me every day
    02-25-12 02:16 AM
    Mate im having same problem. Driving me nuts!
    02-25-12 03:04 AM
    Not sure if this is an app issue or an OS issue. but i'm trying to figure out how to disable all these birthday notifications. i turned them off via account settings, but i'm still getting day of notifications. i have over 1k people on my FB, and i don't need their birthdays pinging me every day
    Since many of the Blackberry PlayBook users seem not to understand the difference between the operating system, user environment, and applications let me simplify it for you.

Operating System: provides the low-level functionality which allows the user environment to interact with the hardware.

User Environment: provides the graphical user interface, most people erroneously think of as the operating system, which also provides a programming interface for applications to shield developers and users alike from the operating system.

Applications: provide the functionality users expect from the device.

The birthday notifications are handled by the application, be it FaceBook, Calendar, or some other application that reminds you of an upcoming birthday. The user environment merely provides the API to support such notifications. The operating system, apart from maybe causing a tone to be played, a bell sounded, or an LED notification to flash, does not process or have any knowledge of these birthdays.
    02-25-12 03:19 AM
    Since many of the Blackberry PlayBook users seem not to understand the difference between the operating system, user environment, and applications let me simplify it for you.

Operating System: provides the low-level functionality which allows the user environment to interact with the hardware.

User Environment: provides the graphical user interface, most people erroneously think of as the operating system, which also provides a programming interface for applications to shield developers and users alike from the operating system.

The birthday notifications are handled by the application, be it FaceBook, Calendar, or some other application that reminds you of an upcoming birthday. The user environment merely provides the API to support such notifications. The operating system, apart from maybe causing a tone to be played, a bell sounded, or an LED notification to flash, does not process or have any knowledge of these birthdays.
    So what's the answer?
    02-25-12 03:23 AM
    ^^^ It's a good thing the CrackBerry Master gave us a crash course in vocabulary terms of electronic devices lol ...

I was going through the same thing, disabled notifications and it still reminded me at midnight every night. However, for some reason I'm noticing that only a handful of user's birthdays got synced over .. I have approx 850 friends on FB and maybe 100 of those birthdays are on my calendar, not sure how it selected which would be synced and which wouldn't. Anyways, I finally ended up disabling the facebook sync from my calendar because the notifications were annoying already after just a few days. I don't think there's really a workaround yet for it, maybe in the next OS update they'll configure the calendar to work a little friendlier with the notification alerts. Hopefully.

Fingers crossed that I used the terms correctly
    02-25-12 03:25 AM

UE? never heard of it in any of my software classes, but then what do i know, i'm a designer, not a programmer. (couldn't google the term either, my friend did come up with the system software wiki article. closest thing i could find)

anyways moving on, so eliminating the calendar app (merely displays the notifications in its database), and the facebook app (didn't even touch it before syncing), i'm now on to the system settings -> accounts. system level application, ok fine. but if you're not in software engineering, who's going to know the difference. obviously i didn't, and my compsci buddies aren't saying i'm wrong either. to the *obviously untrained* eye, it's a system setting. and system settings are "embedded" in the OS. /pointlessuneducatedrantpsthanksforansweringtheques tion

Need fewer friends. If you deselect the display of Facebook calendar in the calendar window does it turn it off? You can select from the items and disable the reminders individually but that's a bit of a hassle though presumably not every year. They just need to add the 'none' option to the drop down list in the Facebook settings.
    no dice. it is turned off. and the "none" option exists, but apparently it doesn't work.

so, end result of this lesson? is the "Birthday Reminders" option broken? or does it just not affect already downloaded birthdays?
    02-26-12 04:52 AM
    Bump? March has slot of bdays on my car and it's going to get annoying fast
    03-05-12 11:35 AM
    Can't you just uncheck the facebook calendar in the Calendar app?
    03-05-12 11:39 AM
    Go to Options/Accounts, Edit Facebook, Turn Birthday Reminders to OFF.
    fraynes1 likes this.
    03-05-12 11:41 AM
    Go to Options/Accounts, Edit Facebook, Turn Birthday Reminders to OFF.
    I'm guessing most people who have this issue chose that setting when they setup their facebook account.

This issue annoys me as well. I absolutely do not believe my acquaintances birthdays should be events on my personal calendar. Its ridiculous, and both the smartphone and tablet implementations of facebook insist upon it.

In Android, for example, you have the choice of syncing just contacts, birthdays or both.

As far as they guy with the snide comment incorrectly explaining how computers work, you are no help. The accounts feature is part of the OS, and it is supposed to import facebook birthdays with no reminders when the option is chosen. My feeling here is that it probably only does that for new friends or something. All of the birthdays on my calendar have a reminder set for them, which can be disabled for each individual birthday. Unfortunately, there is no way to disable all notifications from a given calendar.

I wonder how nobody caught this....
    Last edited by friendly1013; 03-19-12 at 03:20 AM.
    03-19-12 02:10 AM
    I opened the options menu while in the calendar. Unelected the Facebook calendar and the birthdays no longer show in calendar. I'm not sure if the reminders will still operate. I only use the Gmail calendar for appointments now so the sync to my torch. By no means am I a computer guy but we'll see.
    03-19-12 08:03 AM
    I also have this problem; I believe it's a bug. It'll hopefully be fixed in the next update.
    03-19-12 09:27 AM
    This happened to me early this morning (i.e. just after midnight, with the PB beside my head on my nightstand). Birthday reminder from Facebook, the event is not in my PB calendar (or in my Google calendar, which is synced).

Checked the PB setting: Settings --> Accounts --> Facebook, Birthday Reminders set to None.

*annoyed*
    05-25-12 06:52 AM
    This happened to me early this morning (i.e. just after midnight, with the PB beside my head on my nightstand). Birthday reminder from Facebook, the event is not in my PB calendar (or in my Google calendar, which is synced).

Checked the PB setting: Settings --> Accounts --> Facebook, Birthday Reminders set to None.

*annoyed*
    This is an issue for me at the moment as well. My playbook experience for the last 3 days of ownership have been blissful. Bought it, sideloaded 40 apps, went to work enjoying it. Today my buddy Will has a birthday coming up at midnight. My Playbook has notified me 46 times.......... 46 times. click dismiss and it comes right back immediately OR decided to wait until I think it won't do it again and 45 mins later *NOTIFICATION*.

I turned it off in options, deleted his birthday from my contacts, and made sure my Gmail account wasn't syncing his B-day somehow. Rebooted....... *NOTIFICATION*

This was a blissful and seamless experience that I was so impressed with I sold my iPhone after 6 years of constant upgrades to go to the dark side since Bridge seemed neat. I am still loving the PB and my new BB, but I swear I'm gonna put it out in the back yard for 2 days until this Bday passes if it doesn't quit popping up notifications of his birthday every ten minutes.
    09-28-12 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD