I do a ton of work daily in Excel. I'm trying to decide between an Ipad and a Playbook, or maybe no tablet at all. Docs to go really doesn't seem to be robust enough. Anyone out there doing a lot of spreadsheets?
    05-22-11 04:35 PM
    I do a ton of work daily in Excel. I'm trying to decide between an Ipad and a Playbook, or maybe no tablet at all. Docs to go really doesn't seem to be robust enough. Anyone out there doing a lot of spreadsheets?
    WHAT do you do in your spreadsheets?

I have probably 200 spread sheets saved on my playbook, and use a few very regularly.

BUT that said most of my spread sheet work is data retrieval, or basic data input. I don't require advanced functions, ( though I could use pivot tables)
    05-22-11 04:46 PM
    Excel in particular still requires a netbook at very least. No tablets I have seen really unlock the very useful features in Excel, including sadly the Playbook. I bought the Playbook mainly because it included full version of DocsToGo, which I bought for my Bold. On the Bold I didnt mess with Sheets too much because of the screen size. I, like you, would expect much more along these lines from the Playbook.
    05-22-11 04:47 PM
    I do everything from financial statements to fantasy football analysis in my spreadsheets. I started on spreadsheets back with Lotus 1.0

I understand that I can't expect everything I get from my laptop Excel on the tablet docs, but I was wondering if it's as tedious as I am first seeing, or am I just in shock from the first exposure.
    05-22-11 04:52 PM
    Get a netbook or laptop, come on seriously its just a tablet it can't completely replace the functionality of a pc. Maybe future tablets but now is demanding a bit too much of something that's not fully developed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-11 04:52 PM
    I do everything from financial statements to fantasy football analysis in my spreadsheets. I started on spreadsheets back with Lotus 1.0

I understand that I can't expect everything I get from my laptop Excel on the tablet docs, but I was wondering if it's as tedious as I am first seeing, or am I just in shock from the first exposure.

buy a Windows based tablet...
    Sheets to Go is certainly not a quality Excel replacement, I have to admit that on the Playbook is has been my best mobile experience since my Audiovox thera and Office 2000 but it still doesn't compare to real Excel
    05-22-11 04:59 PM
    Get a netbook or laptop,
    Already have two laptops. I'm looking for something to supplement when I need to travel fast and light.
    05-22-11 05:00 PM
    With the new "friendship" between RIM & Microsoft maybe we'll see a version of Office for the tablet.

My wife had a Windows7 phone for a few days and I played with Excel. It was pretty nice.
    05-22-11 05:14 PM
    i find it okay to view files with pinch to zoom, but there is a lot it does not do. no autofilters, pivot tables, view single cell, etc. I'm assuming it will improve in the months ahead.
    05-22-11 06:04 PM
    Though I have not used it, people tell me Numbers on the iPad is quite good, and far better than Doc2Go. Personally, I can't picture doing any heavy spreadsheet work on either tablet.
    05-22-11 06:10 PM
    To give you a straight answer do not buy the playbook for use of excel. Definitely not ready for heavy or even moderate use IMO.. from what I've seen without taking Numbers into consideration even the docs2go suite available on the ipad is much better than the one that's pre-installed on the playbook. Mind you if you're willing to wait, I'm sure there will be an update eventually that will make the docs2go suite on the playbook more useful.
    05-23-11 10:36 AM

I understand that I can't expect everything I get from my laptop Excel on the tablet docs
    If you're trying to any sort of real financial statement analysis or building models the playvook docs2go wpnt cpme anywhere near what you need. I bought it partly in the hopes that I could bring it with me everywhere to work on some excel models and FSA schedule building but its just too tedious even with a bluetooth keyboard n mouse. Its great for viewing the premade models or data-entry/light-editing but if you took the time and efort to learn excel quick-hand (no mouse, all keyboard) this app will really throw you off.

Maybe the next best thing is to use a vNC client and just access your computers real excel abd processing power (ahem, can't forget to mention the all-important function auto-fill feature).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-11 04:40 PM
    I'm trying to utilize dropdown menus in Excel on the tablet (which I've created on a PC), but when I load the documents, the drop down menu just isn't there in the cells that they should be.
    Is a drop down menu even possible on the tablet, or is this just wishful thinking?
    04-26-12 11:10 AM
    Smart Office actually isn't bad for spreadsheets; I prefer it over Docs to Go.

Don't know if it represents enough of an improvement to replace Excel on a notebook; depends on what functionality a user needs.
    blobster6 likes this.
    04-26-12 11:29 AM
    I've setup my desktop computer with excel and just use the RDP application (5.99 i believe) to remote to it and do excel work that way
    04-26-12 12:44 PM
    If I were you, I'd try to hold out until the Windows 8 tablets come out in the Fall/Winter. They will be able to run full blown versions of Excel, including all the advanced functions, etc. Another alternative, although I haven't tried it out, is Office365. It allows you to open and work on your spreadsheets using online versions of Office through Microsoft directly. There is a monthly fee, but it seems fairly low ($6 per user per month).
    04-26-12 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD