I'm heading off to Tokyo in a couple of months and the trip will take approx. 16 hours. although the Playbook has good battery life, I can't see it lasting that long!

Some users have posted that they have bought or are going to buy external batteries for their playbook, but I haven't seen anyone catergorically state that their model of battery works.

Can anyone advise me on an external battery that works?

Many thanks,
    MJ
    08-29-12 10:57 AM
    I have seen a few different models in staples and radio Shack they run from about 20.00 usd up to about 100.00 I would advise you to research online and do a search on the CB forums I can't see not getting some good info to be able to make a informed decision on what's right for you.
    Good luck and enjoy your trip and post back and let us know how you made out
    irishstew likes this.
    08-29-12 11:18 AM
    Redirect Notice this was just a quick Google search for external batteries for tablets
    08-29-12 11:24 AM
    If that's your primary purpose for buying one, check the with the airline and see if they have USB or Power Ports on board the aircraft they would use for this flight.

Several airlines I fly cross-USA have either power ports or USB ports in the later model Boeing or Airbus equipment. They don't always charge my PB but they do maintain battery level or just lose a few % over a 6 hour flight.
    DC506 and irishstew like this.
    08-29-12 11:35 AM
    I purchased the NewTrent model IMP99D external battery. It is a 9900 mAh rechargeable lithium battery with two outputs (one at 5V/1Amp and the second at 5V/2Amps). I works great for charging both my 9800 and the PlayBook simultaneously. I have only used it on one long trip to Europe (8 hour flight) and did not run out of power on the PlayBook. It is fairly pricey around $70 US on Amazon. So far it has performed very well and has been worth the price. It does list BlackBerry as supported in it's specs, but does not list specific BB devices.
    felixmiguel and irishstew like this.
    08-29-12 12:42 PM
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately the flight I am on only has power for 1st / Business class. I didn't see the point in spending an extra �3500 on that ticket

I did do a search though the forums, but didn't find any posts where someone conclusively said a certain charger would work.

I'll look in to the NewTrent IMP99D, sounds like it is what I am after.

Many thanks, and I'll report back from Tokyo!

Regards,
    MJ
    08-29-12 01:31 PM
    I saw one just yesterday at Radioshack/the source and it was about $60. The lady said that it was specifically made for playbook/tablet type devices. only have a 5 hour flight home though, so thinking it MAY be overkill for my miniscule needs.

MJ, could you please let me know if you DO get that and how it works on that long flight? Good luck!
    11-16-12 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD