RIM handhelds can access gmail or whatever. Yes the native is for people that don't own a bb. BB owners do not need it. Yes I realize that it should've been there etc. but for whatever they chose not to or it wasn't ready.

Only hurting their sales but I'm not so sure apple or droid owners care about the playbook anyway. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
    06-14-11 04:16 PM
    One small thing you're forgetting about. Bridging is only for BB;s (and a limited subset at that), not other non-BB devices, so your target audience is limited.
    Seriously are you trolling me? what does the target audience have to do with anything?, being limited or not the feature already exists, we are discusing its capabillites, advantages and potential, obviously a feature to conect your blackberry to your playbook requieres that you own both devices. Sales, marketshare and target audience has absolutely nothing to do with the functionallity of the app.

Your argument was and i quote "If the bridge is that great, will you still use it when RIM finally releases their native PIM apps to the Playbook?"

I then answered your question by saying yes, and explained to you how bridge goes beyond PIM apps... several times, if you want keep this disscussion going please respond to the arguments i presented, otherwise im done.
    06-14-11 04:20 PM
    You have to remember that Kangtroll thinks that the PB is useless for enterprise use because it doesn't have a "home button". Seriously, that was one of his major gripes so you know where he's coming from and what his motivations are.
    06-14-11 04:25 PM
    Bridge rocks. But its clearly not for everyone. Those that love it, love it a lot. And Kang, I have to say, I don't really feel like I'm carrying 2 devices because my Bold 9700 is so puny I could lose it in the lint in my navel. But the little bugger is fast and furious after the recent updates. So +1 to RIM because I'm rockin' my favourite phone again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 04:34 PM
    Ya, I think before writing unlike you just exhibited.

For example: The native email app for iOS devices allow you to connect to Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo & AOL, no need to connect to the web. Then I use the mail app to access my email... Seriously, think before you write something again, that was uncalled for.
    you have no idea what do you talk about. but go ahead - ignorance is a bliss.
    06-14-11 05:04 PM
    you have no idea what do you talk about. but go ahead - ignorance is a bliss.
    Care to explain what about his post is incorrect?

Apple - iPad - See and touch your mail in all-new ways.
    06-14-11 05:38 PM
    Huh, good for apple users. Whoopie.
    06-14-11 06:18 PM

I don't think it is that post TT. #36 didn't do much for his credibility either. Anyways, classic hijack, and at least the op checked out happy last night
    06-14-11 07:11 PM

no. sorry. i have to go in too much IT stuff that the guy is obviosly unawere of.
    06-14-11 07:19 PM
    no. sorry. i have to go in too much IT stuff that the guy is obviosly unawere of.
    I thought you were making a claim that you cant access gmail, yahoo mail, microsoft exchange and enterprise server mail in one native email app. If you watch the apple video, it proves this premise false.

Were you making a different claim?
    06-14-11 10:17 PM
    So the tethering feature is the same thing as the bridge? Again, I'm sorry for being a complete newbie...have mercy on me.
    No.

Tether is basically "bypassing" your phone to connect to the internet - using your phone as a modem.

The "Bridge" basically makes your PB and "extension" of your phone, and allows you to use the connection from the device.

Say for example you were on BES. If you used the "BRIDGE" - you could access any "intranet" based sites on your corporate network (if your BES admin set it up that way). If you TETHERED using the same phone, the BRIDGE (and your BB) would still be able to access those same "corporate" sites, but the "TETHERED" section of the PB would only be able to access general internet content (unless you're using a VPN, but I digress...).

The BRIDGE is really very nice, but it's not perfect. The tethering (if you have the plan) works flawlessly once you've set up the bridge.

When I was testing, I was getting between 700K and 1.5M down on the tether... slightly slower on the bridge browser.
    06-14-11 10:58 PM
    Talk about ignorance is bliss... Please enlighten us all with your "IT stuff", that I'm clearly unaware of... I can't wait.
    06-15-11 07:00 AM
    what does the target audience have to do with anything?,
    If the Bridge is a main selling point for the Playbook, then your audience for selling it is primarily for BB users.

If you're going to continue to use the Bridge when a native PIM suite hits the Playbook, great for you. Enjoy it.
    06-15-11 07:03 AM
    #36:
    If the bridge is that great, will you still use it when RIM finally releases their native PIM apps to the Playbook?

I think once RIM releases these apps, people will realize what a silly concept of bridging is. Bridging is a simply stop-gap solution that RIM came up with until a native PIM suite was available for the Playbook.

Yes, I fully understand that you can tether it with your BB and get free slow internet, etc. But when RIM releases their 3G/4G models with native email, the bridge will be obsolete, don't you think?
    #36 didn't do much for his credibility either.
    How so?
    06-15-11 07:22 AM
    I'm honestly waiting too.
    06-15-11 07:24 AM
    Hi Kang the Troll as you've named yourself. Maybe you should go back underneath your bridge and take a nap, then you can come back out fresh to scare the people.

All kidding aside some trolls do bring up a good point but most don't. Carry on.
    06-15-11 07:28 AM
    It is amazing how the troll label gets thrown around since the playbook release. I am also surprised at how many threads get closed. I was reading an interesting one about the future of RIM and the mods abruptly locked it because people had the audacity to give opinions of the future stock price. Huh?

Crackberry Kevin had a blog about his belief that playbook sales are low (200,000). I guarantee if a forum member started a thread like that it would be closed as trolling.
    06-15-11 07:38 AM
    The main feature of the bridge is that it secures your PIM data. If your device is stolen your data remains on your phone. A nice benefit is you don't have to sync the playbook email, calendar, contact list etc with your phone since you are always working with the phone's data.
    OTOH if your phone is lost or stolen, so are your contacts and calendar appointments.
    06-15-11 11:16 AM
    If the Bridge is a main selling point for the Playbook, then your audience for selling it is primarily for BB users.

If you're going to continue to use the Bridge when a native PIM suite hits the Playbook, great for you. Enjoy it.
    People are already using Bridge along with the native apps, Bridge browser is an example, i hate to repeat myself and im finding hard to believe that you serioulsly cant comprehend this concept... Bridge is not just for PIM.
    06-15-11 12:47 PM
    It is amazing how the troll label gets thrown around since the playbook release. I am also surprised at how many threads get closed. I was reading an interesting one about the future of RIM and the mods abruptly locked it because people had the audacity to give opinions of the future stock price. Huh?
    I threw the troll label for the only reason that the poster was unwilling or unable to have a serious discussion, i replied to his posts with valid reasons and i was hoping to hear an honest reply for why he didnt agree with me, instead i got lame responses that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, i dont care if people hate the playbook, Blackberry, RIM or whatever, but some people seems to post here with the only reason to create flamewars... thats trolling.

The tittle of this thread is "Explain the benefits of the Bridge feature" , i found Kang Tsui argument about native PIM apps to be a valid one, so i replied with my reasons as to why i think native PIM apps dont affect the usabillty and potential of the Bridge, if anyone wants to keep this disscusion going im more than willing to reply.

I do agree though that some people also gets way to heated up when someone mentions anything bad about the PB, seriously guys this device isnt perfect by any means, people have the right to complain on the devices they bought, its our right as consumers, i love my playbook but i know its not for everyone.
    grover5 likes this.
    06-15-11 01:05 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD