Is there any way to extend the time out beyond 5 minutes on the Playbook? I use Osmand+, and every 5 minutes the screen and the Playbook go onto standby. I need to swipe the screen again to see the programme. Dangerous when driving and I like to be safe.

Regards

Ross
    01-25-13 10:33 AM
    There are a couple of apps in app world that will keep your PB awake, Stay On being one of them. That being said, these apps must be visible for them to work. In other words, you can't have the app you want to keep awake, here being Osmand, maximized.
    rossjackson01 likes this.
    01-25-13 11:13 AM
    There are a couple of apps in app world that will keep your PB awake, Stay On being one of them. That being said, these apps must be visible for them to work. In other words, you can't have the app you want to keep awake, here being Osmand, maximized.
    Not even in showcase mode?
    01-25-13 03:26 PM
    Thank you Pacoman03 and Lendo78.

Unfortunaley 'Stay On' does exactly what is says. It keeps on only when in full screen, it allows other programmes to work in the background. The Playbook does not switch off. However if the 'Stay On' app is put into the backgound, even in showcase, then it reverts to a normal time out of 5 minutes. Bummer! Ah well. I hope that BB10, when we get it, allows the time limit to be altered.

Regards

Ross
    01-25-13 05:31 PM
    Well that's disappointing
    01-25-13 05:45 PM
    This screen would suggest there's an api that developers will be able to use to have their apps request the screen not time out..

01-25-13 06:01 PM

Unfortunaley 'Stay On' does exactly what is says. It keeps on only when in full screen, it allows other programmes to work in the background. The Playbook does not switch off. However if the 'Stay On' app is put into the backgound, even in showcase, then it reverts to a normal time out of 5 minutes.
    Stay On should keep your PB alive as long as you can see it on screen. It does not need to run full screen. Thus, if you run it like this, it should work.
    Attached Thumbnails Extend time out?-img_20121009.jpg  
    01-25-13 09:00 PM
    Than you Just_Luc. How do you get to the screen that you printed? If I have password switched off, all I can see is the 'lock after 30' greyed out. Even when I enable the password the max setting is 30 minutes.

Pacoman03. Thank you for your suggestion. Innivotive. However to run the playbook screen like that is distracting, and also the nav screen size may as well be a mobile nav. A good try though.

Regards

Ross
    01-26-13 02:52 AM
    Than you Just_Luc. How do you get to the screen that you printed? If I have password switched off, all I can see is the 'lock after 30' greyed out. Even when I enable the password the max setting is 30 minutes.
    I'm afraid that you won't be able to get to that set-up screen on your PB Ross... it looks like a leaked BB10 screenshot to me.

I guess the positive to take away is that if/when BB10 comes to PB, what you want to do is likely to be possible.
    01-26-13 03:24 AM