I got an email on the weekend with an excel attachment, I opened the attachment, but was warned it was read only. I was happy how easily I could modify it on the playbook however of course, I had no way to save my changes and email it back to the person sending it.

is there a way to edit these documents on the PB? This is one of the big reasons I wanted it because it was impossible to do on the road on my phone.
    04-25-11 07:47 AM
    maybe the original document sent to you had security on it?
    04-25-11 07:53 AM
    You can send it to another email address (gmail,hotmail, etc.) and retrieve the file from the web... a weird extra step.

There should be a option directly on the bb phone to lock/unlock this possibility with bridge. "IT" people would be able to manage it easily and normal people would have full fonctionality.

maybe a password each time you save a file to PB and an autodestruction feature when bridge closes or after a certain amount of time...
    04-25-11 08:12 AM
    no security on the file, opened it later on my laptop and made the changes and sent back, however I was so happy how easy it was to make the changes to the file on the PB. But if I can't save them or send them back, whats the point.

I'll try the web thing however what a pain. This might be okay for me as a test however its hard to suggest this to my company if people in the field can't modify an attachment.
    04-25-11 08:21 AM
    Don't have a playback yet but as for your problem have you tried saving the Excel file under a different name then try re-saving. I have to do something similar with my POS work pc to save excels.
    04-25-11 11:33 PM
    I just tested this out on my own and wow - what a stupid shortcoming. I really do hope they fix this, part of the major selling points of docs to go in the first place is being able to quickly edit and send back a document.

The reason you are not able to edit the file may be related to the fact that it looks like the Bridge saves the attachment on your blackberry (/Blackberry/Documents/Bridge to be exact) and Bridge may not be able to do read/write.
    04-26-11 12:16 AM
    I open an excel sheet recently but I was unable to view the charts/graphs in the file. Anyone else have this problem?
    04-26-11 01:00 AM
    I got an email on the weekend with an excel attachment, I opened the attachment, but was warned it was read only. I was happy how easily I could modify it on the playbook however of course, I had no way to save my changes and email it back to the person sending it.

is there a way to edit these documents on the PB? This is one of the big reasons I wanted it because it was impossible to do on the road on my phone.
    There is a save as option in Word-To-Go. Would assume it is the same in Excel...just as a read only works on your PC, save as and you should be fine. Unless it is locked as stated above.
    04-26-11 01:29 AM
    There is a save as option in Word-To-Go. Would assume it is the same in Excel...just as a read only works on your PC, save as and you should be fine. Unless it is locked as stated above.
    Thats what I thought but when I tried it for myself it doesn't give you an option to save as or any options at all for that matter. I hope they fix this - that makes no sense.
    04-26-11 01:43 AM
    I got a message as I was trying to open the attachment that is was read-only and could not be saved.

I opened it with gmail from Browser and downloaded the file but I'm having trouble "finding" it so that Sheets can open it. You are limited in where you can browse for files and when I follow file:\\\etc... path and find it, selecting it does not open it in Sheets but merely offers to SAVE it again.

Hmm.....
    04-26-11 09:41 AM
    The way email attachments are handled is really stupid.

If the document is editable, why can't you edit it on the playbook? If you have access to the email, you can easily forward it to another account where you can edit it. So, why the stupid extra step? It adds no security.
    04-26-11 10:12 AM
    I open an excel sheet recently but I was unable to view the charts/graphs in the file. Anyone else have this problem?
    I also am unable to view Excel charts and graphs. Is this a shortcoming of the Playbook? I can view the data. Thanks.
    10-07-11 08:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD