Could anyone here explain any real reasoning as to why there is not a SD card slot on the playbook?

I'm not overly concerned, I do have a use for an SD card slot but I'll just use my micro SD card in the blackberry and take videos/photo's/recordings/etc off of it. (Playbook CAN do this, right?) But yeah, I'm just curious if there is any real justification for it.

My Theory:

My initial thought was that they don't want everyone just buying the 16gb model and then buying a 32gb SD card. Although, that only makes 48gb, so you'd still be stuck needing to buy a higher model if you want more than 48gb.

So if you bought a 32gb model, the "mid-range", and then added a 32gb card, you'd obviously get 64gb. I think THIS is where the problem is. They don't want people effectively getting a 64gb model for lets say, $600... add another $40~... let's say $650 to make it easy.

Obviously, there wouldn't be any real reason not to have a SD card slot on the 64gb as it's the highest they offer, so you'd just be adding on.

Now, here is my reasoning:

I think they cut the SD slot so they can charge in $100 increments between different playbook models. With the current pricing of SD cards there is no way they could effectively get away with charging $100 between playbooks. One or two of the models would sell more than the rest even greater than it will as is if people had the option, and it probably wouldn't be good for business. They'd just have a bunch of 64gb models sitting around since most people would be content with buying a 16gb or 32gb and adding a card.

This is just my theory of course. Maybe I'm missing something that's right in front of me, but this seems like it makes the most sense. At first, I was a bit angry RIM didn't include it - but as long as I can bridge/tether to my photos/videos/recordings/files/etc on my blackberry (kinda the whole point of playbook) then I don't care. Any device that HAS to use an SD card, I can slip the microsd into the adapter for that.

What are your thoughts? All I know is I probably will get the 32gb PB and hope it can tether for these things on my MicroSD in my blackberry, making it have more space.
    Last edited by Momo13Drums; 02-17-11 at 10:29 PM.
    02-17-11 10:26 PM
    Could anyone here explain any real reasoning as to why there is not a SD card slot on the playbook?

I'm not overly concerned, I do have a use for an SD card slot but I'll just use my micro SD card in the blackberry and take videos/photo's/recordings/etc off of it. (Playbook CAN do this, right?) But yeah, I'm just curious if there is any real justification for it.

My Theory:

My initial thought was that they don't want everyone just buying the 16gb model and then buying a 32gb SD card. Although, that only makes 48gb, so you'd still be stuck needing to buy a higher model if you want more than 48gb.

So if you bought a 32gb model, the "mid-range", and then added a 32gb card, you'd obviously get 64gb. I think THIS is where the problem is. They don't want people effectively getting a 64gb model for lets say, $600... add another $40~... let's say $650 to make it easy.

Obviously, there wouldn't be any real reason not to have a SD card slot on the 64gb as it's the highest they offer, so you'd just be adding on.

Now, here is my reasoning:

I think they cut the SD slot so they can charge in $100 increments between different playbook models. With the current pricing of SD cards there is no way they could effectively get away with charging $100 between playbooks. One or two of the models would sell more than the rest even greater than it will as is if people had the option, and it probably wouldn't be good for business. They'd just have a bunch of 64gb models sitting around since most people would be content with buying a 16gb or 32gb and adding a card.

This is just my theory of course. Maybe I'm missing something that's right in front of me, but this seems like it makes the most sense. At first, I was a bit angry RIM didn't include it - but as long as I can bridge/tether to my photos/videos/recordings/files/etc on my blackberry (kinda the whole point of playbook) then I don't care. Any device that HAS to use an SD card, I can slip the microsd into the adapter for that.

What are your thoughts? All I know is I probably will get the 32gb PB and hope it can tether for these things on my MicroSD in my blackberry, making it have more space.

i think it's because Bridge has access to the BlackBerry's SD card.
    02-17-11 10:39 PM
    RIM is still stuck in this "for business or corp use" mentality, therefore they are doing the thinking for you. Even though the PB has a video camera( big files are created with videos) and it has Flash support and also can run games, which can be pretty big files also. It wouldn't take long to get near 16GB.
    Now Android devices can read to and write from the sd card whereas the BB OS never have been able to, so that may be another reason.
    And of course the money making part also, the more versions you make I guess they figure they will sell more.
    Seems strange to me they would build a "high end" device and not include something so basic. Kind of stupid to have to use 2 devices to do one task.
    02-17-11 10:45 PM
    They are catering to the enterprise users by not including it. They should offer one without it for enterprise and one with it for consumers IMO. Just like they do camera and non camera versions of select handhelds.
    02-17-11 11:23 PM
    Well, their plan (whatever it is) isn't flying with me. The lack of an SD slot is the biggest reason I'm probably going to skip the PB, no matter how much I want one. And, FWIW, I would have bought the model and added the card. I don't want to be limited to only 64 GB. Even that's just not really enough for me.
    02-17-11 11:45 PM
    Well, their plan (whatever it is) isn't flying with me. The lack of an SD slot is the biggest reason I'm probably going to skip the PB, no matter how much I want one. And, FWIW, I would have bought the model and added the card. I don't want to be limited to only 64 GB. Even that's just not really enough for me.
    I totally agree, if I want to share a movie or music or whatever, let me slip in a card, use it , take it out, return it and no harm no foul. There may be things you want to have available only for your use, take the card out and it's no longer on your tab.
    02-17-11 11:59 PM
    I agree with what you guys are saying. I think my point/theory as well as some others posted in here are probably spot on...

But yeah, I don't think that truly gives them a good reason to not include the SD slot. Like you guy's are saying, 64gb for a lot of people won't even be enough... so they'd be buying that model and adding a card either way.

If I could get a 64gb model I would. Well, let me rephrase: If I wanted to pay what they will probably be asking (Guessing around $700) for a 64gb then I would. 32GB even is probably gonna be cutting it short for me, at times. I plan on storing TV series and such to take to work and on the road (drumming/gigs) to keep me entertained... and that can add up quick. Just now, I have a series that is 16gb total. Granted, when converted for the playbook size, that collective file size might go down. But not THAT much.

Add on music, photos, apps, videos, etc... it's gonna be tough.

I think it'll be tough for a lot of people to swallow a 16gb model @ $500 without an SD card slot to expand on that. The only way I can see is if PB can indeed take pics/vids/etc from your blackberry via bridge. Even then, 32gb will be the popular model. I think it would be more appropriate as this:

16gb $450
    32gb $500
    64gb $550 or even $600; sometimes with products they will double the price jump if you're getting the highest model.
    02-18-11 12:14 AM
    I haven't really kept up with it...even though this IS disappointing... it does have USB right? If it has USB just hook up a thumb drive or a USB HD... It's easier to move **** around on anyway than SD cards... EVERYONE has use USB... not everyone has an SD card.
    02-18-11 12:53 AM
    I haven't really kept up with it...even though this IS disappointing... it does have USB right? If it has USB just hook up a thumb drive or a USB HD... It's easier to move **** around on anyway than SD cards... EVERYONE has use USB... not everyone has an SD card.
    It is micro usb not standard usb. Flash drives aren't an option.
    02-18-11 12:57 AM
    I think you are finding a conspiracy theory when there simply isn't one, the simplest solution is probably that neither they nor most of those producing honeycomb tablets see it as a particularly important feature when they have a fairly large amount of built-in storage.
    02-18-11 02:13 AM
    I disagree. Many others would agree that even 64gb is not enough. I don't know about you, but I have a very modest collection of music and it alone stands @ around 55gb. If I could have all of it on the playbook, I would. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen.

For instance, if I wanted even half that... lets make it simple; 25gb of my music. Then how about... 10gb for a TV series. Maybe throw in a couple movies and videos - another 15gb. Pictures, another 10gb. Already up to 60gb, leaving 4gb for apps/games... and that would only be including half of my rather modest music collection.... and a few videos, etc.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but on my desktop I have a little over 2TB of storage, and easily 1TB of videos, pics, music, games, etc. Granted, I may be a bit different as I have recordings for my work that take up a ton of space, but I'd guess at least 650-750gb of stuff I could and would want to use/see on the playbook.

I don't expect that much space. However, it's always nice to give the user the option to use their own cards on top of the internal storage... it only goes so far. I wouldn't mind carrying 2 or 3 32GB cards with me.

I think you are finding a conspiracy theory when there simply isn't one, the simplest solution is probably that neither they nor most of those producing honeycomb tablets see it as a particularly important feature when they have a fairly large amount of built-in storage.
    02-18-11 02:58 AM
    I was thinking the same thing.

Also, doesn't this thing have a usb port? If so, you cab use a sd/micro sd adapter and plug into it. If I am not mistaken, the battery isn't removeable, so I imagine thus is not a device like the standard blackberry where provisions are made via slots and tabs for popping a back plate off to access the innards; maybe its not practicle to install a side-mount micro sd slot like an hdmi port.

Either way its something that can be worked around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-11 05:06 AM
    We don't know if it has access to data on your blackberry besides e-mail and bbm yet. Some posts from CX have suggested you can stream music/movies from a blackberry but we definitely have not seen anything official from RIM suggesting it is possible.

As for USB, that's up in the air. Since the playbook was released RIM has been seesawing back and forth about whether or not it is usb to go. We currently do not know for sure.

02-18-11 06:55 AM
    I think this is pathetic reasoning if it's remotely true. So now I would have to keep my phone around a boardroom to show a file because it uses a BB as external storage. Thats assuming it's not already connected to my BT headset.. Fail.
    02-18-11 07:08 AM
    The primary focus for RIM is making secure corporate devices. By not putting a microSD slot in the PB, they are able to accomplish the what they want... and that's not being able to access any private corporate information on the PB once the bridge is severed. I get that.

But then why have any storage on the PB at all? Can't I save the same private information to the 16, 32, or 64GB of storage that will be on the PB?

While I don't think 16GB would be enough storage for me, I'm sure 64GB would be more than enough. I just can't imagine any time I'd need more than a whole TV series, a few thousand songs, a couple of movies, and a couple thousand pics on the PB at any one time. Even if I did get to that much data, I'd sync the PB with my desktop and get rid of what I didn't need. At best, I'd have a thousand songs, a movie or two and a couple hundred pics. Even that seems high to me. Thats just me tho.
    02-18-11 07:38 AM
    I think this is pathetic reasoning if it's remotely true. So now I would have to keep my phone around a boardroom to show a file because it uses a BB as external storage. Thats assuming it's not already connected to my BT headset.. Fail.
    I think for most people, business pros or not, this isn't an issue b/c their phone isn't far from them at any time. And RIM knows this.
    02-18-11 07:42 AM
    The primary focus for RIM is making secure corporate devices. By not putting a microSD slot in the PB, they are able to accomplish the what they want... and that's not being able to access any private corporate information on the PB once the bridge is severed. I get that.

But then why have any storage on the PB at all? Can't I save the same private information to the 16, 32, or 64GB of storage that will be on the PB?

While I don't think 16GB would be enough storage for me, I'm sure 64GB would be more than enough. I just can't imagine any time I'd need more than a whole TV series, a few thousand songs, a couple of movies, and a couple thousand pics on the PB at any one time. Even if I did get to that much data, I'd sync the PB with my desktop and get rid of what I didn't need. At best, I'd have a thousand songs, a movie or two and a couple hundred pics. Even that seems high to me. Thats just me tho.
    That corporate security thing doesn't wash, otherwise there would be no sd card on the phones either. It's just another way to squeeze more money from the consumer, not just RIM, they all do it.
    02-18-11 07:44 AM
    Would you pay $100 more for a device which has an interface for an SD card? If they include more hardware features, the price goes up.

I'm sure they weighed the pros and cons and they aren't trying to squeeze a few bucks from people, and if they are, you are free to not buy one.

If the device supports USBOTG then these conspiracy theories are all null and void.
    02-18-11 08:28 AM
    They are catering to the enterprise users by not including it. They should offer one without it for enterprise and one with it for consumers IMO. Just like they do camera and non camera versions of select handhelds.
    To be honest and IMO RIM can drop the catering to enterprise user talk. Every youtube I've seen they spent mostly showing how great it is playing videos or something similar, then adding NFS.

I've seen very little corp talk or functions towards the enterprise user, even the bridge talk has been confusing.

I think they didn't add a SD slot for the same reason Apple didn't, to get you to buy a larger model and also to save a few dollars on hardware.

It's still a good device though.
    02-18-11 09:01 AM
    I would hope it's not true either, other wise it will fall in to the "See you need a blackberry for this thing to be full operational"
    02-18-11 09:13 AM
    Would you pay $100 more for a device which has an interface for an SD card? If they include more hardware features, the price goes up.

I'm sure they weighed the pros and cons and they aren't trying to squeeze a few bucks from people, and if they are, you are free to not buy one.

If the device supports USBOTG then these conspiracy theories are all null and void.
    An SD slot won't drive the cost up another $100.
    USBOTG is nice but I don't want to have to plug things up to it like you would a dongle. If it get's to where you have to carry extra devices then IMO you negate the portability of the device.
    02-18-11 09:18 AM
    It is micro usb not standard usb. Flash drives aren't an option.
    Sure they are. You can easily get micro-to-standard USB converter or a USB hub. No problemo
    02-18-11 10:01 AM
    USBOTG is nice but I don't want to have to plug things up to it like you would a dongle. If it get's to where you have to carry extra devices then IMO you negate the portability of the device.
    It will drive the cost up because they have to add the circuits and a mechanisim to prevent the user from removing the card at hardware level and software level. From what I can remember the Bold 9000 was the last BB in which you could remove the card without having to turn the unit off. I'm sure there was a valid reason for that.

Missing an SD card slot is not the end of the world. The time it would take you to shut of the device and swap cards, you could have just transfered your files using USB or WiFi anyway. Tablets are essentially a glorified USB stick. It's like asking for the ability to attach an SD card to your USB stick.

Like I said earlier, anyone is free to not get a 1st gen Playbook in favour of another tablet that does support SD cards. There's no conspiracy, they just decided that support for SD cards was not important. It's no different than the decision to launch the device in Black instead of Pink, or with a 7 inch display instead of a 7.5 inch display.
    Last edited by Steve Rizla; 02-18-11 at 10:08 AM.
    02-18-11 10:03 AM
    Dude get real! The Playbook with external 250GB USB 2.5" drive and 4port hub is STILL WAY MORE PORTABLE than my Netbook. PB in one coat pocket the other items in the other pocket
    02-18-11 10:04 AM
    It will drive the cost up because they have to add the circuits and a mechanisim to prevent the user from removing the card at hardware level and software level. From what I can remember the Bold 9000 was the last BB in which you could remove the card without having to turn the unit off. I'm sure there was a valid reason for that.
    Not true, you can safely install and remove your media card without powering off the device (in the majority of new devices)
    Options > storage > remove media card/install media card

Fyi I'm not 100 percent on the other post-9000 phones, but newest torch and 9780 microSD are both accessible without removing the battery

Rim never included more than 1gb(?) Internal memory and nobody complained because we could upgrade and swap our storage at our own leisure. RiM included SD cards so that people weren't angry that their 500+$ phone came with no memory for video recording.

I wont be getting a first gen playbook because of the SD card slot, lack of a flash on the cam :s. Yes I'd pay an extra 100$+ for a full usb port and an sd card slot, I'd even be 100% ok with the playbook coming with 2gb internal memory+ microSD, instead of 16/32/64 fixed. I'd also prefer a removable battery.. Not all batterys are built equal or last the same length..
    My 2cents

02-18-11 10:25 AM
104 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD